Psychiatry residency and master in psychology, please..help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babyshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a FMG and interested in Psychiatry residency in US. I am in US and after failure to enter in Psych residency thinking to do masters in clinical psychology. Please any one give me advise it will help me to get into psych residency program. I have cleared my all steps including step 3.

Members don't see this ad.

I masters in clinical psychology would not do anything for you.

Actually I work/volunteer with someone in pretty much the same boat as you. The lady I know though really doesn't like the counseling, talking, teaching aspects of psychology, so if you don't either, you likely wouldn't even like a Masters in Psych program.

I believe she's looking at PA school, or a research based medical PhD, or slightly considering a Clinical Psych PhD program with the Pharmacology Post Doc, like in Louisana.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually I work/volunteer with someone in pretty much the same boat as you. The lady I know though really doesn't like the counseling, talking, teaching aspects of psychology, so if you don't either, you likely wouldn't even like a Masters in Psych program.

I believe she's looking at PA school, or a research based medical PhD, or slightly considering a Clinical Psych PhD program with the Pharmacology Post Doc, like in Louisana.

That will take ~10 years to do, clinical ph.d. programs are incredibly hard to get into, all so that she can be very limited in where she can practice. This is coming from someone who has taken the path (though not to prescribe), and it is definitely not worth the time if you are looking to prescribe.

Agreed, that's why I said "slightly" I pretty much put them in the order she's thinking. It's longer than 10 years when you consider she already has been to med school, and at this stage in her life she's never had a "real job."

Makes me feel a bit better as I still flounder my way through and likely looking at a PhD myself, at least I won't be the only person who ended up in school way too long.:oops:

But to the OP there are several FMGs in PA school, and after PA school you could work in psychiatric.

Hi,

I am a FMG and interested in Psychiatry residency in US. I am in US and after failure to enter in Psych residency thinking to do masters in clinical psychology. Please any one give me advise it will help me to get into psych residency program. I have cleared my all steps including step 3.
Will you be ok making $50,000/yr or $180,000/yr ?

Last edited: