Psych and Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shantster

Eye protection!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if on the AMCAS you are supposed to calculate Psychology as part of the Science GPA or if that is solely for Bio/Chem/Physics scores. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nope, psych is part of behavioral science (or something like that, im not quite sure, but i know its NOT part of BCPM)

shantster said:
I was wondering if on the AMCAS you are supposed to calculate Psychology as part of the Science GPA or if that is solely for Bio/Chem/Physics scores. Thanks.

I'm a psych major and only my biological psychology courses counted in my BCPM (science) GPA and all of my other psych courses went in my regular/non-science GPA. I put my bio psych courses under biology since they were basically neuroscience classes. Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
shantster said:

The "Science" GPA is for Math & Natural Science.

Psychology is a Social Science, and can be grouped with Sociology, Anthropology, and Political Science.

CalGoldenBear said:
I'm a psych major and only my biological psychology courses counted in my BCPM (science) GPA and all of my other psych courses went in my regular/non-science GPA. I put my bio psych courses under biology since they were basically neuroscience classes. Hope that helps.

That would actually really help since I'm doing quite well in my physiological psych course. Thanks for the insight.

I wish I'd known that! Maybe my BCPM woulda been higher with my psych/bio classes. At least it would have offset my lousy Calc 3 score. :oops:

Then would a psych stats course be counted since it is a math course?

shantster said:
Then would a psych stats course be counted since it is a math course?

yes. Psych stats is math. Biopsych is Bio, anything else you are pushing it. Worst thing that will happen is AMCAS will reclassify it as non-BCPM.