Psych-IM Dual Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Liltwinstarz1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm applying for residencies in Psych and Psych-IM dual degrees this coming September. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything recently about these dual degree programs: are they feasible, is it harder to get jobs/fellowships after completing a dual residency vs. a single one, etc etc?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm applying for residencies in Psych and Psych-IM dual degrees this coming September. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything recently about these dual degree programs: are they feasible, is it harder to get jobs/fellowships after completing a dual residency vs. a single one, etc etc?

Thank you!

They mainly good for doing academia. Harder....probably....yes. kinda depends. No you usually have to pick to practice in one. That is why I dont see the need. I would consider more a Psy residency with a fellowship in C/L. I think it is overkill. Esp if you plan on doing a fellowship anyway.

In my experience most dual boarded psych-IM people practice one or the other (not really both at the same time). Generally they choose to practice psych, but not always. As for finding a job I don't think that would be difficult, but it would probably be either an IM or psych job (less likely to be both combined).

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you checked out liason psychiatry/psychosomatic medicine?

It's a subspecialty in psychiatry.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...mbined internal medicine psychiatry residency

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubme...mbined internal medicine psychiatry residency

As with any combined residency you have to have a plan. I believe insurance will not allow you to bill as both the internist and the psychiatrist for the same patient. I know of one Med-Psych attending in academia who does Gen Med clinic, Psych clinic, gen med wards and moonlights for a private hospital as a hospitalist. The man is brilliant. There is also a FM/Psych attending who was doing both and now only does Psych though we get way less consults for medical management when he is on.

Big question is do you believe this will enhance your career? If yes, then go after it.

Hmm...thanks for all the info, guys. I actually have a master's in Forensic Psychology and my goal was to go to med school, attend a Psych residency, and do a fellowship in Forensic Psychiatry. Then I did my IM rotation and really liked it, and while I didn't want to apply to just IM, I heard about this dual-degree program and it sparked my interest. One of my old Attendings was a Psych-IM dual degree and he actually advised against it: his exact words were: "You'll be doing two jobs and getting paid for one." I mean, as of now, it looks like there are only 11 programs in the States, so chances are I won't get in, but I just wanted to see what everything had to say. Regardless, since Psych-IM is a 5 year program, I don't plan on doing ANOTHER fellowship after that (no thanks). :)