Psych Eval Turn Around Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tchibur00

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My question is for clinical psychologist in private practice.

Can you share with me your average turn around time is for writing the report and offering feedback? Also, on average how many evals do you complete each month?

I know there will be wide ranges of answers, but I appreciate any insight anyone is able to share. This information is only for my personal use, but I’m trying to see where I fall in the range.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to keep referral sources happy, aim for 1 week, 2 max for tunraround time. Myself and colleagues of mine have had no trouble poaching work from people who take a long time to get reports back to referral sources. I also schedule feedbacks within 2 weeks max as well. I probably see 2-3 clinical cases/week, but also do IME work, which varies quite a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
I tend to do assessments on Friday. I try to follow-up and schedule by Wednesday/Thursday of the following week. Sometimes that means they get in with scheduling within 1.5 weeks. Other times it pushes to 2.5 weeks. Either way, that's a scheduling issue rather than a turnaround issue. Some of my contract for assessments will request faster turn arounds for certain clients (next day or next couple of days)- which I will always do. I tend to agree that longer than 2 weeks leaves you open to poach in general and that its a good upper end.

I typically do about 2-3 evals a month. I'm also limited in how many I can do by my academic position (limited by hours per week), so I'm sort of on the max end of that unless I want to drop down on the therapy cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in line with the others - about a week, sometimes longer based on scheduling issues. I do private practice one day per week, and write 3-4 evals per month on average.

IMEs are 2-3wks....though that often is due to getting the medical records either in the middle or additional records coming in. 1-2 wks is my goal for regular evals. It's highyl advisable to keep it 1-2wks, but I'm hit and miss with it.

IMEs are 2-3wks....though that often is due to getting the medical records either in the middle or additional records coming in. 1-2 wks is my goal for regular evals. It's highyl advisable to keep it 1-2wks, but I'm hit and miss with it.

Yeah, IME reports are a different ballgame. I would still say a week is generally the timeline, as long as I have all of the records that I need.

Information from both the past and present:

• Clinical evaluations: Less than 48hrs for phone call to referral sources, or faxed summary reports (i.e.,1 page summary format borrowed from a colleague). 1-3 weeks for finalized reports.
  • IMEs: 1-4 weeks, depending on scheduling and records.
  • Other forensic work: 1-2 weeks, typically
  • Higher paying forensic work: 1 month or more, depending on the material.

Reactions: 1 users
I shoot for 1-2 weeks, but I'm not in neuropsych so my evals are less complex. Also, I'm a crazy fast writer.

Reactions: 1 user