PSYC200 Statistical Methods in Psycholgoy BCPM or AO, Thanks Guys!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What up doc

FLASH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked, but I cant get a straight answer. Would a statisical methods in psychology course that is all statistics be considered a psyc course or a math course? I would like to count it as a math course for my BCPM but I'm not sure. Ive read the classification list, but I still am not sure. What do you guys think.

Members don't see this ad.

I know this has probably been asked, but I cant get a straight answer. Would a statisical methods in psychology course that is all statistics be considered a psyc course or a math course? I would like to count it as a math course for my BCPM but I'm not sure. Ive read the classification list, but I still am not sure. What do you guys think.

I counted it as a math course.
If you need help determining, find out what your school lets you use that course to fulfill which requirments. For example, my school allowed Psych stats to fulfill part of the Math requirement. Therefore, psych stats was counted as a math. this seems to be the general rule for what courses are BCPM and which are AO.

Thanks! Do you mean your schools like fundamental math requirement? Any other opinions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I counted mine as AO. But, our methods sequence was called Research Methods 1 and 2, where 2 was all stat. I did AO since it's still listed as Psych. You might want to call AMCAS though, since the actual name of your class differed from mine.

Thanks! Do you mean your schools like fundamental math requirement? Any other opinions?

Yea. Fundamental requirements.
I'm pretty sure what happens is that AMCAS verifies each course you put down with your school. This is what i was told by my pre-med advisor. So if the course is cross-listed as a BCPM course, then it is fine.
For other things you might need an explanation. For example, i did my thesis through the Psych department but it was bio-psych based with emphasis on nurtition. So i put it down as BCPM with a short description and it was approved on my completed AMCAS as a BCPM.

Talk to your advisor.

Yea. Fundamental requirements.
I'm pretty sure what happens is that AMCAS verifies each course you put down with your school. This is what i was told by my pre-med advisor. So if the course is cross-listed as a BCPM course, then it is fine.
For other things you might need an explanation. For example, i did my thesis through the Psych department but it was bio-psych based with emphasis on nurtition. So i put it down as BCPM with a short description and it was approved on my completed AMCAS as a BCPM.

Talk to your advisor.

yeah i have a bunch of classes like this, did a cognitive neuroscience degree... but where did you write a a brief description of your class in the application?? i dont see a space for that. thank you!

yeah i have a bunch of classes like this, did a cognitive neuroscience degree... but where did you write a a brief description of your class in the application?? i dont see a space for that. thank you!

hmmm. maybe i didnt write a description. I may have written the description to my pre- med advisor so she would be aware if AMCAS asked questions about the courses.
damn, it's only been a year, but i dont remember the AMCAS anymore.