Position Wanted Psychiatry PGY-1 or PGY-2 position in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadtripper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. After completing my Intern year in Internal Medicine, I am looking to transfer into a Psychiatry residency program in the NYC area. I completed the Intern year in good standing and don't have any "black marks" on my record. I also completed USMLE Step 3 (and passed all prior steps) on 1st attempt. I'm a US citizen but am an IMG (Israel). I am currently doing psychiatry research while seeking placement. Looking for an off-cycle position that will start as soon as possible. I could qualify for a PGY-2 spot but am willing to go back in for a PGY-1 off-cycle spot if it is available. If you have any availability please let me know. Also, if there is a good way of finding these positions, I am interested in finding such a resource. I'm open to any/all advice. All I know of for now is trying to individually get in touch with Program directors/coordinators, but that seems inefficient and I'm afraid of being a nuisance. I'm concurrently applying through ERAS, but STRONGLY hope that I can find an open position beforehand..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you should try looking at aadprt.org
Go to Students & Residents -> Residency openings -> APA

Yuliak1313 -- Thank you for the resource. The direct link is: http://apps.psychiatry.org/clearinghouse/
I've been checking it frequently but it has not yet updates past the July 1, 2015 openings.
Oh, sorry that wasn't too helpful. I mean, it probably makes most sense to just call all the program coordinators (28 programs, right?), express your interest, send your cv/cover letter etc - you just never know...Things happen, and there might be an unfilled position to appear any time. So it seems to be a fair idea to put your foot in the door and see what happens.
And don't be afraid of being a nuisance. If people are rude/mean/unpleasant - that's probably not a program you want to be in anyway.

Have you checked the residency swap btw?