psychiatric evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmedclinic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was working out at my gym this morning, watching the news and I saw the jet blue situation, and reportedly, the pilot needs a psychiatric evaluation.

I'm referring to this:
http://wbztv.com/business/pilot.crash.plane.2.1706940.html

Anyways, it got me thinking. I'm very familiar with a psychological evaluation, and even the tests I'd consider using in this type of situation.

1.So, how different is a psychiatric evaluation than one we'd do in psychology?

2.What I really want to know is if it just signed off my psychiatrist, and more comprehensive on the medical aspects, or do they use different assessment tools than we'd use? (MMPI-2-RF, MCMI-III, Clinical Interview, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they do a clinical interview, MSE only, and then write a summary of their opinion.

Interesting to see how they'll handle this because seeking mental health services is rather frowned upon in aviation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting to see how they'll handle this because seeking mental health services is rather frowned upon in aviation.

Yeah, even the newest ruling by the FAA on antidepressants is pretty harsh. Regardless of the general feelings about mental health, I can't imagine this guy is ever going to fly again. If Jet Blue kept him or any other airline hired him and then there was a crash, either deliberate or accidental, the airline would have a hard time living down the publicity from it, on top of all the lawsuits they would face.