Psych majors: Did Behavioral Neuroscience count as science GPA on your AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
R

RTC19

I am finishing up a class offered by the Psych department called Behavioral Neuroscience. It is similar to the Biopsychology classes some other schools offer. It's about the neuroscience behind things like learning and mental illnesses.

I am not sure if this goes under Behavioral Science (non-science GPA) or Other Science (science GPA) on AACOMAS. What is throwing me is that on the course list for calculating one's AACOMAS GPA, "Biobehavioral health" is located under "Other science" making me wonder if Behavioral Neuroscience would be considered Biobehavioral health.

Did any other Psychology majors have the same thing with Biopsychology or Behavioral Neuroscience classes offered through your Psychology department? What did it go in as for you?

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up a class offered by the Psych department called Behavioral Neuroscience. It is similar to the Biopsychology classes some other schools offer. It's about the neuroscience behind things like learning and mental illnesses.

I am not sure if this goes under Behavioral Science (non-science GPA) or Other Science (science GPA) on AACOMAS. What is throwing me is that on the course list for calculating one's AACOMAS GPA, "Biobehavioral health" is located under "Other science" making me wonder if Behavioral Neuroscience would be considered Biobehavioral health.

Did any other Psychology majors have the same thing with Biopsychology or Behavioral Neuroscience classes offered through your Psychology department? What did it go in as for you?

I do not see a designation on my AACOMAS report for "science courses" but based on my own calculations (which came within .01 of the sGPA shown on my report), they counted Behavioral Neuro even though it is designated as a PSYCH class. My understanding is that if the class is substantially biology-oriented, it will count toward your science GPA. I know in my class the curriculum was 85-90% bio so it apparently wasn't a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
My Cognitive Neuroscience class counted as a neuroscience sGPA course on AACOMAS thankfully.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it doesn't count after being verified, you can send them the course description and (politely) argue your case.

Reactions: 2 users
What you can do is mark it into whatever you feel best qualifies it and then they will assess if it actually fits the category. I would go with whatever they decide as you probably don't want to delay verifying your app with appeals.

What you can do is mark it into whatever you feel best qualifies it and then they will assess if it actually fits the category. I would go with whatever they decide as you probably don't want to delay verifying your app with appeals.

For some, a grade in a borderline “science” course can be critical, perhaps even the difference between that critical baseline 3.0 Science GPA. Neurobio in particular is ripe for a relatively easy appeal as the class is generally heavily-bio oriented. I get not wanting to delay, but would not disadvantage my application by not appealing something this basic.

Reactions: 1 users
For some, a grade in a borderline “science” course can be critical, perhaps even the difference between that critical baseline 3.0 Science GPA. Neurobio in particular is ripe for a relatively easy appeal as the class is generally heavily-bio oriented. I get not wanting to delay, but would not disadvantage my application by not appealing something this basic.
I mean it's up to you. If it makes a big difference on your GPA then go for it. I'm betting it probably wouldn't though if you have over 90 credits.

I would prefer to get verified sooner since DO schools are giving IIs out.

PS Neurobio is without a doubt Biology classification but something like OP in the psych dept would probably be more borderline. They have database that they cross-check from what I heard from gonnif so I would just be conservative to get verification done and out of the way.