Psychiatry or Clinical Psychology/ PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmiller1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have posted a few times in regards to a similar topic.. I am currently in undergrad and have always considered becoming a clinical psychologist first. I had taken my psychology prerequisites for PsyD programs and some biology courses / a couple of premed courses just Incase I decided to go premed. As I’ve gotten older, I realize I want to do meds and therapy..i am not sure on what to do.. I have gotten different opinions. I am a first generation college student and would love some guidance and/ or if anyone has gone through something similar I would love to know how you approached the problem and why you made the decision you did.. for some reason I keep considering psychiatry as a career option, but some people tell me to steer clear due to matching getting more competitive.. but I personally don’t see that as a reason to give up on it all together.. if you felt strongly about psychiatry, do you think Med school is worth the go? I know Med school is more than psychiatry and you become a physician first. Would love to hear different opinions.. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've responded to one of your other posts. I was also split between medical school and something more mental health or public health related. Ultimately I pursued medical school because I've experienced first-hand how difficult it is to find a psychiatrist, let alone one you like. I wanted the ability to prescribe while offering support and building rapport with patients. Getting the right medication changed my life. It's not everything but it's a powerful tool. I also have this deeply embedded capitalist idea that I must earn my worth through grueling hours of study and residency. I wanted to prove myself by going to medical school. Although it's not ideal, I knew I would never be satisfied if I didn't try to do what I perceived as the toughest, though achieving any advanced degree is challenging in its own way. I also chose medicine for job security. I believe the salary is excessive but will use it to repay my loans then hopefully invest in the community or, ideally, start my own community-focused practice. Have you had the opportunity to speak with any practicing psychiatrists or PsyDs?

I've responded to one of your other posts. I was also split between medical school and something more mental health or public health related. Ultimately I pursued medical school because I've experienced first-hand how difficult it is to find a psychiatrist, let alone one you like. I wanted the ability to prescribe while offering support and building rapport with patients. Getting the right medication changed my life. It's not everything but it's a powerful tool. I also have this deeply embedded capitalist idea that I must earn my worth through grueling hours of study and residency. I wanted to prove myself by going to medical school. Although it's not ideal, I knew I would never be satisfied if I didn't try to do what I perceived as the toughest, though achieving any advanced degree is challenging in its own way. I also chose medicine for job security. I believe the salary is excessive but will use it to repay my loans then hopefully invest in the community or, ideally, start my own community-focused practice. Have you had the opportunity to speak with any practicing psychiatrists or PsyDs?

that’s the way I view medicine.. it’s more powerful than some think. I would like the ability to do both.. and yes, I’ve spoken to PsyDs and psychiatrists.. I personally see myself in a private practice one day doing both, and I also feel like if I settle I won’t feel satisfied.. I just don’t know what to do, and it’s very frustrating.. sounds like you were in the same boat as me at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you felt strongly about psychiatry, do you think Med school is worth the go?

No. You might engage with the patient population in 3rd year clinical rotations and completely change your mind. There is a psychiatrist on this forum who says he has a bite mark scar.

AFAIK psychiatrists aren't trained nearly as well on therapy.

One thing to note if you pursue the doctorate degree is weigh the pros/cons of the phD and psD.

Despite what you may hear, you can see patients as a phD and are not restricted to research. phDs are very hard to get into (like 5 seats at most per class) but are fully funded

psyD aim for clinical practice. They are easier to get into but usually are not funded.

(I work with a bunch of folks aiming to do grad school for psych so this is usually the chit chat I overhear)