Psychiatry Fellowship Selection Criteria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most psychiatry residency programs that I have looked into offer several months of elective opportunities in the PGY-4.

I am interested in pursuing a forensics or addiction psychiatry fellowship after residency.

If I submit my fellowship application at the end of PGY-3 or beginning of PGY-4, will programs know which rotations I have selected for my elective months? In other words, how much weight is placed on the PGY-4 (if any) if one has already sumbitted their fellowship application?

I am wondering what criteria fellowship programs use to select applicants if they dont get significant exposure to a subspecialty like forensics or addiction until PGY-4? Is selection mostly based on recommendation letters from your psychiatry residency program's faculty?

I realize most people on this forum are medical students, but if any psych residents or those with knowledge of this subject could offer some insight, please reply. I would greatly appreciate any helpful info.

Thanks, and good luck to all the 4th year medical students with your psychiatry residency interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

1. for child you can apply at your PGY3, for the rest you've to apply in PGY4.
2.research exp, good lors, personal communications takes precedence over electives.
hope this helps.
prominence said:
Most psychiatry residency programs that I have looked into offer several months of elective opportunities in the PGY-4.

I am interested in pursuing a forensics or addiction psychiatry fellowship after residency.

If I submit my fellowship application at the end of PGY-3 or beginning of PGY-4, will programs know which rotations I have selected for my elective months? In other words, how much weight is placed on the PGY-4 (if any) if one has already sumbitted their fellowship application?

I am wondering what criteria fellowship programs use to select applicants if they dont get significant exposure to a subspecialty like forensics or addiction until PGY-4? Is selection mostly based on recommendation letters from your psychiatry residency program's faculty?

I realize most people on this forum are medical students, but if any psych residents or those with knowledge of this subject could offer some insight, please reply. I would greatly appreciate any helpful info.

Thanks, and good luck to all the 4th year medical students with your psychiatry residency interviews.

Since most psychiatry residents choose not to specialize (in other words they finish their 4 years and go into practice), the pool of people applying for psychiatry fellowships is small. All except child psych are applied for at the end of PGY-3/beginning of PGY-4. Your PGY-4 year will likely not provide much difference in your application unless you are doing some significant amount of research during that period. Your might want to highlight your planned work if you want. Good letters, experience in the field or research interests are likely to help you the most. I would advise getting your applications in early since programs are eager to lock up slots and figure who they will have around for the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are psychiatry residencies generally highly competitive (like radonc, rads, or derm) or are they less so?

I'm curious whether most medical students who do reasonably well in their clinical years and on the boards will be able to secure a psych residency slot someplace, or whether research, A+'s in coursework, and other distinguishing factors are musts for consideration...?

kidshrink said:
Since most psychiatry residents choose not to specialize (in other words they finish their 4 years and go into practice), the pool of people applying for psychiatry fellowships is small. All except child psych are applied for at the end of PGY-3/beginning of PGY-4. Your PGY-4 year will likely not provide much difference in your application unless you are doing some significant amount of research during that period. Your might want to highlight your planned work if you want. Good letters, experience in the field or research interests are likely to help you the most. I would advise getting your applications in early since programs are eager to lock up slots and figure who they will have around for the following year.

KidShrink (I love your UserName!),
Are you currently in a program in California? I'm currently an MS1 at KCOM and I would love to do a Psych/Child Psych residency in CA. Would you mind PM-ing me about your program and your experiences so far? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

-N