psych-res and step 2 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

md-student

I was wondering if there are any PGYs or 4th year students out there with some input on step 2 scores and matching in psychiatry.

I just got my step 2 scores back with a disappointing 190 (79). I am a US citizen and will be graduating from US med school in the upper half of my class. My step 1 scores are significantly better. I don't know what happened on step 2.

Will I have much trouble matching into psych? I'm applying mostly in the midwest (Big 10 schools) and already have several interviews lined up. I'm stressing out a bit. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

don't stress, dude, although i know its hard not to

if you JUST got your scores and didn't sign the thing so that an updated transcript always gets sent whenever there is anything to update, then your programs wont even see your score

even if they see your score, you already have interviews and they will make much more of a difference than step 2 at this point
i really think the usmle doesn't have as much weight with pscyh residencies as with other specialties, and they just want to make sure you passed. besides, with a good step 1 score, they'll probably just assume you had a bad day or something.

so don't worry. you'll be okay:)