Psych undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmie411

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently interested in the field of psychology and pharmacy. Next september I will be applying universities in Toronto for pre pharmacy, or psychology. I am considering doing my undergrad in psych at Ryerson, Waterloo, or UFT. Can anyone advise me on what type of work is done during a psych undergrad. Does it consist of tons of essays? What are assignments like? Final exams? I am not much of a great writer and would like to see if I will be able to maintain a high GPA. Any words of advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about pharmacy undergrad, nor can I say that I am expert in Psych for undergrad. I do have friends that studied (or studying for both). I graduated with a BSW just early this year but if I do have to generalize, I know enough that in the "soft" sciences, you're going to be writing ... alot. If you're not doing math, you're going to be writing sorry to say :D. Reading comprehension skills is a plus, since the ability to extrapolate information is directly tied to being able to write on a competent, college-level paper. If you are unsure about either choices I recommend calling up the college department that you are interested in applying for, speak with somebody who may give you some "unofficial" guidance on the program, and possibly counsel you on the requirements and expectation of the field and the program. After all, you are going to be spending 4+ years of your life studying, so make it an informed choice. Although your degree matters less as an undergrad imo...

Psychology undergrads vary in how much writing they require. I barely wrote at all in undergrad - had mostly exams. Writing is definitely not my strong point, which is why I wish I had done more. If you have plans to move beyond entry-level jobs in psychology you will need to write a lot. Can't speak for pharmacy.

That said, writing can be learned. Some people are naturals, but I think the VAST majority have to put in work and learn it. I'm catching up now - my writing has been steadily improving since I got to grad school. If you enjoy it and think you want to go into psychology, I wouldn't let the writing stop you. If we were good at everything going into it, there would be no need for education! It might take more effort on your part, but it might be worth it. I'd much rather study an area I love and work on the improving the things I struggle with, then study an area that doesn't interest me as much just because I have a knack for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychology undergrads vary in how much writing they require. I barely wrote at all in undergrad - had mostly exams. Writing is definitely not my strong point, which is why I wish I had done more. If you have plans to move beyond entry-level jobs in psychology you will need to write a lot. Can't speak for pharmacy.

That said, writing can be learned. Some people are naturals, but I think the VAST majority have to put in work and learn it. I'm catching up now - my writing has been steadily improving since I got to grad school. If you enjoy it and think you want to go into psychology, I wouldn't let the writing stop you. If we were good at everything going into it, there would be no need for education! It might take more effort on your part, but it might be worth it. I'd much rather study an area I love and work on the improving the things I struggle with, then study an area that doesn't interest me as much just because I have a knack for it.

Thank you for your wise words. Your right, most people do put in work to learn it. I plan on attending graduate school but I guess you could say I was asking indirectly if there is room to grow and learn in undergrad since I know that I could definatley use some help with my writing skills. I am willing to learn and excel, I'm not trying to avoid writing since its not something I hate to begin with. Just wondering what type of work undergrad requires and how hard it is to maintain a high GPA for someone who is determined and devoted but doesn't neccessarily have the ability to write like an author (yet). If you don't mind me asking what were the exams like? Did you have to do tons of reading and then have to apply that knowledge in an exam? How would you rate the level of difficulty? I really don't mean to ask too many questions but I feel I will be able to be better informed on this forum than calling a school because the deans and advisors are always busy. Thank you again for your advice.

Thank you for your wise words. Your right, most people do put in work to learn it. I plan on attending graduate school but I guess you could say I was asking indirectly if there is room to grow and learn in undergrad since I know that I could definatley use some help with my writing skills. I am willing to learn and excel, I'm not trying to avoid writing since its not something I hate to begin with. Just wondering what type of work undergrad requires and how hard it is to maintain a high GPA for someone who is determined and devoted but doesn't neccessarily have the ability to write like an author (yet). If you don't mind me asking what were the exams like? Did you have to do tons of reading and then have to apply that knowledge in an exam? How would you rate the level of difficulty? I really don't mean to ask too many questions but I feel I will be able to be better informed on this forum than calling a school because the deans and advisors are always busy. Thank you again for your advice.

I think you said it yourself: You are determined.

Congratulations! You're already ahead of many in college since they lacked the one thing that fundamentally help them get good grades as a frosh : )

I think you'll do fine if you put in the effort like you will. College have so many resources, as long as you are willing to utilize them, you'll learn. Writing Centers, Peer Review Centers, 1 on 1 with Professors, Workshops, etc.

I'm afraid I can't really answer that question because there is just a HUGE amount of variance even across different classes within the same school, let alone between schools. I don't know that I have ever taken a psychology exam I found difficult. Some were harder than others, but I've never had one I found impossibly hard. Others probably have. Some people might have taken the same exam and found it hard. There's just no way to know. Some just involved regurgitation information (e.g. All of the following are symptoms of depression except for...). Others involved more critical-thinking and application.

There's no way for us to tell you if you can maintain a high GPA. There's certainly room to grow and learn. Again, if there wasn't there would be no point to education. From the brief sampling of your posts here, your writing clearly isn't horrific. Most words are spelled correctly, and you clearly have a functional knowledge of grammar. That puts you ahead of more people than you might think:)

There's really no way to know other than going there and trying. It sounds like you are motivated and willing to work for it. That tells me the odds are better than someone who is going to college because their parents want them to and they heard the parties are great. Beyond that, no one here is going to be able to tell you anything for certain.