1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychiatry Journals: Prestige, Rankings, etc.

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by masterofmonkeys, Dec 28, 2008.

1. masterofmonkeys

masterofmonkeys Angy Old Man
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can find impact factors easily enough, but just wondering if there are unofficial 'subjective' rankings out there.

I know how it works in my field (bioanthropology). If you can get it into nature or science, you are on the short list of people who could potentially be the second coming of jesus. If you can get into one of the big general journals like evolution, behavior, animal behavior, you're a demigod. And then there are top bioanthropology journals. Followed by a couple of field-specific journals, and then the rest.

There are very clear grades of journals and it's often pretty critical when it comes to jobs, grants, etc. how many of each type of publication you have in an 'A', 'B', or 'C' level journal.

Anyone know if there are tiers like that for psychiatric journals?

Also, if any journals with decent impact factors are more amenable to research in meditation and exercise?

And, if you're a buddhist, submitting an article about mindfulness-based interventions, shouldn't you have to declare that as a conflict of interest?

#1 masterofmonkeys, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. whopper

whopper Former jolly good fellow
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've never seen a ranking system for journals, more word of mouth from psychiatrists.

The higher quality ones IMHO-American Journal of Psychiatry, British Journal of Psychiatry & Biological Psychiatry.

The NEJM, while not devoted to solely to Psychiatry has published some of the most groundbreaking articles including the CATIE trial.

Some of the other journals have a more pop-slant such as Current Psychiatry, but are still very good journals & well written.

I'm sure there is a more systematic way to grade journals since there are some journals which clearly have articles with more resources put into them vs others. I just can't think of a source right now.

4. OldPsychDoc

OldPsychDoc Senior Curmudgeon
    Physician Moderator Emeritus SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Would just add Archives of General Psychiatry to that list.

5. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agree with OPD. I like the archives.