Psychiatry and Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deezefx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on potential problems or pitfalls getting a neurology spot as a second residency following completion of a psychiatry residency? It appears being boarded in both seems quite reasonable.

Members don't see this ad.

I've known a couple people that have done both. One went from psych to neuro and the other vice versa.

There's a good deal of overlap in the training, especially given that they're both certified by ABPN.

Depending on your stage of training, it's probably easier to pick just one and go with it. I would think it would be a challenge in doing a split practice between the 2 fields.

Any thoughts on potential problems or pitfalls getting a neurology spot as a second residency following completion of a psychiatry residency? It appears being boarded in both seems quite reasonable.

There are combined neurology-psychiatry residency programs. The only one that comes to mind immediately is NYU, but AMA FRIEDA will have a full listing.

-AT.

My understanding is that if you want to practice psychiatry with some emphasis on neuropsych, then you should NOT waste your time getting double boarded. Instead of wasting time, do a psych residency with some additional neuropsych and/or research training.

If you want to practice neuropsychiatry (as in headache, TBI, neuroimaging research), then consider the double board.