Psychiatry Residency: Yale vs. University of Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so torn between the two programs- as to which one to rank higher? I've had a few friends tell me that Yale would be better because of it's name. From your experience, how much of a difference does it make which residency program you graduate from for getting a job post residency? I would love to hear impressions and experiences that folks have had from each program... I've given this alot of thought and am still stuck and hence, would truly appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so torn between the two programs- as to which one to rank higher? I've had a few friends tell me that Yale would be better because of it's name. From your experience, how much of a difference does it make which residency program you graduate from for getting a job post residency? I would love to hear impressions and experiences that folks have had from each program... I've given this alot of thought and am still stuck and hence, would truly appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance!

1--you will have NO trouble getting a job in clinical psychiatry.

2--either program is sufficiently well regarded such that you would have no difficulties obtaining a fellowship or starting an academic career, should you so desire.

therefore, there is but one question:
3--do you want to spend the next 4 years or so in the NW or the NE?

Reactions: 5 users

2--either program is sufficiently well regarded such that you would have no difficulties obtaining a fellowship or starting an academic career, should you so desire.

Damn, so simple, yet so wise....I think this advice makes it clearer for a lot of us...:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I - and others - posted reviews about both programs in the interviews thread, if you're interested. Also, it would help if you posted your thoughts about these programs (and what you're looking for)...

What STEP 1 score would make one competitive for Wash U?

There are graduates of both programs on this site who will probably chime in at some point, but yes both are highly competitive/have great residents/rock star faculty. If you want a research career most people would say Yale simply because they have produced more department chairs and national figures than any other program (John Krystal, Dennis Charney, Eric Nestler, Chris McDougle, Wayne Goodman, Mark Gold... the list goes on.) BUT you really won't lose anything if you pick UW. Some people on the west coast might even say that UW is better

Agree with OPD- the real question is do you want to live in CT and get taxed like crazy because all of the super rich people have their assets in things that aren't taxed/hire accounts to find obscure loopholes hence the current budget crisis... or do you want to live in Seattle- where you have the largest influx of people in the country driving up real estate prices and a minimum wage law that has basically made the hole in the wall type restaurants and small businesses defunct. (in reality both places are great, what I just said notwithstanding)

What STEP 1 score would make one competitive for Wash U?

The original poster was asking about University of Washington in Seattle, not Wash U

There are graduates of both programs on this site who will probably chime in at some point, but yes both are highly competitive/have great residents/rock star faculty. If you want a research career most people would say Yale simply because they have produced more department chairs and national figures than any other program (John Krystal, Dennis Charney, Eric Nestler, Chris McDougle, Wayne Goodman, Mark Gold... the list goes on.) BUT you really won't lose anything if you pick UW. Some people on the west coast might even say that UW is better

Agree with OPD- the real question is do you want to live in CT and get taxed like crazy because all of the super rich people have their assets in things that aren't taxed/hire accounts to find obscure loopholes hence the current budget crisis... or do you want to live in Seattle- where you have the largest influx of people in the country driving up real estate prices and a minimum wage law that has basically made the hole in the wall type restaurants and small businesses defunct. (in reality both places are great, what I just said notwithstanding)

The original poster was asking about University of Washington in Seattle, not Wash U

My mentors advised me to look at the SE for these reasons, and to check out rock star psychiatry programs like Emory. Duke has also produced some known names in psych. But IMO ATL > Durham.

From what I know about the main psychiatry residencies, Yale is a top residency in the country, definitely in the top 5 according to many people at my institution.

UW is a great program, but it doesn't compare in terms of name recognition with Yale. This is probably more important if you are hoping to go into academics and research, if you go straight into private practice nobody but your mom will care you went to Yale. Weather is a lot nicer in Seattle if you don't mind cloudy days.

Reactions: 1 user