1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Psychiatry DO residencies? How to avoid TRI?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by osteodoct, Jul 19, 2006.

1. osteodoct

osteodoct Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi,
    DOes anyone out there know how I can avoid doing the TRI and go into Psych and be able to practice in the 5 states that I believe require that additional year? I don't see the point if I know I want to do psych. Are there other DO students that have gone into psych that could shed some insight??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. HoodyHoo

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I talked to a Michigan State Rep and they said they incoporate it into their program so that psych is now 4 years instead of 5. so maybe other schools in those 5 states also are doing that. ask the program.

4. ENS

ENS Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To my knowledge, there isn't a lot of psych programs that are AOA a credited.
    I'm a 4th year at CCOM, and two of my friends are interns at their respective program at USC and Case Western. Psych is needed especially since a lot of people are not going into it. So, for sure you won't have a problem getting into an allopathic program.

5. JonnyG

JonnyG IN the hospitals....
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you can apply for a hardship exception to the TRI. Since there are few AOA psych programs, you could use that to justify an allopathic residency as satisfying the TRI. Something like 90% of hardship request are honored (i forget the resolution number for this)

6. relish

relish Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody know how to apply for this hardship? Has anybody out there gone through this process? It seems like a lot of red tape. I heard that exceptions to the TRI are allowed if you are accepted to a program in a city without a TRI opportunity.

7. toothless rufus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What is TRI? "The Required Internship?"

8. osteodoct

osteodoct Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yeah, pretty much. The official name: Traditional Rotating Internship.

9. toothless rufus

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh, that. :) Thanks!

10. southerngirldo

Medical Student
    I'm in the same boat as the original post. I want to go into psych, I live in Florida (one of the states requiring an internship), and I do not want to do the dreaded TRL. I looked up Resolution 42, but the criteria that I think could apply for me is ambiguous. It basically says that if you are in a specialty or subspecialty that the AOA doesn't have an internship/residency, that you can get AOA approval for and ACGME internship as part of its residency. That would be psychiatry, but has anyone used this as a reason to get approval for Resolution 42? Help!!! The director of the ACGME residency is willing to meet all of the requirements of the AOA, but the AOA won't tell me anything until I am already in a program.
    Anyone have any ideas or similar situations??

Thanks,
    southerngirldo

11. sasevan

sasevan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When I was doing my psychology residency at UM/Jackson in Miami there was an NSU grad doing her (I forgot her name) psychiatry residency there that got the waiver. It can be done. NSU should be able to assist with this. If not contact the psychiatry dept at Jackson and see if you can locate that DO psych resident.
    Best of luck and please keep us posted as to your progress (I anticipate being in your position in about 5 years from now).

12. southerngirldo

Medical Student
    Thanks for the info! It's good to know that someone was able to get the waiver. I didn't know if the only reason that one could get approval was because there were no internships nearby. That definitely isn't the case for the Miami area. I will call Jackson/Miami and see if they know who it was. I also didn't think that NSU would be of any help, but I will try them too.
    Thanks again, maybe there is a way for me to not have to do the TRI!

:)