Psych and Pain Mgmt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi:

Does anyone know if psychiatrists ever continue on to pain management fellowships? I know anesth. and PM&R do - but I've also seen some internist doing in-hospital pain management stuff (not the procedures just meds). Just curious.

M-

Members don't see this ad.

i talked with a resident at chicago rehab, doing stuff w/ pain management. I know, psych does get involved with it. I'm not sure if it's a fellowship though.

yes, apparently pain management is a sub specialty. I saw this browing around:

http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/pub_psychiatry.htm

what it says:

Psychiatrists can be certified to practice in any of the following subspecialties:

Addiction Psychiatry
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Clinical Neurophysiology
Forensic Psychiatry
Geriatric Psychiatry
Pain Management

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Sonya:

Thanks so much. This is really interesting.

cheers,

M-

i thought psychiatrists could also pursue sleep medicine fellowships. is this correct?

So psych can take pain fellowships according to the web site. Is this realistic? most pain fellowship are either filled by PM&R and Anesth. Has any psychs actually done a pain fellowship. Why would the director want a psych who doesn't know anything about pain in general, has no experience in procedures , etc... to do an fellowship. would the fellowship be more just like pain meds management. the reason for my post is that I'm very interested in psych and also pain medicine as well. anyone's input would be appreciated.