karib

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,

So I am in between 2 jobs... I know that logically I should take the Psych tech job since it is considered direct patient care. However, truthfully I do not have interest in psych and the job consists of two 12-hour shifts saturday and sunday. OR, I can work at Tiffany for the next few months, its a seasonal position which is a downfall, but it pays more an hour and I've worked there before ect.

So question is, which one should I take? Would being a psych tech really make a big difference in the admissions process? My app so far is nowhere spectacular, taking the mcat in Jan. So any advice would be great!

Thanks!

baxt1412

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I don't think the job would be a deal breaker unless you have no other clinical experience

OP
karib

karib

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi!
Thank you for replying. I do have other clinical experience even though its not direct patient care, I volunteer every week in the outpatient surgery center (which is what im interested in).

OP
karib

karib

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Catalystik!
Thank you for replying. I got interviewed twice for the position and im pretty sure they are going to offer the tech job by the end of this week, so I also didn't want that to look bad under the hospitals system either. At outpatient I do data collection of in-out times of the OR. The big deal about my volunteering is that I shadow about 4-5 cases every day. So I've seen over 70+ surgical cases from beginning to end even the process of flipping the OR's. I get to talk to the surgeons and interact with nurses along with other surgical staff.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Hi Catalystik!
Thank you for replying. I got interviewed twice for the position and im pretty sure they are going to offer the tech job by the end of this week, so I also didn't want that to look bad under the hospitals system either. At outpatient I do data collection of in-out times of the OR. The big deal about my volunteering is that I shadow about 4-5 cases every day. So I've seen over 70+ surgical cases from beginning to end even the process of flipping the OR's. I get to talk to the surgeons and interact with nurses along with other surgical staff.
It sounds like you have more than enough shadowing time already. Can you ask to switch your primary responsibility to a role that gives you interactive time with the patients, like transporter or info desk or offerer of water and snacks during recovery?

OP
karib

karib

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, I believe I can ask and it is certainly possible. I believe I haven't done so already because I really like what I do already. But if it is something that would look a lot better of course I will do so.

OP
karib

karib

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I do offer snacks and water in recovery. Water and snacks for patient families in Pre-op of course as well. I have to speak with every patient before getting into the OR for their particular case because I need their consent. So I guess that is somewhat interactive with patients?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
I do offer snacks and water in recovery. Water and snacks for patient families in Pre-op of course as well. I have to speak with every patient before getting into the OR for their particular case because I need their consent. So I guess that is somewhat interactive with patients?
Yes. Those roles help cover med school expectations. You are in a better position than first seemed apparent.