Psy/Soc question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Favzky

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between a sensory stimulus and a proximal stimulus? I have read some definitions online and they sound similar. Is there something I am missing?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand these two phrases are parts of two separate ways of categorizing stimuli if that makes sense...

Proximal stimulus is the actual neural activity happening in your brain (as opposed to distal stimulus, which is how this neural activity is perceived by us in real time).

A sensory stimulus is anything that elicits a sensory reaction like heat, smell etc. (as opposed to other types of stimuli like caffeine giving you more energy or something like that)

From what I understand these two phrases are parts of two separate ways of categorizing stimuli if that makes sense...

Proximal stimulus is the actual neural activity happening in your brain (as opposed to distal stimulus, which is how this neural activity is perceived by us in real time).

A sensory stimulus is anything that elicits a sensory reaction like heat, smell etc. (as opposed to other types of stimuli like caffeine giving you more energy or something like that)
Thank you Jhepp23!