ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys, I've had a series of unfortunate events and this was topped by me getting psychiatry as my research topic, and we can't change. I need to come up with a topic and do it while studying for my clinicals, the project should last for a year.

I've done poring over the internet, and I've found some topics, but I'm afraid that they have been overdone, for eg. mental health of immigrants.

So, do you guys have any suggestions on a research topic based on psychiatry?

Thanks!

OP
ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]

kcrd

Playing doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
C'mon now. First you are too lazy to come up with your own topic, and now you are too lazy to look up what ECT means? Just google "ect psychiatry" and you'll get your answer.

doc05

2K Member
15+ Year Member
May 24, 2003
U.S.A.
Visit site
Status
it is not a good idea to spend a year doing research in a field that you're not interested in. whose stupid idea was it for you to do psych research??

Molecule

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2005
Status
How about TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation)? I know it sounds hokey, but it's actually being researched at multiple centers, right now, as a possible modality to replace ECT.

On one of my Psych Residency interviews, a faculty member demonstrated to me how these magnetic paddles generate electrical currents in target tissues--I pushed the button on his device and got his ulnar nerve to fire.

(Normally, though, it's the frontal lobes you aim for in treatment of depression with TMS...)

OP
ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I doubt we have the equipment here :oops:

C'mon now. First you are too lazy to come up with your own topic, and now you are too lazy to look up what ECT means? Just google "ect psychiatry" and you'll get your answer.
I thought that was a typo

BUt anyway, I've got something ready..and it's not bad :cool:

OP
ericdamiansean

ericdamiansean

High Profiler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2003
Status
Resident [Any Field]
doc05 said:
it is not a good idea to spend a year doing research in a field that you're not interested in. whose stupid idea was it for you to do psych research??
The university allocated the main topics, perhaps it was to deter a sudden influx of medicine/surgery research topics as you can practically do tons of research for these 2 specialties