Psych GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crim84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to prepare for the psychology subject test? Sorry if this has already been asked before. Also, what is a good timeframe to study for it?

Members don't see this ad.

This question has been asked, and it seems that the usual chorus is "oh, I didn't really study too much and knocked it out of the park." These responses annoy me, personally.

Anyway, I am taking the test in April and, while I can't tell you the "best" way to study, I can tell you that I have been reading, reading, reading. I read a history of psychology textbook from an undergrad course, and now am doing a fairly close reading of my old intro to psych book, working through the Kaplan and Princeton Review psych GRE books parallel to the intro textbook, while also reading Morton's The Story of Psychology (which is just a fun read in and of itself). I've also worked up some flashcards for the things with which I know I will struggle (e.g. parts of the brain). I plan on fitting in my textbook on personality theories, as well. Boy, am I happy that I didn't sell those books back when I was done with the classes...

I don't know how much all of this will help me, but I feel like I'm learning and it's starting to gel in my brain, so let's hope it works...

I did pretty well on it, and studied from Princeton and Barron's review books.
However, I am an avid psychology reader which helped a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I studied from both the Kaplan (for detailed background info) and Princeton Review (shorter summaries/review) for about 6-8 hrs/week for 3-4 weeks before the exam. I also took the practice exam they send you in the mail- which I highly recommend. I got a decent 760.

I read Kaplan's book twice, and took study notes on it and scored in the 97th percentile. I was also nearing the end of my bachelor's, and had already taken a lot of psych courses so that helped too.

The psych GRE is basically just testing information from intro to psych. I would recommend getting the Kaplan prep book, and rgoing through any intro to psych text books you can get your hands on.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! Thanks for all the input. I've been out of school for 4 years so I definitely need to study.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! Thanks for all the input. I've been out of school for 4 years so I definitely need to study.

Lots of reading, yes, but a lot of it--or at least some of it--will come back while you do that. I was out of school for over a year before I took it and while I was still somewhat fuzzy, I did pretty well. Not spectacularly, but a 720. DIdn't think that was too bad after a year of conveniently forgetting most everything I learned....j/k

I also used Kaplan's book and I think its a great study guide.

I was a neuroscience major in college who took some psych courses. I studied exclusively from the Kaplan study guide-- basically just read it cover to cover and committed it to memory. This wasn't too hard as the concepts were interesting (this isn't to say I have an unnaturally good memory-- I took notes, highlighted, studied my notes). I got an 830.

My conclusion: you don't need to have taken psych courses or be a psych major (I had never taken intro to psych, for example). You don't even need more than one study guide or a textbook.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the advice, sounds like Kaplan's guide is a must-have. And yeah, it should be interesting to go back through all those psych concepts again. Kinda looking forward to it... I did not like studying for the GRE general exam. Seems like this one will less stressful.

Kinda looking forward to it... I did not like studying for the GRE general exam. Seems like this one will less stressful.

I found it to be way less stressful. Most importantly, because it is not a computer adapative test (I like having my paper and pencil!) and secondly, because it is about psychology, which is way more fun to study for.

The one thing I would say is be prepared (by taking practice tests, etc) to feel like you are not sure/guessing on about HALF of the questions on the exam. Don't worry. The test is such that you can get about a quarter of the questions wrong or leave half blank and still score above 720+ I imagine if you didn't realize this going into the exam, it could be a stressful few hours.

I bought the books but what saved my ass and got me in the 91st percentile was this EPPP study program available on the ipad. I cant assume every EPPP study aid will help, but I can say that without that app, there would have been a lot of material that my study aids would not have covered.

I know this is 2 years late but just wanted to say that I used the app PsyGRE Plus and scored in the 94th percentile. Thanks for all the advice guys.