Psychiatry question: What to use to study for Theories of Personality and Development

jay426k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
I've encountered a section in pre-test that covers, piaget, mahler, freud, etc. and their theories of development. This does not seem to be covered in 1st Aid. I was just curious whether or not this is something I should study and if so what would be the best source to cover these? Thanks in advance!! :)

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
jay426k said:
I've encountered a section in pre-test that covers, piaget, mahler, freud, etc. and their theories of development. This does not seem to be covered in 1st Aid. I was just curious whether or not this is something I should study and if so what would be the best source to cover these? Thanks in advance!! :)

i didnt have any question on them on my shelf

Shane2150

Junior Mint
10+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I took my Psychiatry shelf August 2005--there were perhaps 1-2 questions (out of 100) on developmental theories on my exam. I had used BRS to study, which has a brief chapter on developmental stages. I'm not sure that this is a very high yield area, but if you have time, it wouldn't hurt to review the major theories (Piaget, Freud, Erikson, and maybe Klein and Mahler).

Hope this helps a little

N

njbmd

jay426k said:

Hi there,
The Psychiatry shelf is one of the easiest shelf exams. I studied my notes from clinical lectures and read through BRS once with even that much study being overkill. This exam is very straightforward. I do not remember a single question on theories of development but check out a copy of Appleton and Lange's Psychiatry if you must read this stuff in more detail. Anything more than that is a waste of resources if all you are doing is studying for the shelf exam.

njbmd :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.