Psych PhD program sued after student dies by suicide, allegedly spurred by bullying and harrassment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Tl;dr: In 2017, a first-year student in USU's combined (then clinical/counseling/school; now clinical/counseling) PhD program died by suicide following alleged race-based harassment and bullying by another student. The lawsuit states the the program and various university offices were made aware, repeatedly, of the situation and did little or nothing to stop of it, with texts and emails among the faculty suggesting that they were considering kicking both students out.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Incredibly disturbing if true. Doubly disturbing given its a psych department.

I am admittedly a bit suspicious as most info appears to come from the students representatives, though that isn't unusual in these scenarios. If it is as-presented, I find it absolutely mind-blowing that any department would consider kicking out <both> students in a scenario like that versus just the offender. I literally just cannot imagine that being done by any major institution in this day and age...let alone a university (which...for all their pros and cons...is <generally> at least slightly more attune to these issues than the corporate world)...let alone a psychology department within a university. Of course, that is also why I'm somewhat suspicious we are only getting one side of the story, but if true its horrifying.

Incredibly disturbing if true. Doubly disturbing given its a psych department.

I am admittedly a bit suspicious as most info appears to come from the students representatives, though that isn't unusual in these scenarios. If it is as-presented, I find it absolutely mind-blowing that any department would consider kicking out <both> students in a scenario like that versus just the offender. I literally just cannot imagine that being done by any major institution in this day and age...let alone a university (which...for all their pros and cons...is <generally> at least slightly more attune to these issues than the corporate world)...let alone a psychology department within a university. Of course, that is also why I'm somewhat suspicious we are only getting one side of the story, but if true its horrifying.
This indicates that the conversations were written (not that they couldn't have been misrepresented, of course, but having them in writing suggests a greater degree of "the faculty actually said this" to me):
"Sanjeevi kept talking to faculty. By the end of the semester, they suggested possibly moving her to another research lab or possibly dismissing both her and the other student from the program. In their conversations, which Kaplan received through public records requests, the professors suggested both women were to blame. One said it was “getting messy and ugly.” No one ever investigated, the suit alleges, and the student who was Sanjeevi’s co-worker denied wrongdoing."

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing this article! This is terrible and tragic, and I hope more continues to comes to light about the situation. As a person of color who lives in a red state (after having lived in a blue one), I unfortunately can see something like this happening in some places, even in a psychology department within an university. From my own personal experience, the level of cultural competence in our field is much more varied than most of us want to believe. I experienced racial microaggressions pretty regularly as a graduate student, and I know the few peers I had who were also POC experienced them as well. I was lucky that I never outright got bullied, but I can imagine it being within the realm of possibility in some settings.

Reactions: 5 users
Another interesting article about this

Thanks for sharing. I found this quote interesting:
“Some of the people the complaint alleges were compromised ethically because they have what psychologists call ‘dual relationships,’” Kaplan said. “They were in long-term, very close relationships where they were friends and got together almost every weekend for horseback riding and weren’t in a position to help her because they were essentially already in the role of advocate for the people she said were bullying her.”

A professor of mine in grad school threw (wild) parties and invited only the faculty and students (~50%?) of the department who she liked to them. It was very much an in or out thing, and I always wondered about the acceptability of doing that. On one hand, you don't have to invite everyone to your private party; otoh, if you are getting drunk with half the students and basically ignoring the others, does that create issues?

Thanks for sharing. I found this quote interesting:
“Some of the people the complaint alleges were compromised ethically because they have what psychologists call ‘dual relationships,’” Kaplan said. “They were in long-term, very close relationships where they were friends and got together almost every weekend for horseback riding and weren’t in a position to help her because they were essentially already in the role of advocate for the people she said were bullying her.”

A professor of mine in grad school threw (wild) parties and invited only the faculty and students (~50%?) of the department who she liked to them. It was very much an in or out thing, and I always wondered about the acceptability of doing that. On one hand, you don't have to invite everyone to your private party; otoh, if you are getting drunk with half the students and basically ignoring the others, does that create issues?
Did the other faculty realize that she only invited half the students or did they think everyone was invited, but only some attended for whatever personal reasons?

Did the other faculty realize that she only invited half the students or did they think everyone was invited, but only some attended for whatever personal reasons?
Only about half the faculty were invited too, and you could see who was included or not on the invite emails.

I feel like the first mistake here is throwing "wild" parties and having students there. We had program-wide parties, but it was the welcome party for new students and graduation parties. And they weren't that wild. The wilder parties tended to just be the grad students hanging out. Boundaries, folks.

I feel like the first mistake here is throwing "wild" parties and having students there. We had program-wide parties, but it was the welcome party for new students and graduation parties. And they weren't that wild. The wilder parties tended to just be the grad students hanging out. Boundaries, folks.

It’s off topic, but I feel like boundaries in our profession are more difficult than other fields. Though I’ve had good relationships with all my mentors and supervisors thus far, I’m of the opinion that they are just that and not “my friends.” This is why I didn’t invite mentors or supervisors to my wedding, birthday parties, or “wild” functions.

It’s hard, but unlike other realms where it may be okay to mix personal and professional relationships, I feel like I cannot be evaluated (or evaluate) others properly if there are dual relationships.

If it’s true that in this story some professors were actively blinded to a student’s openly racist actions because of a dual relationship, this should serve as a warning and example as why boundaries are SUPER important when power dynamics are unequal.

It’s off topic, but I feel like boundaries in our profession are more difficult than other fields. Though I’ve had good relationships with all my mentors and supervisors thus far, I’m of the opinion that they are just that and not “my friends.” This is why I didn’t invite mentors or supervisors to my wedding, birthday parties, or “wild” functions.

There are some areas that it is definitely different (e.g., therapy supervision perhaps) but I think when it comes to supervisory status, we're not all that different from any field that maintains a mentor model while training. And, boundaries should be fluid at some point as people move through training and into careers. Plenty of examples of people continuing to collaborate on similar research areas following conclusion of training. Some of those relationships will inevitably turn into friendships.

Plenty of examples of people continuing to collaborate on similar research areas following conclusion of training. Some of those relationships will inevitably turn into friendships.

Oh, I definitely agree... the main point I had was that when the power balance is unequal, that's when boundaries are most important. When you transition to collaborators, that's when I feel like the "wild" hangouts would be most appropriate. I don't think that can be appropriate with faculty when you are a student.

This is very, very unfortunate if true and they should conduct a full investigation. When this kind of thing occurs, it's important to take a firm stance against it and set a precedent.

I, myself, am a minority. I remember when I applied to programs throughout the country, the demographic make-up of the location definitely played a role in my decision-making. Thankfully, I've had no problems in the program I'm in as it fosters cultural diversity and sensitivity in its training (admittedly, I was a tad disappointed when I realized I wasn't going to be the token minority in my program).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very, very unfortunate if true and they should conduct a full investigation. When this kind of thing occurs, it's important to take a firm stance against it and set a precedent.

I, myself, am a minority. I remember when I applied to programs throughout the country, the demographic make-up of the location definitely played a role in my decision-making. Thankfully, I've had no problems in the program I'm in as it fosters cultural diversity and sensitivity in its training (admittedly, I was a tad disappointed when I realized I wasn't going to be the token minority in my program).
An interesting part of this case is that the alleged faculty, alleged bully, and victim were all POC. (The faculty and the alleged bully being Native American, and the victim being an international Malaysian student).

It’s off topic, but I feel like boundaries in our profession are more difficult than other fields.

Reading CHE and from experiences of people I know, I think we're pretty tame compared to the apparently sex-crazy Humanities and horrifyingly racist and sexist STEM faculty kicking around.

I mean, you can invite whoever you want to your party so long as you aren't doing some weird The Office-esque public shunning. :) It is asking for trouble if it's a booze-soaked party with faculty and grad students when/if something goes awry at the party and someone in power is bitter about being excluded on top of any legit problems with the behavior, though.

My dept had crazy, wild parties but they invited everyone.

I'm just going to leave this here: Dartmouth settles sexual harassment lawsuit for $14 million

Nothing at all wrong with having a lab holiday party at the faculty member's home. Nothing wrong with having a few beers after work when a new grant comes through. . Just don't be a dingus or a drunk? And don't rape anyone?

I don't know that boundaries are any more complicated for us than other fields. I just feel like we are a finicky bunch who overcomplicate it. There is zero wrong with colleagues getting together for social events and I wouldn't want to be part of any organization where this didn't happen. Not everyone has to be invited to everything, but don't be that jerk who invites the entire class except the one kid. In other words - possess basic social skills, at least at the level one expects of a toddler. End of discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
There is zero wrong with colleagues getting together for social events and I wouldn't want to be part of any organization where this didn't happen.

Some uni administrations do get really weird about this though, and have tried to call any gathering of employees a university-related event. As in, go to the pub after work with three colleagues? That's a university meeting and you aren't allowed to have alcohol. Administrators are weird.

Some uni administrations do get really weird about this though, and have tried to call any gathering of employees a university-related event. As in, go to the pub after work with three colleagues? That's a university meeting and you aren't allowed to have alcohol. Administrators are weird.

Have never heard of that and good luck with enforcing it. What about on a Saturday? What if some non-work people go too? Does it make a difference if we leave from the office vs going home first? What if I am out for a drink and I run into colleagues? Must we both immediately drop our drinks and flee the premises? Can one person stay? Do we arm wrestle for it?

We frequently have alcohol at actual legit department-sponsored events that occur on university property, so this is clearly not something I can fathom. Most people have 1 or 2 drinks depending on how long they are staying. Some don't have anything. No one cares either way. We eat, catch up on what folks are working on and how their families are doing, we go home. Its fun...but pretty "boring" fun. Sometimes there is an after party. Which is a continuation of the "boring" fun at another location. Maybe I was just the one who didn't get invited to the wild parties?

On a more serious note, there are some awful people out there but I'm not sure weird rules are going to help anything.

I read the two articles about this incident and it sounds horrible, if true. The conduct of the counseling center psychologist especially should be questioned.

I read the two articles about this incident and it sounds horrible, if true. The conduct of the counseling center psychologist especially should be questioned.

So far, all we've seen are plaintiff and plaintiff attorney stuff. If you've ever been involved in legal stuff, you know how problematic that is. There's probably something here, but without seeing all the evidence, it's hard to form an opinion when you are only getting one side of the story, especially when there is a lot of money involved.

As a fellow minority, this pains me to read. I got so angry I actually Google’d the case some more and even went on the university website. Ended up coming very close to sending an anonymous rant email to the victim’s lab professor. Thankfully, I decided to check this post one last time and @WisNeuro reminded me that we don’t have all the evidence clearly laid out. But still

"[Two professors named in the lawsuit] are Native American themselves and active in the Society of Indian Psychologists....[Professor 1] gave the main alleged bully the entirety of the funding available to help her lab members pay for tuition, the lawsuit states, despite Sanjeevi living on her teacher’s assistant stipend of $5,000 per semester and “small amounts of money that her parents were sometimes able to send her.”

The lawsuit alleges favoritism because at the time, [Professor 1] was director of the American Indian Support Project for the psychology department.

“As the Director of AISP [Professor 1] had responsibility for finding sufficient funding to pay tuition and living expenses for (the other student), her Native American recruit,” the lawsuit states."

Taken from the HJ News link. If that is true, I wonder how the professor justified giving all available funding to the alleged bully (Native American) and none to the student (International student from Malaysia) who died? I'm not sure whether the lawsuit is saying that the professor was actually required to fund the alleged bully, or whether the lawsuit is alleging that the professor chose to do so because of favortism based on both of them being Native American. A bit confusing.

That's a tough one in this country, heck, self-implicated serial sexual assaulters can even be elected president ;)
It seems too slimy to be president. I'd rather be honest, upstanding, and a lover of beer....like really love....I still like beer...as a Supreme Court judge.

Reactions: 2 users
"[Two professors named in the lawsuit] are Native American themselves and active in the Society of Indian Psychologists....[Professor 1] gave the main alleged bully the entirety of the funding available to help her lab members pay for tuition, the lawsuit states, despite Sanjeevi living on her teacher’s assistant stipend of $5,000 per semester and “small amounts of money that her parents were sometimes able to send her.”

The lawsuit alleges favoritism because at the time, [Professor 1] was director of the American Indian Support Project for the psychology department.

“As the Director of AISP [Professor 1] had responsibility for finding sufficient funding to pay tuition and living expenses for (the other student), her Native American recruit,” the lawsuit states."

Taken from the HJ News link. If that is true, I wonder how the professor justified giving all available funding to the alleged bully (Native American) and none to the student (International student from Malaysia) who died? I'm not sure whether the lawsuit is saying that the professor was actually required to fund the alleged bully, or whether the lawsuit is alleging that the professor chose to do so because of favortism based on both of them being Native American. A bit confusing.
I think that the plaintiffs are arguing the latter, but also that there was an implicit racial bias by the professor in addition to the explicit one from the alleged bully. One of the articles mentioned that the professor spent extensive time outside of school with the alleged bully (e.g., horseback riding) and that the professor has only ever had Native American students (with the deceased being her first and only non-NA student) and recruited all these students from some conference for Native American researchers.

That I actually think may be the more defensible part of this case. There may be funding available to the university that is only accessible to Native students due to federal programs etc. For instance, my university had a very strong Native American/Indian psychology training program and they had their own, separate funding through the government. I don't know that for sure, though.

@Ollie123 alcohol has nothing to do with rape. It’s dangerous to conflate the two. You can intoxicate most of the population and they won’t rape anyone.

I believe the psychiatrist who opined about Mel Gibson’s anti-Semitic remarks during his DUI said it best, “You can't pour vodka on a turnip and have it say anti-Semitic remarks”.

@Ollie123 alcohol has nothing to do with rape. It’s dangerous to conflate the two. You can intoxicate most of the population and they won’t rape anyone.

I believe the psychiatrist who opined about Mel Gibson’s anti-Semitic remarks during his DUI said it best, “You can't pour vodka on a turnip and have it say anti-Semitic remarks”.

100% agreed. Not sure where I might have implied otherwise? My point was the opposite. The Dartmouth article was about faculty/student gatherings involving both alcohol and rape. I was saying that alcohol was not the concerning part.

btw - I interviewed there! I remember one of those professors being so cold/standoffish during the interview. It really put me off the whole program. It’s like the interview was going well until the one professor spoke up and the vibe changed. This was nearly a decade ago. Glad I found a better fit.Also, like most of the students were LDS - I wouldn’t be surprised if the “protect our own” aspect of that religion came into play. The place had a weird culture.

I am totally shocked that a program with a ton of LDS faculty/staff/students had some issues with racism and a culture of bullying. /s.

Last edited:
After expenses, and the attorneys contingency fee, the plaintiffs lost. 140k-30k in experts, -30k in expenses, -35% for attorneys fee….

They found something.

Last edited:
After expenses, and the attorneys contingency fee, the plaintiffs lost. 140k-30k in experts, -30k in expenses, -35% for attorneys fee….

They found something.

I think the deceased’s boyfriend brought the case and the settlement money is going to her parents, so I’m guessing he might be wealthy and able to cover the expenses of the case. I wish they had gotten attorney fees covered, though.

There was also one, non-public resignation from a university staff member that was probably related.

Last edited:
See my reply to PsyDr for comment (forgot to tag you too)

I don't have that insider info, but in the civil world, plaintiff lawyers will chase deep pockets pretty far on flimsy evidence. In a case against a University with a deep insurance pool, with a narrative that plays well in public and would for a jury, I'm skeptical that the plaintiff's had enough substance for a case at this point. Just doesn't make sense with anything I've seen for what should be a somewhat easy case to force a larger settlement. I obviously don't have the insider details, but the details that are available are very odd in the legal world.

I think the deceased’s boyfriend brought the case and the settlement money is going to her parents, so I’m guessing he might be wealthy and able to cover the expenses of the case. I wish they had gotten attorney fees covered, though.

There was also one, non-public resignation from a university staff member that was probably related.

The settlement numbers are still way too low for it to be a slam dunk case. Future damages = average income X years in practice. Bare minimum you’re looking at $1.6MM, before you get to other damages. And UT isn’t a contributory negligence state, so the staff change isn’t super meaningful.

The settlement numbers are still way too low for it to be a slam dunk case. Future damages = average income X years in practice. Bare minimum you’re looking at $1.6MM, before you get to other damages. And UT isn’t a contributory negligence state, so the staff change isn’t super meaningful.

Yeah, unless the lead plaintiff simply dropped the case, against lawyer advice, seems way off. I have several cases where the plaintiffs have absolutely nothing, with comical failures on my SVT/PVTs, as well as absurd, non-realistic performances on other non-neuropsych expert exams, but because defense is a deep pocketed entity, the legal team is willing to carry that football as long and as far as they can.

No, I’m just happy they resigned because of things I know they did in relation to this case.

I think by US standards that settlement is low, but since the boyfriends intends to send the money to the parents in Malaysia it is possible for that amount to be more there.

I think by US standards that settlement is low, but since the boyfriends intends to send the money to the parents in Malaysia it is possible for that amount to be more there.

I think we're more surprised that if there were anything there, the lawyer would have done everything in their power to carry the case forward and would have never settled for such a low amount.

That number is reeeeally low when you consider lifetime earning and legal/expert fees, as was mentioned above. You'd think they get at least $500k-$1m bc of future earning loss, risk of a large settlement, *and* bad press.

I read the initial filing - it’s possible they didn’t want to drag the deceased’s family through court and further scrub time her mental health as the plaintiffs were already saying she was borderline, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that there are other incentives to settle than money. The family gets vindication without having to see all the mud that can be brought up and hopefully some closure.

The other chunk is the settlement, and I’m not a lawyer, only settles with USU and the one professor. I wonder if they’ll go after the others.

I do have an interesting ethical question. Ethically, let’s say we saw some of ppl named in the case where you work apply for a job. Would it be ethical for a psychologist to use this information in hiring?

I read the initial filing - it’s possible they didn’t want to drag the deceased’s family through court and further scrub time her mental health as the plaintiffs were already saying she was borderline, etc.

I guess what I am saying is that there are other incentives to settle than money. The family gets vindication without having to see all the mud that can be brought up and hopefully some closure.

The other chunk is the settlement, and I’m not a lawyer, only settles with USU and the one professor. I wonder if they’ll go after the others.

I do have an interesting ethical question. Ethically, let’s say we saw some of ppl named in the case where you work apply for a job. Would it be ethical for a psychologist to use this information in hiring?

As a business owner, my responsibilities are to manage my business while managing liability and not wanting to deal with extra baggage, as any time spent dealing with that baggage costs me time and money. I am definitely using any information I have available in my hiring decisions.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, unless the lead plaintiff simply dropped the case, against lawyer advice, seems way off. I have several cases where the plaintiffs have absolutely nothing, with comical failures on my SVT/PVTs, as well as absurd, non-realistic performances on other non-neuropsych expert exams, but because defense is a deep pocketed entity, the legal team is willing to carry that football as long and as far as they can.

Well, with it being years later and the boyfriend being the plaintiff and the money being sent to the parents in another country, I wonder if there may not be an appetite to drag this out the way there would be if the parents were the plaintiffs.Then again, with COVID and all that has happened we don't know the state of the parents either. They may need the cash.

Well, with it being years later and the boyfriend being the plaintiff and the money being sent to the parents in another country, I wonder if there may not be an appetite to drag this out the way there would be if the parents were the plaintiffs.Then again, with COVID and all that has happened we don't know the state of the parents either. They may need the cash.

Years long is the rule for civil cases, not the exception. Many of my current cases are for incidents that happened in 2017, 2018 at the moment. The lawyer would have definitely apprised them of the probable timeline.

Years long is the rule for civil cases, not the exception. Many of my current cases are for incidents that happened in 2017, 2018 at the moment. The lawyer would have definitely apprised them of the probable timeline.

Agreed that it is the rule. However, has the boyfriend moved on since then? Being told that while grieving and single is different from living it years later with a new gf/wife/family. Might be the impetus for a quick settlement.

Agreed that it is the rule. However, has the boyfriend moved on since then? Being told that while grieving and single is different from living it years later with a new gf/wife/family. Might be the impetus for a quick settlement.

Could definitely happen, though the lawyer would do their best to talk him out of that settlement if there were a halfway decent case.

So I read the entire section about the alleged events from the plaintiff/boyfriend case and have a few thoughts:

1. Direct quotes from other students who observed the bullying and racism against other international students were placed throughout and kept popping up. This is very compelling evidence to me that something was very wrong with the program and its preferential treatment & dismissing concerns. A full email from a concerned student to faculty noted that the program was failing to address bullying/racism within the program (and the student expressed concern about Sanjeevi’s mental health). But it wasn’t just one student ally/friend, but seemingly several who saw and experienced bullying from the “bully student,” etc.

2. Faculty were completely inappropriate at several times in the narrative, as evidenced by quotes from students other than just Sanjeevi. Students noted that they felt like one of the faculty members was trying to spin a narrative immediately after Sanjeevi died, and Tehee (Sanjeevi’s advisor/lab head) didn’t give her lab’s RA funding at all or projects at all within two weeks of school starting in Sanjeevi’s first year (this fund was separate from the American Indian specific funding Sanjeevi’s colleague received already—that student received both types of funding that semester from the very start and Sanjeevi nothing at all—-why?). Faculty (Tehee) told the alleged bully details that shouldn’t have been told to a student about Sanjeevi and the two went horseback riding multiple times during the year—definitely inappropriate level of a dual relationship there at least. Other students were quoted as agreeing that that Tehee was aligned with the alleged bully.

3. Sanjeevi went to CAPS for support/therapy and a psychologist wrote a “report” (intake? Diagnostic report?) with details that were just odd for an intake that made a lot of assumptions about her and was more detailed than you’d expect from an intake. Wondering why that is (CAPS a practicum site for their dept, I might add). I’d like to see the full report, personally.

4. USU dragged their feet for months when producing documents, selectively shared them, and refused to provide some.

5. One faculty member (when emailing another faculty member regarding the bullying allegations/conflict with the other student) says it’s a “mess” and they think Sanjeevi had not just trauma from past assault, but BPD and/or DID. We get no explanation for why that faculty member felt that way, but nowhere else in the entire narrative do you see any evidence of either of these disorders or info about what would make the faculty member think this (the info from the psychologist’s CAPS report doesn’t mention any Cluster B traits, but we aren’t privy to his diagnostic conclusion other than he says she has affective symptoms of depression and high stress levels) . Most of the time, we see the label and think Cluster B explains away the conflict (including people saying the person has interpersonal conflict—not seen in this narrative at all, just glowing quotes about her social skills from her undergrad and master’s). This case isn’t clear cut because so many students interviewed actually sided with Sanjeevi and per their quotes and observations, saw the other student bullying Sanjeevi and other students in the program, and reassured Sanjeevi that it was just the bully who didn’t like her, not all students (alleged bully spread rumors that everyone hated her, per the narrative) so I don’t see how the faculty informal diagnosis would invalidate Sanjeevi’s claims of bullying or mistreatment and concern about the dept’s lack of response).

It’s clear from the narrative that other students in the program thought the diversity focus was a ironic given the treatment of international students vs. white and/or indigenous students.

My takeaway is that I trust the quotes from students and faculty inaction/actions that were quoted as well, and both were compelling. I’m frankly surprised that this wasn’t settled for a much higher amount and quickly.

I’m not sure what details we aren’t privy to, but the ones we are speak very poorly of the program. Was there another set of several students alleging Sanjeevi manipulated them or bullied them as a counter-narrative?

Usually it’s easy to find holes when you read the details, but not so in this case. I would like to see the defense and their narrative, but I don’t think there’s any more info that’s public.

Reactions: 3 users