kurite

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,
I have read several sources stating that psychiatrists usually work around 35 hours a week, many even less so. Is there a reason for that? From my understanding we are currently at a deficit for psychiatrists?
Thanks

WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
1...because the deficit isn't our problem in the great scheme of things. Those 35 hours are 35 hours that would otherwise not be serving anyone. I'm not going to work 8am to 6pm five days a week out of the goodness of my heart. I'll take my 40 hour workweek and enjoy my life outside of medicine, thank you very much.

2. those 35-40 hours can have a psychological intensity that doesn't exist in other specialties.

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
Systemic defecits are not the individual providers problem. Much like a surplus wouldn't obligate me to work less in order to leave patients for other docs, a shortage doesn't make me work more.

NontradCA

American Hero
7+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2012
Trump Tower
Status
Medical Student
Because they can. They can also charge north of $300/hr and cater to rich patients, which a lot do. That doesn't mean they're wrong, or they should feel bad about it. My understanding is that medicare and insurance reimbursement for psychiatrists is a joke, which is more reflective of how our whole culture views mental illness. It's everyone's responsibility, not just providers. And when I say everyone, I mean the government.

Reactions: Nasrudin

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
While 35 hrs/wk s amount to FT hours, it is probably not much considering most physicians work a lot more than that... Only derm and EM docs enjoy these kind of hours... But psych docs don't make 400k/year like them :(. By the way, CIM put psych ~46 hrs/wk (227k/year)... Not sure if I should believe these numbers since some physicians in here say these salary surveys are not accurate.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Systemic defecits are not the individual providers problem. Much like a surplus wouldn't obligate me to work less in order to leave patients for other docs, a shortage doesn't make me work more.
I agree with this overall sentiment, but we have to remember that we get into this profession for a reason and this reason is to make our patients' lives better... Not saying someone should be a martyr to the profession, but we also have to try to do everything possible to help our patients. Working a little more hours in a specialty that has shortage of 'providers' is not a big deal IMO...

Last edited:

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2014
ヽ(´ー`)ノ
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Because they can. They can also charge north of $300/hr and cater to rich patients, which a lot do. That doesn't mean they're wrong, or they should feel bad about it. My understanding is that medicare and insurance reimbursement for psychiatrists is a joke, which is more reflective of how our whole culture views mental illness. It's everyone's responsibility, not just providers. And when I say everyone, I mean the government.
Bro what is a provider?

Reactions: URMD and NontradCA

sb247

Doer of things
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
forums.studentdoctor.net
I agree with this overall sentiment, but we have to remember that we get into this profession for a reason and this reason is to make our patients' lives better... Not saying someone should be a martyr to the profession, but we also have to try to do everything possible to help our patients. Working a little more hours in a specialty that has shortage of 'providers' is not a big deal IMO...
Then you can work more

Wordead

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
People choose their specialty based on a lot of things....psych is pretty popular among the lifestyle crew. Whether that's wrong or right is a different issue. But you cant really condemn them if you aren't also condemning the part timers in other specialties.

Ellie Arroway

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2010
Smithville, TN
Try talking to SUPER MEGA ANXIOUS patients, and patients with schizoaffective disorder who are totally manic and talking five miles per minute about how they are on the edge of uniting string theory with the standard model so they can finally unravel the Roman Catholic conspiracy to steal their thoughts through the TV, and patients who just hung themselves, and barely lived through it, and might do it again the second you turn your back...for 60+ hours a week. You need some time to get your head back together.