Psych/soc section bank help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subi55

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently reviewing my answers from the psych/soc section bank and I have a question regarding one of the explanations, specifically to question #17.

They are asking what cognitive function is generally not impaired with aging. I'm confused between answers:

1) capacity for acquiring new declarative info
2) ability to retrieve general info

Answer 2 is correct, and the rational given is that the "capacity for retrieving general info (semantic memory, crystallized intelligence) is unaffected by aging."

Is there a distinction between declarative and explicit memory? I was under the impression that explicit memory could be broken down into episodic and semantic memory. The answer explanation seems to draw contrast to this unless I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently reviewing my answers from the psych/soc section bank and I have a question regarding one of the explanations, specifically to question #17.

They are asking what cognitive function is generally not impaired with aging. I'm confused between answers:

1) capacity for acquiring new declarative info
2) ability to retrieve general info

Answer 2 is correct, and the rational given is that the "capacity for retrieving general info (semantic memory, crystallized intelligence) is unaffected by aging."

Is there a distinction between declarative and explicit memory? I was under the impression that explicit memory could be broken down into episodic and semantic memory. The answer explanation seems to draw contrast to this unless I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective.

I would say 2 based on the fact that I know that patients with Alzheimers are sometimes still able to remember general information and that alzheimer's starts with retrograde amnesia so they cannot remember "new information"

And they did not say that declarative was different than explicit ! Declarative is under explicit but is divided into episodic(birthdays for example) and semantic (facts)

I would say 2 based on the fact that I know that patients with Alzheimers are sometimes still able to remember general information and that alzheimer's starts with retrograde amnesia so they cannot remember "new information"

And they did not say that declarative was different than explicit ! Declarative is under explicit but is divided into episodic(birthdays for example) and semantic (facts)

Option 2 is correct.... Which means option 1 is false. And with that we learn the capacity for acquiring new DECLARATIVE info does indeed DECREASE with age. So if thats the case, how can the answer "capacity for retrieving general info (semantic memory, crystallized intelligence) is unaffected by aging" be true if semantic memory falls under declarative??? Option 1 just implied that declarative memory is impacted by age....

Sorry if I'm not explaining this well, trying my best to sort it out lol

Option 2 is correct.... Which means option 1 is false. And with that we learn the capacity for acquiring new DECLARATIVE info does indeed DECREASE with age. So if thats the case, how can the answer "capacity for retrieving general info (semantic memory, crystallized intelligence) is unaffected by aging" be true if semantic memory falls under declarative??? Option 1 just implied that declarative memory is impacted by age....

Yes! 2 IS correct.
We know that semantic(general) and episodic fall under declarative right? so 2 says they would be able to retrieve general info

1 says new declarative info. Under declarative there is also episodic but in general they are only able to retrieve semantic so 2 is false because it contains both

I think the key distinction is "acquiring new" versus "retrieving" - where "retrieving" implies information that is already in your long-term memory.