Psy.D Forensic Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teletubby1209

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice on possible Psy.D programs for clinical psychology. I know I want to pursue forensic clinical psyc in the future and I have heard that it is a difficult field to make a name for yourself; school's reputation, name, and quality of training are important in the forensic psych branch.

So my first question is, do you know any good programs of such? And secondly, do you think forensic psychiatrists have better luck at landing jobs in this field?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just get a good generalist training. Avoid schools with "tracks" or programs that advertise as such (unless you're interested in very specific research of psycholegal issues i.e., Alabama, Nebraska, USF).

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you look at schools' contracts with practicum sites. Depending on what area of forensics you want to go into, you should see if their students are placed at correction facilities, forensic hospitals, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Consistent with the excellent suggestions you've already received, keep in mind that forensic psychology is one of several specialty areas under the larger "applied psychology" category.

From a definitional perspective: Forensic psychology is the application of psychological knowledge and methods to help answer legal questions.

Reactions: 1 user