Psychiatry residency in England for Easter Europeans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gerchyvased

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions for residency in the U.K.I'm in my intern year of med school in Bulgaria and we have state exams.Does that count as equal to foundation 1 or not ? If not- what does foundation 1 and 2 mean.What specialties does it cover.If I want psychiatry do I start directly working in a psych ward or do I have to go through all the other specialties (internal medicine,surgery OB etc.) for 2 years and then begin residency in Psychiatry.I'll be happy if someone can answer my questions.Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Намерих това в един сайт
How to become a psychiatrist
  1. Medical degree (usually 5 years): All psychiatrists are qualified doctors, so first you must gain a place at a medical school. Medical school provides students with exposure to the different specialties within medicine. You will find general information and advice on becoming a doctor, as well as a list of medical schools, on the British Medical Association website.
  2. Foundation training (2 years): After medical school you will spend 2 years working in a hospital as a ‘foundation programme trainee.’ This will extend the knowledge and skills you have gained as a medical student.
  3. Specialty training (usually 6 years): On completion of your foundation programme you will undertake six years of specialty training; three year core training programme (CT1-CT3) and three years in a higher training programme (ST4-ST6):
    • During core training, trainees gain experience in the different areas of psychiatric practice through four to six month training posts.

I know this is late but if you want an answer here you go.

You need to contact the general medical council about getting your license following your intern year in Bulgaria and this is usually seen as equivalent to your FY1. So you will be eligible for full registeration in the UK. You then need to find a LAS (Locum appointment for service) FY2 job maybe aiming for it to have a 4 month Psych rotation (search NHS Jobs). You might also be accepted into a Psych CT1 LAS as there are a lot of gaps. To be honest the important thing is to get a job and do a year so that you can get a certificate which is equivalent to finishing foundation programme so that then you can apply for specialty training.

Psychiatry training is not competitive even if you have never worked in Psychiatry before, unless you want London then that is reasonably competitive.

DM me if you need more info