Psychiatry rotation last

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tatabox80

Super-Duper Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Question, I have always had an interest in psychiatry, but I have my psych rotation last during my 3rd year, and it doesn't end until mid august. If I decide that I want to go into psych at that time, would that put me in a tough predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

tatabox80 said:
Hi guys,
Question, I have always had an interest in psychiatry, but I have my psych rotation last during my 3rd year, and it doesn't end until mid august. If I decide that I want to go into psych at that time, would that put me in a tough predicament?
I had no interest in psychiatry and had my psych rotation last (July-August), and that's when I decided on psych. I don't feel like I've been put at any disadvantage.

-AT.

For all of the stressing we do about scheduling our third year, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure that you schedule the beginning of your 4th year so that you'll have letters from at least two psych and one non-psych attending, some of whom can be from your third year clerkships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hurricane said:
For all of the stressing we do about scheduling our third year, it really doesn't matter. Just make sure that you schedule the beginning of your 4th year so that you'll have letters from at least two psych and one non-psych attending, some of whom can be from your third year clerkships.

My psych rotation was last as well, and it made me decide to pursue a research year between 3rd/4th year so I definitely think it was advantageous for me! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine! :)

i too had my psych rotation last in the lineup. if anything, having it last helped. i had the other specialties down, finally figured out all the subtle nuances of the hospital system, and thus felt like i got more out of it than i would have were i to have done psych earlier in the year. i also sneakily scheduled my psych sub-i right after my ms 3 clerkship. this allowed me to be around the attendings for an ungodly number of weeks consecutively, letting them become very familiar with me, which is always a good thing.

also, hurricane, i didn't know we had to get two psychs to write lors. i had my psych sub-i preceptor, a fp preceptor, and the chair of ob/gyn at a community hospital write me my letters.

MDgonnabe said:
i too had my psych rotation last in the lineup. if anything, having it last helped. i had the other specialties down, finally figured out all the subtle nuances of the hospital system, and thus felt like i got more out of it than i would have were i to have done psych earlier in the year. i also sneakily scheduled my psych sub-i right after my ms 3 clerkship. this allowed me to be around the attendings for an ungodly number of weeks consecutively, letting them become very familiar with me, which is always a good thing.

also, hurricane, i didn't know we had to get two psychs to write lors. i had my psych sub-i preceptor, a fp preceptor, and the chair of ob/gyn at a community hospital write me my letters.
Some institutions require 2 psych letters. Right now I'm forgetting which programs specifically, but I do remember that UCSF and Cambridge Hospital both wanted 2 psych letters. (Cambridge Hospital also specified they want 1 of your 4 letters to be from medicine.) That's certainly something to keep in mind when you start your rotation.

UNC, by the way, gets the prize for wanting the most documentation -- not only did they want a letter from the psych chair, they also wanted 2 other letters ("preferably psychiatrists") as well as copies of all of your publications.

-AT.

MDgonnabe said:

I guess it depends on where you're applying. At least one program (I don't remember which - I think UCSF) wanted 2 psych letters. So I had 2 psych, one from my 3rd year IM preceptor, and one from my PhD advisor.

But FWIW, another program wanted a chairman's letter, but I didn't get one, and I still got an interview. What's the point of a chairman's letter anyway? Why would someone want to read a letter written by someone who doesn't know you and hasn't worked with you? (I guess the dean's letter is like that, but 90% of it is cut and pasted evaluations from people who did work with you, so that's different...)

Hurricane said:
But FWIW, another program wanted a chairman's letter, but I didn't get one, and I still got an interview. What's the point of a chairman's letter anyway? Why would someone want to read a letter written by someone who doesn't know you and hasn't worked with you? (I guess the dean's letter is like that, but 90% of it is cut and pasted evaluations from people who did work with you, so that's different...)

you and atsai must be siamese twins joined at the mind.

it seems like a lot of things on program web sites are relative. uva specifically states that you can't have failed step 1 the first time around. well, i failed it the first time around, and i still got an interview there pretty quickly. go fig. and now i've decided to cancel it just because i need to live in a bigger city or perish trying.

I agree with the above posters. Having psych last in 3rd year does not seem to be a disadvantage, as long as you schedule your additional psych sub-I or other psych rotation (especially an away rotation if you want to do one) earlier in your fourth year - before Oct if you want another rec letter.