Pstp / Cstp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just joined the list. Please forgive me if this thread has been discussed and I just missed it, or if it belonged over in combined degree land. But...

Do you know of any lists of physician scientist training programs (PSTP) / clinician scientist training programs (CSTP)? I heard a talk about them last year, but I still haven't found a centralized place to compare them. I don't think Frieda lists programs this way.

In case you're not familar, this programs often tie together your residency, clinical fellowship, and postdoc and are geared for people who graduate from research-oriented programs like MSTP's.

We just started one at the Univ of Iowa (can be done with IM, Peds, Path, or Surgery). While googling, I've found UCSD, Wash U, U Cinci, UT-SW, UMass, Northwestern, etc, but I'll love to find a comprehensive list.

Members don't see this ad.

dante201 said:
Hi. Just joined the list. Please forgive me if this thread has been discussed and I just missed it, or if it belonged over in combined degree land. But...

Do you know of any lists of physician scientist training programs (PSTP) / clinician scientist training programs (CSTP)? I heard a talk about them last year, but I still haven't found a centralized place to compare them. I don't think Frieda lists programs this way.

In case you're not familar, this programs often tie together your residency, clinical fellowship, and postdoc and are geared for people who graduate from research-oriented programs like MSTP's.

We just started one at the Univ of Iowa (can be done with IM, Peds, Path, or Surgery). While googling, I've found UCSD, Wash U, U Cinci, UT-SW, UMass, Northwestern, etc, but I'll love to find a comprehensive list.

I don't know where you can get a comprehensive list but I can tell you about ones that I applied to or heard about from friends. First note that there are two types: 1) Programs that you apply to during your fourth year of med school and match into and 2) Programs that you can inquire about during the residency interview process but don't formally apply and get accepted to until your intern year in the residency program. Here is a list of programs that I am currently aware of in both categories. I'm sure this list is not comprehensive:

Type 1: Match into as fourth year med student:
1) Vanderbilt
2) Northwestern
3) Cornell
4) U of Michigan
5) Wash U

Type 2: Formally apply and get accepted as an intern:
1) Stanford
2) U Penn
3) UT-Southwestern

Finally, most schools (even if they don't have a formal PSTP or CSTP program) will consider allowing you to short-track into fellowship (i.e. follow the ABIM Research Pathway). More info on the ABIM Research Pathway can be found in the ABIM website.

If anyone can add to these lists, please do so.