Psychiatry/Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solumanculver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any real connection between these two? I've read articles that say psychiatry and endocrinology are coming closer in research, but I notice there's no psychoendocrinology fellowship, or anything of the kind. Of course, some psych patients will be obese and have diabetes, but that's not exactly a compelling link...

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is a huge area of potential for psychiatrists to venture into. There is a definite body of evidence emerging which points to hormonal-psychiatric association. With prominent side hormonal side effects of psychiatric medications, psychiatrists are well-served to think like endocrinologists.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g655058q80754u20/?p=85f7142bbb6b4bfdaf3a812e6a07fe9d&pi=0

Someone on this forum can probably provide you with more links illustrating the above.

Yeah, I saw that article online... It's actually kind of the reason I posted here. It says "There is growing documentation that a variety of hormones can both influence mood and behavior and be affected by them"... but this article was written in 1979 and I can't find much after it containing any of the "growing documentation"... Why isn't there some kind of psycho-endocrinology research fellowship or something if this is a growing field?

Members don't see this ad :)
Endocrinology is an important facet of Psychiatry

-Thyroid function is important for mood & anxiety DOs
-several sexual & gender ID DOs have some relationship
-several sexual side effects have some relationship
-several endocrine DOs can mimic psychiatric DOs: e.g pheochromocytoma can cause anxiety or cause symptoms mimicing a panic attack
-calcium regulation (regulated by the parathyroid) if out of whack can cause psychiatric sx
-Reproductive Psychiatry depends on knowledge of the female reproductive cycle

-psychiatric meds can cause metabolic problems. New APA/ADA guidelines now have psychiatrists on the lookout for diabetes and call for psychiatrists to work with PCPs to monitor metabolic aspects with antipsychotic tx.

there's a lot more I'm not bringing up.

In short there's a lot of medical stuff psychiatrists should know.

E.g. Hepatitis C tx: Interferon often induces severe depression. If you get a patient suicidal because of IFN show up to you in the ER, you better damn well know IFN probably caused it and discontinue it.

ER doctors often dump medically unstable patients onto crisis psychiatrists, slapping them as "medically cleared". As a crisis psychiatrist, you got to spot these and tell the ER doctor to take them back.

During consult-liason psychiatry, the medical floor doctor will often request that you treat a psyche condition the patient has, and often times the patient really has a medically induced psyche condition that really needs to be treated by the IM doctor--not you. You have to have some good medical knowledge to figure these out.

Good points by whopper

Cushing's syndrome and corticosteroids are also potential causes of depression and psychosis.

Psychological stress is associated with elevated cortisol levels. Elevated cortisol in turn is associated with higher rates of depression.

There are certainly many more examples. Body effects the mind, and mind effects the body.

While there has certainly been research into the Psych/Endo relationship, it's unlikely to become a fellowship since most docs in either field can manage many of the said conditions.

E.g. Hepatitis C tx: Interferon often induces severe depression. If you get a patient suicidal because of IFN show up to you in the ER, you better damn well know IFN probably caused it and discontinue it.

A good post from whopper, as usual. I have a problem with psychiatrists discontinuing IFN in HepC Rx, though. From my experience, you would end up with pretty pissed off hepatologists and a potentially screwed up patient. You do have to be aware that IFN can cause severe depression and suicidal behaviour, no doubt. However, it would be much better to admit the patient for observations and liaise with the hepatologist asap. You need to reassess the patient as a whole: maybe, s/he will be able to continue with the IFN, given appropriate social/psychological support and antidepressants if necessary. Of course, the patient's social circumstances and motivation are central to your decision-making in this situation - but it takes time and effort to find out more about these.

In any case, you cannot just discontinue peg-interferon - its elimination will take some time after the last dose, so you have to admit the patient anyway.

have a problem with psychiatrists discontinuing IFN in HepC Rx, though. From my experience, you would end up with pretty pissed off hepatologists and a potentially screwed up patient. You do have to be aware that IFN can cause severe depression and suicidal behaviour, no doubt. However, it would be much better to admit the patient for observations and liaise with the hepatologist asap.

I get your point...

but most of the leading authorities that have researched this topic suggest that IFN needs to be DC'd if the severity of depression is to the point where its suicidal.

However you are certainly right that you don't just DC all the time. Talking with the doctor prescribing the IFN is always a good course of action, even if you're going to DC it. There may be some circumstances involved that you don't know about. I've wondered myself what would happen if someone was on IFN and became suicidal and they only had a few more days or weeks left of IFN needed. It'd be a shame to just DC the IFN (Though on the other hand, the IFN induced depression sx usually starts early in the course of therapy).

Anyways--and this is a good job oppurtunity, every GI doc I've known told me they need a psychiatrist to work with them because of the IFN induced depression. They tell me whenever their patient is depressed from IFN, they don't know what to do & don't have someone they can refer to because of the lack of psychiatrists.

A good post from whopper, as usual. I have a problem with psychiatrists discontinuing IFN in HepC Rx, though. From my experience, you would end up with pretty pissed off hepatologists and a potentially screwed up patient. You do have to be aware that IFN can cause severe depression and suicidal behaviour, no doubt. However, it would be much better to admit the patient for observations and liaise with the hepatologist asap. You need to reassess the patient as a whole: maybe, s/he will be able to continue with the IFN, given appropriate social/psychological support and antidepressants if necessary. Of course, the patient's social circumstances and motivation are central to your decision-making in this situation - but it takes time and effort to find out more about these.

In any case, you cannot just discontinue peg-interferon - its elimination will take some time after the last dose, so you have to admit the patient anyway.

I agree with the above. It is always good to look at risk:benefit ratio in this case. I have a pt who is on interferon and was started on antidepressants after he had symptoms of depression. He had suicidal ideation but never any intent or plan. He is quite stable on Wellbutrin at this time.

but I notice there's no psychoendocrinology fellowship, or anything of the kind

I should've addressed this in my first post.

Although knowledge of endocrinology is important in psychiatry, IMHO its not to the point where the demand will warrant the creation of a fellowship. E.g. if I got a depressed patient who is depressed because of hypothyroidism, the treatment is not complicated. You treat the hypothyroidism. Yes, I'm not an endocrinologist, I simply refer the patient to one or get a consult.

Another example: psychiatric DOs often can have somatic GI symptoms. E.g. some abdominal discomfort when a patient has anxiety. Does that warrant a Gastroenterology-Psychiatry fellowship? There's a lot of complexity with the connections with the CNS & ANS with the GI tract which have to do with this, and it would be a great field of study, but speaking practically, is there a market for it (financially & academically) to the point where a fellowship is wanted?

It would seem to me that one of the fields where endocrine really needs to be known well is with sexual & gender ID DOs. However I've noticed (at least from my limited training & experience) that this is more with developmental aspects of sexuality & gender identity that practical clinical endocrinology does not touch. E.g. endocrinologists detect thyroid problems, treat them etc. I haven't met one that delves into the theories of testosterone masculinization during in utero development and how it affects gender identity.

The only people I've seen that have really tackled this issue are research psychologists. I've taken several developmental endocrinological psychology classes in college and very little of it correlated with clinical psychiatry or endocrinology.

Why? I'm not certain, but I'd figure it has to do with sexual & gender identity DOs being a type of "closet" problem--its something that isn't as common as the other psyche DOs, and people with it often don't seek treatment for it---> causing little demand for clinical services for it.

Another problem is there is a strong lack of knowledge in this field because researchers cannot research on human fetuses for obvious reasons. So there are still many questions in this field that are unanswered and until they are answered--cannot lead to practical treatments.

I forgot the name of the person, but there was a famous case of a boy who lost his penis during a botched circumcision. The (erroneous) theory at the time was that male & female babies are virtually the same except for the differing genitalia. We now know that to not be true, and there have been studies showing that hormones affect the brain's development in-utero.

The poor baby was given a sex change surgery to a female at the suggestion of doctors based on the above theory--(a theory with pretty much no studies to back it up--it was just a theory). Well that poor kid turned out to feel she was a boy her entire life. She identified herself as a male.

This is truly a case where a psychiatrist with real endocrinological knowledge on the development of a fetus would have been crucial.

However such an expertise is so rare and in so little demand, and not within the realm of today's practical clinical training.

I've had hundreds of patients in my last 3 years. Only 2 of them had a gender ID DO and did not want treatment for it.

I guess its something like the field of Reproductive Psychiatry. Yes there is a need for it, yes hormones do affect emotions, but there's no fellowship for it.

There is also a theory that estrogen may be protective against schizophrenia, and this is evidenced by SCZ appearing later in females and the rare "late onset schizophrenia" which often starts in females > 40. The theory being that decreased estrogen may be contributing to worsening psychosis which was not apparent until premenopause.

So of course, I ask the question, "if this theory is around why don't psychiatrists offer HRT as a possible treatment against SCZ?"--and no one I asked could give me a good answer.

Sorry for the overly long post.

Bottom line: Endocrine is pillar of medicine that is crucial for psychiatry, but there doesn't appear to be enough of a demand for an endopsychiatric fellowship. I would still reccomend having a good knowledge of it because it and several other aspects of medicine will help you be a better psychiatrist in the long run.

IMHO--endo-psychiatry may yield some valuable contributions in the next few decades, such as offering treatments for sex offenders, sexual & gender ID DOs and there may be better knowledge on the effects of hormones on emotions.

I'm still surprised I've seen very little data on the adverse & beneficial effects of hormonal treatments on emotions. Several females I've known who go on birth control rave or hate specific OCP brands for the emotional effects it had on them.