*PSA* typeb's Quarterly public service announcement *PSA*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! It's that time of the year again... yep, the fall issue of my quarterly public service announcement series.

First, i want to again congratulate the first year newbies. I hope all is going well.

This issue will focus on several important subject areas: grades, humility, and entitlement.

Grades
I see much discussion questioning the importance of grades. Let me assure you that they are still important. While some people can achieve excellent grades with ease (i.e. yours truly), others must struggle and put in hours-on-end to accomplish this distinction. This struggle is not without a great reward. When you are applying to top programs and receiving more interviews than you know what to do with, you can silently laugh at your buddy who "had a rockin' time last night at the bar" but is now ready to be los angeles' premier family practice physician. I sometimes wish i could give my photographic memory skills to someone else just to have them understand how great it is to be able to read something only once and never forget it, but I think i miss out on the medical school experience. Just once, i'd like to be made to study for more than an hour a day and see what it's like to live like some of my peers. But it's a moot point and i'm rambling now.

Humility
I have noticed several threads exemplifying what the greeks might have called "hubris." But since we do not live in Greece, i more appropriately refer to it as unsubstantiated arrogance. It is unsubstantiated because turning your brain into a memorize-machine fails to classify as exemplary in terms of accomplishments. If a monkey had opposable thumbs and a proper larynx, it too could pass freshman anatomy. To see such threads as "I pwned my classmates on the anatomy shelf, etc" brings a tear to my eye. If you think you really are all that, i suggest you take a trip to your local mathematics or physics department--fields of academia that require actual genius and not superior dedication to memorization. You can sit here and debate all you'd like with me, but i can recite to you an entire short story after only reading it once; it is a neat trick, but i am not genius and nor is anyone else soley based on the fact that they can remember things well. Please try to keep this in mind as you talk down to your classmates and other "non medical school schleps" (i.e. your roomate who only carried a "B" average in mechanical engineering at a top 5 school).

Entitlement
Lastly, i would like to address the common fallacy that as a medical student, you are entitled to have things go your way. This is wholly wrong and i'm sorry that you have been mislead; no one cares about whether or not you get nervous when the teacher pimps you, and you're not going to get sympathy from anyone because you "missed Honors by .000003%." Learn to deal with it as most students are tired of hearing you whine. Along similar lines, you are entitled to ask questions, BUT you are NOT entitled to ask multiple questions at the end of lecture when everyone is ready to leave because the speaker has gone over his/her allotted time by 20 minutes. If you feel like brown-nosing, you are free to do this on your own time. And let me assure you, also, that no one thinks you are smarter for your psuedophilosophical, vacuous 'inquiries' (please see above: humility).

Thank you for your time, and i hope this has enlightened the impressionable young minds of this wonderful forum. Please feel free to await the winter installment for more words of encouragement.

I am,
-B

Members don't see this ad.

Is that "B" as in cluster B?

typeB-md said:
While some people can achieve excellent grades with ease (i.e. yours truly), others must struggle and put in hours-on-end to accomplish this distinction. ... I sometimes wish i could give my photographic memory skills to someone else just to have them understand how great it is to be able to read something only once and never forget it, but I think i miss out on the medical school experience.
...i more appropriately refer to it as unsubstantiated arrogance. It is unsubstantiated because turning your brain into a memorize-machine fails to classify as exemplary in terms of accomplishments. ...You can sit here and debate all you'd like with me, but i can recite to you an entire short story after only reading it once;
-B

Are you serious with this announcement? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You talk about unsubstantiated arrogance but your entire post reeks of arrogance and superiority. If in fact you truly do have a photographic memory, how exactly did you earn it? What's less substantiated than arrogance resulting from something that you had absolutely no control over? Why do you have so much pride over the fact that you are essentially a freak of nature, a drastic departure from the norm? You may not know this, but "turning your brain into a memorize-machine [sic]" is a hell of an accomplishment that takes years of hard work and dedication. I have far more respect for "normal" people who work their tails off in medical school to get top scores than for people like you who, by pure luck, end up with advantageous traits. The arrogance that you yourself are guilty of is akin to someone like Shaq thinking that his success is due purely to his own work ethic and nothing to do with his lucky genetic makeup. What exactly are you compensating for? Perhaps you have zero self-respect and felt the need to post a self-aggrandizing message to hundreds of people you don't know in order to boost your own ego. True genius doesn't need to flaunt it like you do. Perhaps you should heed your own advice about humility and entitlement.
:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Lighten up :thumbup: You are obiously a newbe and not well versed in the ways of Type B. Type B is a regular poster who typically hides his often useful, enlightening and correct information within a somewhat arrogant and twisted sense of humor. Most of us have come to find him rather amusing.

Plus any responses like yours are simply troll-food and I'm sure he will have a very entertaining response :D
ToxicFugu said:
Are you serious with this announcement? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You talk about unsubstantiated arrogance but your entire post reeks of arrogance and superiority. If in fact you truly do have a photographic memory, how exactly did you earn it? What's less substantiated than arrogance resulting from something that you had absolutely no control over? Why do you have so much pride over the fact that you are essentially a freak of nature, a drastic departure from the norm? You may not know this, but "turning your brain into a memorize-machine [sic]" is a hell of an accomplishment that takes years of hard work and dedication. I have far more respect for "normal" people who work their tails off in medical school to get top scores than for people like you who, by pure luck, end up with advantageous traits. The arrogance that you yourself are guilty of is akin to someone like Shaq thinking that his success is due purely to his own work ethic and nothing to do with his lucky genetic makeup. What exactly are you compensating for? Perhaps you have zero self-respect and felt the need to post a self-aggrandizing message to hundreds of people you don't know in order to boost your own ego. True genius doesn't need to flaunt it like you do. Perhaps you should heed your own advice about humility and entitlement.

ToxicFugu said:
First, let me give kudos for the superb use of "[sic]"... although i'm not quite sure it fits (as my writing is without flaw), it certainly is appreciated.

As the great Don King once said, "the honstincity of hostocity was so clear you could cut it with a knife." I feel this about sums up your mislead diatribe. And you clearly have missed the point where i said i was not a genius; it seems that your failure of comprehension is second only to your hostility.

My entire point was that just because i could probably memorize more in a week than you could in a year, this does not make me "better" than you. I have scored nothing less than 99th percentile on any subject exam i have taken. Is this better than most of my classmates? Yes. Do i put in 1/20th of the time that they put in? Yes. Do i gloat or falsely assume that i am more intelligent than my classmates? No, absolutely not -- i am not misguided.

You, however, are misguided. If you really think that dedication to memorization is a "respectable" skill then i feel sorry for you. Be assured that most genuine intellectuals giggle at idea of medical school; they would not be caught dead wasting their precious brain on something as menial as memorizing the lumbosacral plexus when real problems still exist to be solved and discussed. I wish you could be as lucky as I, and i really mean this, because then maybe you could be more able to appreciate the error in your current thinking.

I foresee surgery in your future. Just remember to mind your manners.

And just in case you ever get too full of yourself, thinking you are God's gift to the world... with such an amazing breadth of knowledge and such dedication to time management... remind yourself that somewhere out there, the typeb-md's of the world are laughing at your misguided (and likely discontented) self.

typeB-md said:
And let me assure you, also, that no one thinks you are smarter for your psuedophilosophical, vacuous 'inquiries'

amen! :thumbup:

dynx said:
Is that "B" as in cluster B?

Although this post by wasn't actually that bad and in fact almost all of what he said (barring the subtle or not so subtle gloating that he works less than his classmates) is actually right on the money you may have something there with the Cluster B personality trait (maybe a little Antisocial Personality disorder combined with a touch of Narcissistic Personality Disorder) . . . good observation!!!!

hakksar said:
Although this post by wasn't actually that bad and in fact almost all of what he said (barring the subtle or not so subtle gloating that he works less than his classmates) is actually right on the money you may have something there with the Cluster B personality trait (maybe a little Antisocial Personality disorder combined with a touch of Narcissistic Personality Disorder) . . . good observation!!!!
if you feel the need to organize people into clusters, you might want to take a long, introspective look at yourself and your own life.

and it still doesn't change the fact that my wisdom is without bound.

-b

ToxicFugu said:

dude- i got news for you. ANYBODY can memorize random crap...ANYBODY. yeah, we work hard in medschool but don't kid yourself into thinking that someone has to "turn" their brain into anything to excel in medschool. pretty much anyone has the ability to memorize stuff (some must work harder at it) hence, the phrase you use --"turning your brain into" --is sort of silly.

and yeah, I gotta hand it to Type B, he is 100% correct when he says examples of true genius can be found when looking at what mathematicians, engineers, and physicists do. medschool is a joke when you compare it to these disciplines. and when i say 'joke' i mean there is very little independant, creative, outside the box thinking, or trying to understand a really hard concept, etc, etc, etc, when it comes to the first few years of medschool curriculum. maybe you need something a little harder to compare it to instead of whatever you may have majored in in undergrad.

Amen to that. I found engineering much more interesting to learn (esp. the physics of microelectronics). However, I feel that medicine will be much more interesting to practice....... for now, this crap is extremely boring. Hard work and ability to memorize = do well. Intellect hardly comes into play. The few times they've written mildly intellectually stimulating test, half the class failed and everyone bitched up a storm :thumbdown:.
lil pook said:
dude- i got news for you. ANYBODY can memorize random crap...ANYBODY. yeah, we work hard in medschool but don't kid yourself into thinking that someone has to "turn" their brain into anything to excel in medschool. pretty much anyone has the ability to memorize stuff (some must work harder at it) hence, the phrase you use --"turning your brain into" --is sort of silly.

and yeah, I gotta hand it to Type B, he is 100% correct when he says examples of true genius can be found when looking at what mathematicians, engineers, and physicists do. medschool is a joke when you compare it to these disciplines. and when i say 'joke' i mean there is very little independant, creative, outside the box thinking, or trying to understand a really hard concept, etc, etc, etc, when it comes to the first few years of medschool curriculum. maybe you need something a little harder to compare it to instead of whatever you may have majored in in undergrad.

Amazing about the Memorization thing.

I don't get how some people can memorize EVERY single little detail that pops up during the pathology section of the course.. IE what percentage of people with disease X get complication Y with treatment A, without treatment, and with treatment B.

Yet, the exact same person, if you put a Wigger's Diagram in front of them, say "Stenosis is valves that open bad, regurgitation is valves that don't close all the way, identifty where the various murmors take place." Will be completely lost.

I have no hope of doing the former, and the latter seems second nature to me.

I will say, however, that the first person in my example woud be able to give the factoids that "Stenotic valves open poorly, and regurgitation is when the valves don't close all the way."

typeB-md said:
Be assured that most genuine intellectuals giggle at idea of medical school; they would not be caught dead wasting their precious brain on something as menial as memorizing the lumbosacral plexus when real problems still exist to be solved and discussed. I wish you could be as lucky as I, and i really mean this, because then maybe you could be more able to appreciate the error in your current thinking.

I foresee surgery in your future. Just remember to mind your manners.

Unfortunately you neglect to mention that to solve those problems, you first have to learn the material upon which they rest. This exists in all disciplines. And of course much of medicine is just memorizing lots of crap, and yes docs are simply glorified mechanics in many respects, but what's your point? Plenty of people find mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry, or any other subject equally easy, and yet couldn't hack doing work in history, philosophy, or even medicine. I really don't see how your post provides any useful adviec whatsoever. Duh grades matter, and of course we all agree with the etitlement section, but everything else you wrote is vacuous. I see no point to your thread. Do you think you are special for pointing out the obvious?

typeB strikes again!

the 1st year will eventually catch on...........

Members don't see this ad :)
Alexander Pink said:
Plenty of people find mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry, or any other subject equally easy, and yet couldn't hack doing work in history, philosophy, or even medicine.
They would go insane with boredom.

Anyway, I think this is TypeB's attempt at humor.

typeB-md said:
if you feel the need to organize people into clusters, you might want to take a long, introspective look at yourself and your own life.

and it still doesn't change the fact that my wisdom is without bound.

-b

my guess is you haven't memorized your psych notes yet...run along and look it up so you can come back here and pretend you allready knew it.
Nobody is organizing you friend, it was a question about your screen name which seems to allude to a designation of some sort. I was wondering if it was Type-A vs. Type-B or, what seems to be the more fitting cluster B traits you portray. Just an observation, if it hurt your feelings I'm sorry. Narcissistic injury is a pain no?

I see that some of the first-year students are under the happy illusion that they are actually learning material rather than making exceptional use of short-term memory. Just wait until next year and see if you can remember a darn thing about the brachial plexus. Then you will appreciate this post.

lil pook said:

possibly separated at birth?!

seriously though, it is nice to see that someone else understands what i was getting at. i really get sick of my classmates and other medical students acting like they are gifts to this earth. anyone who has seen real genius can appreciate that medical school doesn't take real genius... it's a shame and i wish it would change, though. i get the feeling, however, that many students are more than happy to do nothing but lock themselves in a room and memorize stuff.

thackl said:
Amen to that. I found engineering much more interesting to learn (esp. the physics of microelectronics). However, I feel that medicine will be much more interesting to practice....... for now, this crap is extremely boring. Hard work and ability to memorize = do well. Intellect hardly comes into play. The few times they've written mildly intellectually stimulating test, half the class failed and everyone bitched up a storm :thumbdown:.
hahaha... i hear you man. "What the hell, this wasn't in our notes!!" "How come you didn't give us a practice test" "What you told us was going to be on the exam wasn't!!!"

Sometimes i just want to slap them in the face and tell them to act right. They can't control tests that require thinking and as we all know, these typeA machines can't have anything out of their control. The whole "outside the box" and "thinking about the unknown" are foreign concepts to these individuals. Just put in on paper and let them memorize it!

Alexander Pink said:
Unfortunately you neglect to mention that to solve those problems, you first have to learn the material upon which they rest. This exists in all disciplines. And of course much of medicine is just memorizing lots of crap, and yes docs are simply glorified mechanics in many respects, but what's your point? Plenty of people find mathematics, engineering, physics, chemistry, or any other subject equally easy, and yet couldn't hack doing work in history, philosophy, or even medicine. I really don't see how your post provides any useful adviec whatsoever. Duh grades matter, and of course we all agree with the etitlement section, but everything else you wrote is vacuous. I see no point to your thread. Do you think you are special for pointing out the obvious?
It sounds like someone's mommy gave them a little too much praise, no?

People in chemistry, physics, etc... choose not to do work in history, philosophy, or medicine. Any dimwit can memorize things. It takes no special abstract thinking abilities to master medicine or history (philosophy does take some thinking, but in the end, who really is affected by modern philosophy?). Gifted engineers and physicists scoff at memorization and refuse to waste brain power on such a menial task. True genius is in the form of novel reasoning, not regurgitating the material from the 300 powerpoint slides you were given.

and my point is not that memorization is "el diablo," but rather, my point is that medical students need to take a chill pill when it comes to their egos and thinking that they are "smart" because they can remember stupid insignificant facts.

p.s. i already used the word "vacuous." stop repeating what i say and think for yourself.

-b

dynx said:
my guess is you haven't memorized your psych notes yet...run along and look it up so you can come back here and pretend you allready knew it.
Nobody is organizing you friend, it was a question about your screen name which seems to allude to a designation of some sort. I was wondering if it was Type-A vs. Type-B or, what seems to be the more fitting cluster B traits you portray. Just an observation, if it hurt your feelings I'm sorry. Narcissistic injury is a pain no?
*sigh* some children are hopeless.

I love type-b's public service announcements. I find them funny and a refreshing breath of honesty after being surrounded by my classmates all day. :)

typeB-md said:
hahaha... i hear you man. "What the hell, this wasn't in our notes!!" "How come you didn't give us a practice test" "What you told us was going to be on the exam wasn't!!!"

I had to laugh when I read this..I couldn't agree more...this drives me crazy!

typeB-md said:
possibly separated at birth?!

seriously though, it is nice to see that someone else understands what i was getting at. i really get sick of my classmates and other medical students acting like they are gifts to this earth. anyone who has seen real genius can appreciate that medical school doesn't take real genius... it's a shame and i wish it would change, though. i get the feeling, however, that many students are more than happy to do nothing but lock themselves in a room and memorize stuff.

I hate to admit this, you come off as a total a** in most of your posts, but even though you took the time to tell us all how great you are in this post - the general theme is right on. most of my fellow med students think they're gods gift because they can memorize 1000 pages of notes in a few days - it isn't talent, if anything its a sickness. Most of them also look down on PhDs in fields like those that you mentioned as if they're just people that fell short of the MD.

PhDs thoroughly understand what they work on, and most med students get thoroughly annoyed when they have to understand something rather than memorize a list - they're just lazy.

I didn't think that other med student noticed this - it's good to hear, even from you B. :)

nala said:
I had to laugh when I read this..I couldn't agree more...this drives me crazy!
And 2nd yr is primarily taught by MD's...... so guess what kind of tests we're getting this yr?

I would do pretty well on those "hard" (using the adjective loosely) tests last yr (written by the phd's).

You're my new hero!

Not kidding! :thumbup:

Sincerely,

Julius Hibbert

typeB-md said:

People in chemistry, physics, etc... choose not to do work in history, philosophy, or medicine. Any dimwit can memorize things. It takes no special abstract thinking abilities to master medicine or history (philosophy does take some thinking, but in the end, who really is affected by modern philosophy?). Gifted engineers and physicists scoff at memorization and refuse to waste brain power on such a menial task. True genius is in the form of novel reasoning, not regurgitating the material from the 300 powerpoint slides you were given.

and my point is not that memorization is "el diablo," but rather, my point is that medical students need to take a chill pill when it comes to their egos and thinking that they are "smart" because they can remember stupid insignificant facts.

p.s. i already used the word "vacuous." stop repeating what i say and think for yourself.

-b

typeB-md said:

-b

While I agree completely that the memorization aspect of medicine (ie the entire 1st 2 years of medical school) require minimal intelligence at best . . . I feel (and I may be proven wrong about this in the future) that the actual clinical problem solving of medicine is at least a bit more intellectual. I do agree completely that the people who think they are smart just because they can retain a million facts in their head are pretty lame. However, just like solving difficult problems in physics requires intelligence I feel that being able to diagnose a condition that presents atypically or developing a novel way of treating a condition, or being the guys that had the guts to stand up and say that despite the conventional wisdom H. pylori causes most stomach ulcers requires at least a semblance of intelligence and abstract thinking. But hey, what do I know . . . I am not even smart enough to memorize 100% of everything I read.

A great man once said "Wisdom is how you use knowledge in everyday life" . . . I feel that is true in medicine as well. Anyone can memorize information if they try hard enough but can they apply it appropriately?

completely off topic - but every time I read typeB's posts, I hear John McCain reading them...this of course makes things much funnier because of McCain's quirky (awkward) public speaking manner.

Flopotomist said:
completely off topic - but every time I read typeB's posts, I hear John McCain reading them...this of course makes things much funnier because of McCain's quirky (awkward) public speaking manner.
HA! +1

Like type-b, I have the amazing ability to retain copious amounts of information after minimal studying. I read Moore's anatomy at age six, and I can recite it back to you verbatim. I can tell you which Netter plate has a good view of the Foramen of Winslow. I studied scrabble lists during the downtime at the MCAT and scored a 45T.

Unlike type-b, I think that I AM better than you...all of you. I am a good looking, atheltic, philanthropic, diligent, ****ing genius. You are all pathetic losers by comparison. Women who glance at me as I'm walking down the street have spontaneous screaming orgasms and faint in ecstasy. I can run a sub 4 minute mile and bench 425 lbs with minimal training. I donated my left kidney and my right lung to a starving 10 year old in Zimbabwe. I am at maximum efficiency every minute of every day (as I write this, I am simultaneously reviewing primary literature in a biological anthropology journal, playing a grandmaster-level chess game on the internet chess club, and performing remote laproscopic heart surgery on the president of Russia).

To top it off, I have a massive penis. It has got amazing skin tone, symmetry and proportionality too. God damn I'm awesome.

Callogician said:
Like type-b, I have the amazing ability to retain copious amounts of information after minimal studying. I read Moore's anatomy at age six, and I can recite it back to you verbatim. I can tell you which Netter plate has a good view of the Foramen of Winslow. I studied scrabble lists during the downtime at the MCAT and scored a 45T.

Unlike type-b, I think that I AM better than you...all of you. I am a good looking, atheltic, philanthropic, diligent, ****ing genius. You are all pathetic losers by comparison. Women who glance at me as I'm walking down the street have spontaneous screaming orgasms and faint in ecstasy. I can run a sub 4 minute mile and bench 425 lbs with minimal training. I donated my left kidney and my right lung to a starving 10 year old in Zimbabwe. I am at maximum efficiency every minute of every day (as I write this, I am simultaneously reviewing primary literature in a biological anthropology journal, playing a grandmaster-level chess game on the internet chess club, and performing remote laproscopic heart surgery on the president of Russia).

To top it off, I have a massive penis. It has got amazing skin tone, symmetry and proportionality too. God damn I'm awesome.
i doubt you are good looking. :scared:

typeB-md said:
:laugh: You just ruined everything :laugh:

typeB-md said:

Come now. I may not be sexy, but I'm certainly comely. I'm the type of guy that women will want to marry in ten years...but I wouldn't dare cheat on Rosie Palms.

Gunners Unite!

matt damon is gay!

no seriously.

YouDontKnowJack said:
matt damon is gay!

no seriously.

Like we are going to believe you , you don't know jack... no seriously

Freakedout said:
Too bad, not all of us can be matt damon

TeamAmerica.jpg

"MATT ...... DAMON"

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Callogician said:

Just so you know, I'm starting a cult in your honor. Do you prefer pig sacrificing or drug-induced trances to be performed as rituals?

typeB-md said:
I actually think he is a total babe.

yellowcat322 said:
Just so you know, I'm starting a cult in your honor. Do you prefer pig sacrificing or drug-induced trances to be performed as rituals?

Neither. I am not easily quelled by pleasantries. I want unquestioning belief in my supremacy independent of reason or logic. I want a ridiculous mythology involving non-existent creatures, a laughable cosmogony, arbitrary and tedious rituals, tales of ancient longevity, anthropomorphized deistic intervention, idealization of a race, cruel punishment by the supernatural, and the advocation of rape, incest, pillaging, and genocide. I want a massive worldwide brainwashing campaign. I want you to form a meme so powerful that it outcompetes modern theories despite incrediblly detailed peer-reviewed scientific evidence. I want people to kill for me and die for me. I want the very concept of calm, open minded, evidence-based philosophical inquiry for truth to be seen as odious by the masses.

[/non-sequitur]

Callogician said:
(snort) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I have never laughed so hard while simultaneously being aroused.

thackl said:
The few times they've written mildly intellectually stimulating test, half the class failed and everyone bitched up a storm QUOTE]

You must go to a bottom tier school

PoorMD said:
thackl said:
The few times they've written mildly intellectually stimulating test, half the class failed and everyone bitched up a storm QUOTE]

You must go to a bottom tier school

What. I thought Harvard was the same.

No wait. They have open-book tests. that's why no one bitches.

thackl said:
Lighten up :thumbup: You are obiously a newbe and not well versed in the ways of Type B. Type B is a regular poster who typically hides his often useful, enlightening and correct information within a somewhat arrogant and twisted sense of humor. Most of us have come to find him rather amusing.

Plus any responses like yours are simply troll-food and I'm sure he will have a very entertaining response :D

Not everyone who isn't a newbie finds Type-B's regular asinine posts amusing.

As for his memorization ability, I simply don't believe him. Maybe it's true but I highly doubt it. I mean come on, play the odds. He claims to be better able to quickly memorize facts and even stories quicker than 99.99% of the population? Odds are he's lying.

In addition, Type B, that's fine if you want to dog on the lack of intelligence among medical students, that's your opinion. But I really don't see the horrid arrogance that you claim is so pervasive among medical students. I haven't run into very many people at all who claim to be honoring everything or even care that much. I guess wherever you go is somewhere that people have no life outside of school or something? Honestly, I can't recall encountering even one classmate who is half as arrogant as you.

Although, I must wholeheartedly agree with your condemnation of students who ask annoying questions at the end of lectures. No one believes for a minute that they're genuinely interested in the fine details of membrane dynamics and we all just want to go to lunch. I agree that brown-nosing should be done in private.