Psych GRE... to take or not to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StatsNerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to clinical PhD programs for the fall 2014 cycle. I thought I was so prepared and ahead of the game a few months back but now I feel completely overwhelmed and in over my head. I have a full-time summer job on top of being the new lab coordinator for my lab (in my master's program) while also trying to work on my thesis and study for the GREs. I hear fellow students talk about where they are in this whole process (those also applying this cycle) and I want to cry, because I feel so far behind :( . Here's the thing... I have a preliminary list of schools and only 3 of them require the Psych GRE. This is out of a list of about 25 schools that I plan on cutting down to around 10-15 once I find out more about which POIs are taking new students and all of that. There's a chance that once I cut the list down none of the schools I apply to will actually require it. Many schools say it is "preferred" whatever that means. I was a psych major in undergrad and am in a psych experimental master's program now, so my knowledge of psychology shouldn't really be an issue. That said, if I do take it I'd still want to devote a lot of time to studying just to be sure I do well.

My question is... should I take the risk and NOT take it which would free up a LOT more study time to focus on the regular GRE (which I plan to take in late September) along with work on my thesis. I should say that right now the schools I'm looking at that require it are not way up high on my list of top schools. Still, I'm afraid of regretting NOT taking it... like what if I don't take it and don't get in anywhere, and the schools I couldn't apply to as a result are the ones that would have accepted me? I guess I'd never know though... :p

I know ultimately this is a decision I have to make on my own but I'm open to feedback on the situation. Any other clinical people not planning on taking the psych GRE? I was surprised to find that so many programs don't actually require it...

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to clinical PhD programs for the fall 2014 cycle. I thought I was so prepared and ahead of the game a few months back but now I feel completely overwhelmed and in over my head. I have a full-time summer job on top of being the new lab coordinator for my lab (in my master's program) while also trying to work on my thesis and study for the GREs. I hear fellow students talk about where they are in this whole process (those also applying this cycle) and I want to cry, because I feel so far behind :( . Here's the thing... I have a preliminary list of schools and only 3 of them require the Psych GRE. This is out of a list of about 25 schools that I plan on cutting down to around 10-15 once I find out more about which POIs are taking new students and all of that. There's a chance that once I cut the list down none of the schools I apply to will actually require it. Many schools say it is "preferred" whatever that means. I was a psych major in undergrad and am in a psych experimental master's program now, so my knowledge of psychology shouldn't really be an issue. That said, if I do take it I'd still want to devote a lot of time to studying just to be sure I do well.

My question is... should I take the risk and NOT take it which would free up a LOT more study time to focus on the regular GRE (which I plan to take in late September) along with work on my thesis. I should say that right now the schools I'm looking at that require it are not way up high on my list of top schools. Still, I'm afraid of regretting NOT taking it... like what if I don't take it and don't get in anywhere, and the schools I couldn't apply to as a result are the ones that would have accepted me? I guess I'd never know though... :p

I know ultimately this is a decision I have to make on my own but I'm open to feedback on the situation. Any other clinical people not planning on taking the psych GRE? I was surprised to find that so many programs don't actually require it...

Save time and money. Dont take it and don't apply to those schools.

When I applied (way back when), it was required. It's a long, convoluted exam that will take you back to PSY 101 and History & Systems of Psych. It's not impossible to do well if you are prepared.

It seems like you have a lot going on and it is the type of exam you must prepare for (you can't 'wing' it) b/c of the highly specific material. It was multiple choice and (if you're like me) you'll find two really good answers after eliminating the ones that are obviously not correct. Why but yourself through that if it's not required?

I say skip those schools. Sounds like you have plenty to choose from.

Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Save time and money. Dont take it and don't apply to those schools.

There's a caveat here, if these schools are definitely in your top 5 in terms of fit and where you want to go. It's worth the effort if it shapes the rest of your career. You don't have to study much for the test anyway. As for the regular GRE, after you study up on the quant stuff, there's not much you can do in the Verbal section besides learn word roots. (Although, it has been nearly a decade since I took it, I have no idea how much it has changed)

There's a caveat here, if these schools are definitely in your top 5 in terms of fit and where you want to go. It's worth the effort if it shapes the rest of your career. You don't have to study much for the test anyway. As for the regular GRE, after you study up on the quant stuff, there's not much you can do in the Verbal section besides learn word roots. (Although, it has been nearly a decade since I took it, I have no idea how much it has changed)

Agreed. If the program or programs are some of your top choices, then study for a couple weeks and take the subject test. If not, forego and just focus on the other applications (this is what I did). And also agreed re: the verbal section on the GRE. I just memorized lots and lots of word definitions (something like 20 per day for a month or two), which ended up netting me a fairly strong score.

I agree with the caveat also. If it means funding, then you'll have to make time for it like AcronymAllergy said and those tips are golden. Funding is important (read comments on thread re: clinical psychologist w/ $200K debt).

I agree with the caveat also. If it means funding, then you'll have to make time for it like AcronymAllergy said and those tips are golden. Funding is important (read comments on thread re: clinical psychologist w/ $200K debt).

People really like that thread don't they? :D

Hi Stats. I remember feeling that way last summer (I will be entering a program this fall). Keep in mind that it doesn't matter where other people are in the application process. I compared my own app timeline to that of others, and it just added to the pressure/my own thoughts of self doubt.

You may find that, with your undergrad/masters education, you probably know a lot of the psych GRE material already: you may not need to devote a ton of time to studying. I used flashcards that were made based off of the Kaplan prep book and did fine. Although it is important to present the best application possible, the psych GRE is generally not as important as your general GRE, research match, SOP, etc. I say, why not give it a try!?

Good luck with everything!

I just memorized lots and lots of word definitions (something like 20 per day for a month or two), which ended up netting me a fairly strong score.

This.

I used flashcards that were made based off of the Kaplan prep book and did fine.

This.

I did both and did fine.

Although it is important to present the best application possible, the psych GRE is generally not as important as your general GRE, research match, SOP, etc.

Agreed. Psych GRE is not the most important, but it used to be a requirement (I know for funded programs) way back when.

I took it, but had a POI at a school that required it say that he didn't even look at the score.

I didn't take it, I applied only to funded programs, and I had no problem. Within uni-based Ph.D. programs, I don't think there's necessarily any relationship between programs that are funded and programs that require the subject test.

The only thing to consider is whether any of the schools that you really care about require the test. If not, don't take it. Of course, it's always possible that you'll come across a program later in the process and discover that you can't apply there because you didn't take the subject test - that's just a risk that you'll have to be willing to take. For me, I wasn't going to do well on the test (not a psych major) and didn't have time to put in the necessary study prep. An average or low score was only going to hurt me, so I chose not to take it.

I got into a funded PhD program without taking it also

My program "strongly recommended" that applicants take it. I didn't take it and I never heard a word about it. (Fully funded APA-accredited clinical program.)

My program "strongly recommended" that applicants take it. I didn't take it and I never heard a word about it. (Fully funded APA-accredited clinical program.)

On several program websites I've seen this "recommended, but not required" clause for the subject test. I'm not sure what they are trying to convey here. It seems like they ought to either require it, or ignore it completely.

I'm currently trying to decide if it is worth the time and cost to me to take it. Leaning towards "no" at the moment.