Psych GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to take the psych GRE in Nov and I'm wondering what the best way to study is. Looking around online it seems like the best thing to do is get the Kaplan prep book and study that and an intro psych text. What do you all think?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's all I did and I pulled a 740, which is good enough for most places.

I also didn't study THAT intensively, so I think if you really went to town on those books, you could even do substantially better than I did. Its a lot of information to know, but its not a "difficult" exam. There's no real trick to it, just have to memorize a lot of the basics.

Get a prep book with practice exams. Study for a few days, then do an entire practice exam. Go back and code everything for the subject area, and take a look at what you got right and what you got wrong. Study your weaker areas intensively, over 1 or two months if you can. Write another practice exam, and repeat.

The Kaplan one is good and the typos are really entertaining. You'd think they'd get an editor for that...

Also, DO THE PRACTICE TEST THEY SEND YOU! They practically lift questions for that test. It's nuts. Make sure you know the info for all the ones you get wrong. I think if you knew the Kaplan book backwards and forwards, it would be more helpful than only sort of knowing it and reading an intro book. I got a 680, which isn't incredible, but it IS in the 78th percentile, and all l I did was go through the Kaplan book once all the way, then a bit more in the sections I didn't know as well, then take the practice test they send you. I think if you knew that book really well and studied the practice test provided by ETS, you'd be golden. Also I got 85th percentile or something like that on the social subscore, which was the stuff I actually LEARNED in college. I think learning in college helps. ;-) Oh and also I really didn't care much about this test, which would probably help most people (caring), but would probably just have given me an anxiety attack like for the regular GRE.

So that was long.