Psych Pa or Nurse Practitioner

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ged2Doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have gone back and forth with just about every career in psych. Nurse practitioner, psych pa, psychiatrist, and psychologist. My main goal is to do psychotherapy, there is just a little bit of love for research there also. Does anyone know the difference from a career standpoint on nurse practitioner and psych pa. I am only talking about within the psychiatry specialty. Most jobs I see ask for both, so wondering if there is a difference. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Both are good.

Here are some more info about psych NP programs

Psych NP curriculum examples

http://son.umc.edu/academics/masters/psychiatric.html

Fall 1
Advanced Physiology/Pathophysiology l
Discipline of Nursing
Advanced Health Assessment
Clinical Pharmacotherapeutics I

Spring 1
Clinical Laboratory Science for Nurse Practitioner
Advanced Physiology/Pathophysiology II
Clinical Pharmacotherapeutics II
Research Design and Methods for Advanced Nursing Practice

Summer 1
Practicum in Clinical Assessment of Persons with Mental Health Problems, I - Family (180 clinical hours) (MECSAPN PMHNP 1B2)
Practicum in Clinical Assessment of Persons with Mental Health Problems, I - Adult (180 clinical hours) (MECSAPN PMHNP 1B1)
Clinical Assessment of Persons with Mental Health Problems, I - Adult & Family (MECSAPN PMHNP 1A)

Fall 2
Role Development and Role Enactment for Advanced Role Practice in Nursing
Clinical Management of Individuals with Mental Health Problems, II - Adult & Family (MECSAPN PMHNP 2A)

Practicum in Clinical Management of Individuals with Mental Health Problems, II - Family (180 clinical hours) (MECSAPN PMHNP 2B2)
Practicum in Clinical Management of Individuals with Mental Health Problems, II - Adult(180 clinical hours) (MECSAPN PMHNP 2B1)

Spring 2
Health Policy, Ethics and Legal Issues
Clinical Management of Families and Groups with Mental Health Problems, III - Adult & Family (MECSAPN PMHNP 3A)

Practicum in Clinical Management of Families and Groups with Mental Health Problems, III - Adult & Family (270 clinical hours)

http://nurseweb.ucsf.edu/www/cur-psy.htm

Fall 1
Assessment/Management of Common Psychiatric Symptoms
Advanced Health Assessment
Introduction to Advanced Health Assessment Practicum
Mental Health Nursing Seminar
Theories of Mental Illness
Trend in Group Psych Modalities
Working with High-Risk Families

Winter 1
Theories of Human Response to Trauma
Group Treatment Seminar Research Methods
Health Protection and Promotion
-ANP Seminar: Adult Primary Care (seminar and 4 hrs /wk)
Health Protection and Promotion Practicum
Clinical Pharmacology

Spring 1
-Symptom Assessment and Management
-ANP Seminar: Adult Primary Care
-Adult Nurse Practitioner Residency
Assessment & Intervention w/ Victims of Abuse & Violence
Seminar on Psychotropic Regimens
Psychotherapeutic Techniques w/ Adults
Psychotherapeutic Techniques w/ Children & Adolescents

Summer 1
Intensive Clinical Residency in Acute Psychiatric Care
Clinical Seminar

Fall 2
Clinical Residency (seminar and 12+ clinical hrs/wk)
-Mental Health Seminar
-Primary Care Seminar
Complex Health Problems & Management
Management of Psychiatric Conditions
Dimensions in Advanced Practice
Assessment/Intervention for Terrorism or Natural Disaster
Case Management & Child Mental Health

Winter 2
-Primary Care Residency (Seminar and clinical hours)
-Mental Health Seminar
Seminar in Adult Primary Care
Family Treatment Modalities

Spring 2
Decision-Making in Adult Primary Care
-Mental Health Seminar
-Primary Care Seminar
Health Care Economics and Policy

If your goal is to primarily do psychotherapy, your best bet would be to become a psychologist. If your goal is to practice medicine, go to medical school. If that is not an option for whatever reason, pursue PA.

It has been my experience there is too much variability in the quality of NPs and as a whole PAs have a more consistent training process. As a future psychiatrist I will not consider an NP as an employee.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to primarily do psychotherapy, your best bet would be to become a psychologist. If your goal is to practice medicine, go to medical school. If that is not an option for whatever reason, pursue PA.

It has been my experience there is too much variability in the quality of NPs and as a whole PAs have a more consistent training process. As a future psychiatrist I will not consider an NP as an employee.

How much experience do you have dealing with NPs as a medical student?

Because I see no real difference between PA and NP when they're working in the same department.

I will be starting nursing school next month. Thanks to all who answered!

But be aware that if you go into a group practice there might be a few NPs there waiting for you. Other psychiatrists on SDN have posted about their NP :love:.