Psychiatry question: What to use to study for Theories of Personality and Development

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jay426k

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've encountered a section in pre-test that covers, piaget, mahler, freud, etc. and their theories of development. This does not seem to be covered in 1st Aid. I was just curious whether or not this is something I should study and if so what would be the best source to cover these? Thanks in advance!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

jay426k said:
I've encountered a section in pre-test that covers, piaget, mahler, freud, etc. and their theories of development. This does not seem to be covered in 1st Aid. I was just curious whether or not this is something I should study and if so what would be the best source to cover these? Thanks in advance!! :)

i didnt have any question on them on my shelf

I took my Psychiatry shelf August 2005--there were perhaps 1-2 questions (out of 100) on developmental theories on my exam. I had used BRS to study, which has a brief chapter on developmental stages. I'm not sure that this is a very high yield area, but if you have time, it wouldn't hurt to review the major theories (Piaget, Freud, Erikson, and maybe Klein and Mahler).

Hope this helps a little

jay426k said:

Hi there,
The Psychiatry shelf is one of the easiest shelf exams. I studied my notes from clinical lectures and read through BRS once with even that much study being overkill. This exam is very straightforward. I do not remember a single question on theories of development but check out a copy of Appleton and Lange's Psychiatry if you must read this stuff in more detail. Anything more than that is a waste of resources if all you are doing is studying for the shelf exam.

njbmd :)