Psychiatry Attending is Psychoanalyzing me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm in my third year psychiatry clerkship and I swear my attending is analyzing me. On Friday, she was working in odd questions into the conversation, like am I superstitious or do I believe in voodoo. I wanted to say "no, I am not schizotypal why are you asking?" Honestly, I do think I have some schizoid traits (like most med students who prefer to bury themselves in work rather than go out to the bar with some old college buddies). And, maybe I'm exhibiting some cluster A traits, specifically paranoia. Anyway, I know I'm going to be super uncomfortable around this attending for the rest of the rotation. How do I get through it while fearing my attending thinks I have a personality disorder? Is there an appropriate way to get them to stop?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask her if she knows how to take BP. When she says no tell her to stop with the ****ing questions and you will too

So, I'm in my third year psychiatry clerkship and I swear my attending is analyzing me. On Friday, she was working in odd questions into the conversation, like am I superstitious or do I believe in voodoo. I wanted to say "no, I am not schizotypal why are you asking?" Honestly, I do think I have some schizoid traits (like most med students who prefer to bury themselves in work rather than go out to the bar with some old college buddies). And, maybe I'm exhibiting some cluster A traits, specifically paranoia. Anyway, I know I'm going to be super uncomfortable around this attending for the rest of the rotation. How do I get through it while fearing my attending thinks I have a personality disorder? Is there an appropriate way to get them to stop?
Try to be friendly and frame it as a joke to let her know you know what she's up to and that you think she's being silly "Voodoo? Hahaha as if I'm schizotypal? Next week I'll start hearing voices to make myself co-morbid ;)." She'll stop because she'll know you're not stupid and caught up to her game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this a bad thing? People that don't enjoy psychoanalysis are generally scared of what can be found out or whatever. I've been psychoanalyzed numerous times and really enjoy it. It brings things up that you wouldn't normally catch on your own or it helps you figure out why you do things. I'd say enjoy it... it's not going to hurt you. Would you have an issue with a physician asking you about how much you workout/what you eat?

You're blowing this way out of proportion.

Welcome to psychiatry dude. Never met a psych doc that I spent a significant amount of time with on a rotation that didn't ask me about my mother.

Also I would NOT say that all med students exhibit schitzoid traits. U might be weird.

Last edited:
Relax. Your suspicion that the attending is analyzing you is probably just a paranoid delusion.

Bro, I'd just humor him/her and submit to their psychoanalysis.

It's like expecting a dentist not to notice **** about your teeth.

Bro, I'd just humor him/her and submit to their psychoanalysis.

It's like expecting a dentist not to notice **** about your teeth.

Haha exactly! I'd be concerned if the psychiatrist I rotated with wasn't at least a little curious about my mental well being!

Why are you analyzing her analysis of you? Do you have a problem with people doing their jobs? If so, you must be paranoid and delusional!

:p

this is how they pimp in psych. you failed.

Ask her if she knows how to take BP. When she says no tell her to stop with the ****ing questions and you will too

lol, that's pretty funny.

Welcome to psychiatry dude. Never met a psych doc that I spent a significant amount of time with on a rotation that didn't ask me about my mother.

Also I would NOT say that all med students exhibit schitzoid traits. U might be weird.

Agree. You sound really weird. Sorry.

I agree with other posters that you sound like there is something abnormal in you.

I had a psych attending ask me some stuff like that, I oked about it, answered the questions, and never got repeats.

This is how I would respond

Psych Attending: "Do you believe in Voodoo"
Me: "You mean like those dolls that you stick needles into and it causes pain to what the doll looks like? No, why would I believe in that"

Idk though, never had a psych attending psychoanalyze me. Maybe that's because i'm either 1) very good at hiding the crazy or 2) NOT CRAZY.