Psychiatrist vs. Psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out which career path is best given what I want to do in the future. I'm very interested in working with others with anxiety and mood disorders so I want to specialize in that probably. I also have a great interest in neuroscience, pharmacology, etc. as well. I want to do research, work with patients and possible teach as well eventually. So would med school and a psychiatry/ psychopharm path be better or a Ph.D. in psychology?? I want to be able to have the greatest amount of options but also don't want to be stuck in a role as a "pill pusher" and not be able to provide therapy and do research in my areas of interest. Any suggestions or advice??

Dash

Members don't see this ad.

I think that the medical degree would be your best option. A good medical program would give you training in therapy. What about a combined MD/PhD or DO/PhD program? (especially since you're interested in research)

Dash-

Well, I went through much the same thought process about 3 years ago (I was a psych major in undergrad). Some of the things I thought through might be relevant. First off, the fear of being stuck as a "pill pusher" is a legit concern in the era of managed care moving into Mental Health. However, it really depends on the individual psychiatrist. It seems to me like your other interests (neuro and pharm) point towards the MD route. The research in getting a PhD in psych is very different...yes, you can do some neurology, but if you want to do research on which drug/drugs work best for mood disorders, you'll need the MD background. If, on the other hand, you want to investigate whether humanistic therapy vs. psychoanalytic therapy is more effective, the the psychology route might be more appropriate. As for teaching, either path allows that option, once again in really depends on what you want to teach and to whom. Of course, there is also the point that a PhD in Psych in free...

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree. I have worked with both, and seen psychiatrists become "pill pushers" over time. I think if you go to a good clinical psychology program, you will be better fulfilled. Plus, (and I may be wrong on this) it is relatively easier to get into a clinical psych program than medical school b/c before you get in, you would have chosen a school with a higher emphasis on clinical settings as opposed to med school, where you get in first, and then get branched into the spec. you like.

Going to med school would put you in line with other people who want to be Ob/Gyns, Peds, ER etc etc etc. Too much diversity, for my taste, if I knew I was only interested in clinical psychology. If you were in a clinical psych program, you would be learning alongside people who think like you, and have similar goals/interests professionally. Anyway, just my two cents.....
Plus, you may want to look into relative school time for each. Some PhD programs can run as long as 7-8 years, just like MD programs. Keep that in mind too.
Tweetie

PS: forgot to mention, i have seen psychologists do LOTS of research too. :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•Plus, (and I may be wrong on this) it is relatively easier to get into a clinical psych program than medical school b/c before you get in, you would have chosen a school with a higher emphasis on clinical settings as opposed to med school, where you get in first, and then get branched into the spec. you like.
•••••Actually, tweetie, getting into a good clinical psych program is just as hard, if not harder, then getting into a good med school. The class size in most programs is less than 10 a year.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Vin Scully:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•Plus, (and I may be wrong on this) it is relatively easier to get into a clinical psych program than medical school b/c before you get in, you would have chosen a school with a higher emphasis on clinical settings as opposed to med school, where you get in first, and then get branched into the spec. you like.
•••••Actually, tweetie, getting into a good clinical psych program is just as hard, if not harder, then getting into a good med school. The class size in most programs is less than 10 a year.•••••Hey Voice of the Dodgers-

The small size of the psych programs (< 10/year) is only relevant when compared to medical schools IF the applicant pool is as strong as those applying to medical schools. . .

That's what I thought, since i have a friend doing that right now, hence i didn't want to make any judgements. Clinical Psych IS harder to get into, but the number of people applying to that specific program might be lesser than number of people applying to a particular med school....atleast in my opinion.

Here's another idea Dash--get your University's Medical Directory and find the psychologists in there (usually under Psych dept). Usually, those psychologists that do research also have their dept listed in there. For example, a particular person's name might be listed under the "X and Y Project" and they might be a PhD. Go talk to them, see what kinds of options there are for Psychologists in the "neuro-pharmacology-cognitive disorders" area. Good luck in your decision process. :)

::::sigh:::: I guess the point I was trying to make is that premeds don't have the luxury of picking which schools to apply to based on the spec they want to go into. thus, they apply to as many schools as possible, hoping to get into just ONE. Thus, by numbers, it may be harder to get into a medical school than a clinical psych program.

On the other hand, getting into a clinical psych program might be *easier* (numbers-wise) because those that want to go into Psychobiology or another psych division won't even apply to the clinical psych program. Hence, numbers are smaller making it statistically easier to get into. third time's a charm...hope I am clear enough this time.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by The Fly:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Vin Scully:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•••••Actually, tweetie, getting into a good clinical psych program is just as hard, if not harder, then getting into a good med school. The class size in most programs is less than 10 a year.•••••Hey Voice of the Dodgers-

The small size of the psych programs (< 10/year) is only relevant when compared to medical schools IF the applicant pool is as strong as those applying to medical schools. . .•••••Trust me, I looked into applying to these programs as well. The applicant pool is definitely as strong, they are just stronger in different areas than most of us on this board.

Oh, and I like the suggestion of talking to some psychologists at your university, you may also want to find some psychiatrists to compare notes against...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Tweetie_bird:
•::::sigh:::: I guess the point I was trying to make is that premeds don't have the luxury of picking which schools to apply to based on the spec they want to go into. thus, they apply to as many schools as possible, hoping to get into just ONE. Thus, by numbers, it may be harder to get into a medical school than a clinical psych program.

On the other hand, getting into a clinical psych program might be *easier* (numbers-wise) because those that want to go into Psychobiology or another psych division won't even apply to the clinical psych program. Hence, numbers are smaller making it statistically easier to get into. third time's a charm...hope I am clear enough this time.•••••Ah, I see where your going now. Sorry for the mix up. From what research I did, I think the numbers break down to something like 100 people applying for 5 spots at a clinical psych program (at least the good ones), which is pretty comparable to a lot of us with 5,000 going for 250 acceptances...

Thanks for all the advice, I've thought about maybe an MD/PhD. I guess I have significant interests in areas that both of these professionals deal with i.e., cognitive behavior therapy (CBT)for psychologists and neuro/pharm on the M.D. side and want to make sure I have the best of both in a way. I am working on speaking with people in both to get a better idea about what is best. I appreciate the feedback..anyone else with advice??

Dash

sounds like maybe you would fit in best at an MD/PhD program.

see the Pre-MSTP forum if you're interested.