Psychiatry Journals: Prestige, Rankings, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can find impact factors easily enough, but just wondering if there are unofficial 'subjective' rankings out there.

I know how it works in my field (bioanthropology). If you can get it into nature or science, you are on the short list of people who could potentially be the second coming of jesus. If you can get into one of the big general journals like evolution, behavior, animal behavior, you're a demigod. And then there are top bioanthropology journals. Followed by a couple of field-specific journals, and then the rest.

There are very clear grades of journals and it's often pretty critical when it comes to jobs, grants, etc. how many of each type of publication you have in an 'A', 'B', or 'C' level journal.

Anyone know if there are tiers like that for psychiatric journals?

Also, if any journals with decent impact factors are more amenable to research in meditation and exercise?

And, if you're a buddhist, submitting an article about mindfulness-based interventions, shouldn't you have to declare that as a conflict of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've never seen a ranking system for journals, more word of mouth from psychiatrists.

The higher quality ones IMHO-American Journal of Psychiatry, British Journal of Psychiatry & Biological Psychiatry.

The NEJM, while not devoted to solely to Psychiatry has published some of the most groundbreaking articles including the CATIE trial.

Some of the other journals have a more pop-slant such as Current Psychiatry, but are still very good journals & well written.

I'm sure there is a more systematic way to grade journals since there are some journals which clearly have articles with more resources put into them vs others. I just can't think of a source right now.