Psychiatry residency match as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BroseidonKingOfBrocean

Aspiring adult film star. Learning to play Doctor.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
All I've ever wanted to be is a psychiatrist and I start up at LECOM-Bradenton this Fall. All I know about LECOM-B is it's board scores are generally very high on average and it's almost entirely PBL based. Provided I do moderately well at PBL and on the boards, is placing into Psych not all that difficult/competitive?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you don't do all that well, Psych is about as easy a match as there is.

Reactions: 9 users
Provided I do moderately well at PBL and on the boards, is placing into Psych not all that difficult/competitive?
You should be fine, assuming you aren't thinking of an Ivy League or California for your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's as easy as people think since there's aren't that many AOA psych programs and positions compared to AOA IM and Family Medicine programs...I would guess it's as competitive as AOA Peds or OBGYN programs or I might be wrong if anyone wants to clarify?

Reactions: 1 user
All I've ever wanted to be is a psychiatrist and I start up at LECOM-Bradenton this Fall. All I know about LECOM-B is it's board scores are generally very high on average and it's almost entirely PBL based. Provided I do moderately well at PBL and on the boards, is placing into Psych not all that difficult/competitive?

Thanks guys.

If you do moderately well, on the boards Psych MD (minus cali/ivy unless you do auditions at certain programs) is the way you want to go. If you don't do as well, Psych MD in the midwest is the way you want to go. If you do horrible Psych, AOA is the way to go.

Thanks guys.
Psych is a fairly easy match, so set your sights high. Aim for an institution that cranks out successful Psychiatrists. I'm a LECOM-Seton Hill 3rd year, I too have been looking into psych, residency everywhere is pretty chill, however, the most troubling issue I've gathered from my research is that finding a good paying job in the real world can be a bit daunting so it helps to have a good residency program in your resume.

Psych is a fairly easy match, so set your sights high. Aim for an institution that cranks out successful Psychiatrists. I'm a LECOM-Seton Hill 3rd year, I too have been looking into psych, residency everywhere is pretty chill, however, the most troubling issue I've gathered from my research is that finding a good paying job in the real world can be a bit daunting so it helps to have a good residency program in your resume.

Why is a good-paying job hard to find? They still make 150,000-200,000? That's not bad compared to family med doctors?

I will have to find the source when I have more time, from what Ive read its a bit more of a struggle to find that "average" 180-200k that's quoted.

Why is a good-paying job hard to find? They still make 150,000-200,000? That's not bad compared to family med doctors?

That's about on par with Family Med doctors from what I'm seeing, Family Med can make more too, if the doc has certain skills to offer such as advanced OB, or a lot of Sports Medicine procedures.

Yeah...whole 'lotta incorrect info here. There are plenty of studies that show Psych makes quite a bit more than most FM residencies when broken down to hours worked. Again Psych and FM are comparable to get into residency if you're going the MD route, FM is easier if you're going the AOA route.
As far as finding work, Psychiatry is one of the more needed specialties currently, especially if you do Child Psych.

I'd be interesting in seeing where you're getting your info from as well.

That's about on par with Family Med doctors from what I'm seeing, Family Med can make more too, if the doc has certain skills to offer such as advanced OB, or a lot of Sports Medicine procedures.

And Psych can make quite a bit more if you take on Suboxone patient's, do prison work, or if you're happy having an FM schedule of seeing one patient every 15 minutes.

I apologize if my comment wasn't accurate, Psych is what you make it. I've read a few disheartening blogs about psych residency lately. I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone away from psych, I'm still considering it myself.

And Psych can make quite a bit more if you take on Suboxone patient's, do prison work...

Yes, true. And all things that FM guys can do as well. But hey, this shouldn't be a pissing match, we're all here to do a slightly different job. If my post read as looking down on psychiatrists, it was not intended that way.

Yes, true. And all things that FM guys can do as well. But hey, this shouldn't be a pissing match, we're all here to do a slightly different job. If my post read as looking down on psychiatrists, it was not intended that way.
Nah, the thread just seemed to be heading down that path.

It's no secret Psych is an easy match, as is FM. If you're business minded you can make much more than the 150-200k avg in either specialty.

Is matching Psych in CA as a DO really that difficult?

I don't think it's as easy as people think since there's aren't that many AOA psych programs and positions compared to AOA IM and Family Medicine programs...I would guess it's as competitive as AOA Peds or OBGYN programs or I might be wrong if anyone wants to clarify?

AOA psych programs should generally be avoided. There are plenty of excellent ACGME programs that are very welcoming to DOs.

Is matching Psych in CA as a DO really that difficult?
It depends.
You need STRONG ties to the state Or do an away rotation
Or settle for a lesser quality residency than you would have to if you went out of the state.

It depends.
You need STRONG ties to the state Or do an away rotation
Or settle for a lesser quality residency than you would have to if you went out of the state.
I would be going to DO school in CA and all the rotations are here. Thanks!

If you're aiming ucsf do a rotation in fourth year...if you want ucsd hit the research...if you want UCLA do both...if you want Davis well you're SOL with the letters DO after your name.

Reactions: 1 users

Assuming you do average in school, you should have a shot at all the less competitive places:

Loma Linda
USC
Kaweah Delta
UCLA Kern
Kaiser Southern California

Others are a little harder to land as a DO student.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah...whole 'lotta incorrect info here. There are plenty of studies that show Psych makes quite a bit more than most FM residencies when broken down to hours worked. Again Psych and FM are comparable to get into residency if you're going the MD route, FM is easier if you're going the AOA route.
As far as finding work, Psychiatry is one of the more needed specialties currently, especially if you do Child Psych.

I'd be interesting in seeing where you're getting your info from as well.

And Psych can make quite a bit more if you take on Suboxone patient's, do prison work, or if you're happy having an FM schedule of seeing one patient every 15 minutes.

Psych income is a function of what kind of work and how much you do + who you cator to. There are lots of half-retried psychiatrist I know making ~120-150k, on the contrary one of the head LLU psych faculty makes over 1 million a year treating depression. I have met plenty of established psychiatrist that net in the 300-400k range doing addiction medicine or prison/forensic work. In contrast to many other specialties, California is an excellent market to set down roots. And contrary to other high paying specialties, psych pay is slated to go up as # of practicing psychiatrists goes down.

Assuming you do average in school, you should have a shot at all the less competitive places:

Loma Linda
USC
Kaweah Delta
UCLA Kern
Kaiser Southern California

Others are a little harder to land as a DO student.
There are quite a few WesternU/COMP grads at Loma Linda's Psychiatry residency program. It is DO-friendly.