Psychiatry Salary Discrepancies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i seem to be hearing contradicting information regarding the salaries of psychatrists. most salary surveys rank psychiatry as one of the lower paying specialities. however, most people within psych say that if u have smart business sense, u can make some serious bank. in this forum, someone mentioned that forensic psychiatrists can make $300,000+. another post mentioned that one can make $150/hr in psych. if this 2 quoted figures are accurate, then why do these surveys have psych so low on the pay scale? where does the truth lie?

Members don't see this ad.

It is generally a bad idea to choose a specialty based on salary. If you want the big bucks go into ortho, ENT, opthamology etc. Who really knows what the maximum salary is for a psychiatrist? I am certain that there are psychiatrists in the field who have earned millions. I know of one physician that owns a group practice that contracts with several hospitals in Southern California, is a guest lecturer for pharmaceutical companies, provides expert witness testimony and has a boutique private practice. I am sure he is doing very well. If you want to get an idea about the job market go to the Psychiatric Times classifieds at the following address. Many of the ads post salary information:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/classified/index.html

Yes, this subject sounds interesting, indeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not in med school but psychiatry has always seemd kinda ooky and really cool. I think it's very unique and it appears you can conneect with patients on a deeper level. I live in Canada so I probably won't make big bucks compared to other docs but it won't matter if I enjoy it. Besides, I'm content with $60-$70 thousand a year anyway. On the matter of salary, it will all depend on where your practice is, the nature of your practice and how good you are. If it really interests you then I'm sure you can make some money on the side by lecturing and writing afew books. ;) Good Luck ! Do what floats yer boat !

I'm a fourth year med student who is going into Psych. As a third year I was frustrated when, after I told people that I was going into Psych, they would promptly reply, "You know they don't make any money don't you?". Discouraged, I began to research the topic myself. Here in Arizona, I would say that the average salary out of residency is between $150-180K for full time Psychiatrists. I know a Phoenix psychiatrist who has just accepted two partime positions at $90K each. These salaries are higher or comparable to most of the FPs and Gen Medicine docs that I know. I know of two private practice Psych docs who make over $250K. Of note, they are both Child Psych docs. Hope this helps. Also, you can always go to salary.com to find average salaries. :;)

medcat3, i also hear that child pychiatry is where the money is at in the field of psychiatry. i hear there is a decent demand for them.

However, I am curious as to what child psych encompasses....

ADHD can be treated by medication but how about moderate mental ******ation, tourette's, PTSD (due to incestual relationship or child molestation), conduct disorder, etc. etc. It sounds pretty rough to me!

Yep...Child Psych is where the money is at. I don't know if you guys know but US News and World report ran a great article on the shortage of Child Psychiatrists in the U.S. about 5 or 6 months ago (maybe shorter). Definitely check the article out because the shortage is severe!!! Child Psych is a 1-2 year fellowship after your 4 years of Psychiatry residency. That extra year of training can mean a tremendous difference in earning potential!!!

I did a 4th year elective with a private practice Child Psychiatrist. Because there is such demand he basically charged what he wanted to. He did not deal with insurance companies and patients had to pay in cash, check, or credit card before the left after each visit. Any issues with insurance were between the patient's parents and the insurance company. As you can imagine his patients (and their parents) were all well off. Most of his practice involved ADHD (school age boys and young men), Depression (especially in teenage girls), and Eating disorders (again teenage girls and teenage gay males). This made up the bulk of my experience. That being said, I did see other disorders like Cri du Chat Syndrome , Tourettes, Mental ******ation (MR), Autism, and Sleep Disorders (mostly parasomnias like sleepwalking and bedwetting). I saw one girl with Schizophrenia. Overall, I felt that it was a very good experience but the sense of entitlement that wealthy patients have was a turn off as well as the fact that kids don't or can't talk like adults. This doc had virtually no overhead...he had a receptionist at the front desk who made appointments and pulled files. In his office, he had really expense furniture and a scale to measure the height and weight of the ADHD kids on stimulants (the stimulants can ****** growth and decrease appetite). He saw on average 8 patients a day (4 in the AM/4 in the PM) and I suspect he was making between $250-300K/year.

"the sense of entitlement that wealthy patients have was a turn off "

can u explain this further?

Also, are there specific traits or characteristics that makes a doctor good in this field? or does it take hard work and research like the other fields??

thanx

What I meant by "sense of entitlement" was that I felt that alot of times the wealthier patients were insistant upon which meds they should be taking, etc. For example, the physician may say that a certain "new" med either is not indicated for their specific condition or is only available in Europe. However, the patient wants to try these meds anyway because they "deserve only the best". The doctor is in somewhat of a bind b/c he/she does not want to lose a patient that can actually pay for their healthcare. In other words, these people ( in general) are used to getting their way in life and this doesn't stop when it comes to their healthcare. However, don't get me wrong. Anyone who has worked at a county clinic of free clinic knows that poor people can be just as obnoxious and demanding ....I just think that the prevalence (hey, I'm actually using biostatistics!) is higher in wealthier populations.

As far as hard work. YES!!! you have to work hard as a Psychiatrist...or any physician for that matter. You owe it to your patients. Psychiatry can be EXTREMELY exhausting especially emotionally. My friend was trying to decide between Psychiatry and Neuro and ultimately chose Neuro because he didn't know if he could take a lifetime of emotional exhaustion (wimp!) I chose Psych because I am a student of human behavior. ..I love people (well, some of them). My philosophy has always been you get out of life what you put into it. I think that the general public has this notion that Psychiatrists just sit down and talk to patients all day. WRONG. I think that we sit down just as much as FPs, and IM docs at work.:D Running a Psych ward is demanding as the psychiatrist usually plays both an adminstrative role (hey, they run the ward, make sure staff gets along, paperwork, meetings , hirings/firing, etc.) and a physicain role to the patients. Outpatient Psych usually involves med management, lab checks, and brief psychotherapeutic interventions as most outpatient vists are 30-45m. long. Typical private practice hours are 8a or 9a-4p or 5p.

Psychiatric research is HUGE. The residency that I applied to and hope to attend (Match Day is almost here!!!) is HEAVY in research especially childrens mental health and Psychopharmacology. So, you can do research...I just have no desire to do it. I would much rather spend my days working in the clinics and on the wards. However, many of my attendings do both research and have a steady group of outpatients they see 3 days a week.

Psychiatry is a great field that many med students simply do not know about (or choose not to know about).

If you do not go in Psychiatrist due to low pay out you are really making a mistake. I have been a PSychiatrist for last 22 years, worked in different settings and done private practice. I feel that Psychiatrist in Private practice can enjoy good lifestyle and very good money. you can also have lot of freedom to do verity of things. I know many Private psychiatrist take home 500K/ year

Most of the salary surveys quote 180-210k-ish for psych. That being said, I think that, on average, psychiatrists tend to work shorter weeks than some specialities. I've met a couple psych docs who make the averages working ~30h/wk. Orthos average might be twice the salary, but it's twice the hours too. At this point in the healthcare changes, I'd go into medicine expecting every field to make 200k by the time you're done. Then pick what you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's going to be variability between regions. Some psychiatrists are in areas where there is no shortage such as NYC or Washington DC. Most are not. Some practices vary in what they bring in depending on whether or not they charge out of pocket vs. insurance.

I'm doing private practice now and raking in good money in addition to working for the state and that job nets in mediocre pay but terrific benefits, less hassle, and very good forensic psychiatry experience (e.g. I've testified hundreds of times in court, done hundreds of future violence assessments, etc).

I can see myself netting over 400K/year if I made a private practice on my own instead of working in someone else's practice. I am mulling the idea, but I'd have to leave the state job, turn down a few job offers that are very interesting (a chance to work in an academic setting with some of the world's best psychiatrists), among a few others.

If I do the private practice option, I'm locked into that and I won't be able to get out of it. You do that, you got to put it all in. All chips on the table because you're setting it all up, it's your business, and a lot of people are relying on you. If I took up the academic position, I don't have to worry about a lot of things a business owner has to worry about.

About forensic psychiatry, I wouldn't go into it for the money. A lot of forensic psychiatrists don't make much more money than general psychiatrists if any more at all. I know a lot of forensic psychiatrists that only work in clinical practice and do no forensic work other than what's expected of a clinical psychiatrist (E.g. an involuntary commitment). Another thing is I've noticed the ones making big money are more along the lines of lawyers in how they work. They might get a big case dropped in their laps and they have to work 80 hrs a week for a month, while they drive several hours a day, wait in a prison for 2 hrs to see the person for evaluation, then have to deal with lawyers etc. That lifestyle can be taxing.

A buddy of mine did an evaluation on someone a few states away, he had to fly to the state, live in a hotel for a few days, and then evaluate the person. He felt more like a salesman because of that lifestyle.

And just like a lawyer, you have to deal with some annoying types. Some forensic psychiatrists are less than intellectually honest and are highly influenced by their clients-lawyers willing to pay top dollar for a psychiatrist willing to say anything to defend their client. If I were willing to ***** myself, I sure as heck would've already done so with a bunch of drug reps and giving patients any benzo they wanted before I was willing to work my tail off to be a forensic psychiatrist.

Last edited:
It is generally a bad idea to choose a specialty based on salary. If you want the big bucks go into ortho, ENT, opthamology etc. Who really knows what the maximum salary is for a psychiatrist? I am certain that there are psychiatrists in the field who have earned millions. I know of one physician that owns a group practice that contracts with several hospitals in Southern California, is a guest lecturer for pharmaceutical companies, provides expert witness testimony and has a boutique private practice. I am sure he is doing very well. If you want to get an idea about the job market go to the Psychiatric Times classifieds at the following address. Many of the ads post salary information:

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/classified/index.html

These classifieds don't seem to post salaries, at least not in the 4 states I just checked (of course Oregon didn't have any listings at all so maybe I shouldn't count it).

Most of the salary surveys quote 180-210k-ish for psych. That being said, I think that, on average, psychiatrists tend to work shorter weeks than some specialities. I've met a couple psych docs who make the averages working ~30h/wk. Orthos average might be twice the salary, but it's twice the hours too. At this point in the healthcare changes, I'd go into medicine expecting every field to make 200k by the time you're done. Then pick what you like.

Am I the only one who thinks that would be awesome? Probably would make choosing a specialty a heck of a lot easier if money was out of the equation

Am I the only one who thinks that would be awesome? Probably would make choosing a specialty a heck of a lot easier if money was out of the equation

If such a thing were to happen, I imagine there would be a major shift with respect to which specialties are considered the most competitive (most likely to be those with the shortest residency, least stressful work environment, and/or best lifestyle). Those who put in more time training with lengthier residencies or fellowships probably deserve to be paid more, and obviously, the more hours someone works the more they should be paid. It would be nice to see students choose specialties they are truly interested in rather than those that pay the best.

If such a thing were to happen, I imagine there would be a major shift with respect to which specialties are considered the most competitive (most likely to be those with the shortest residency, least stressful work environment, and/or best lifestyle). Those who put in more time training with lengthier residencies or fellowships probably deserve to be paid more, and obviously, the more hours someone works the more they should be paid. It would be nice to see students choose specialties they are truly interested in rather than those that pay the best.

I also would like to know what the real salary range is for psychiatrists.

I'm looking to go into private practice cash-only. It is not atypical to see billing rates between 150-200 /hr, which at 40hr/week comes to 400k/year revenue.

take out things like rent (which is pretty much the only real overhead for a cash only clinic), you're still making 300-380k/yr.

I think the figures of psychiatrists making an average of 180/yr is completely out of date, and there are probably a lot of old-school psychiatrists who are working in hospitals, and from what I hear, hospital work is definitely in the 180-200k/yr range.

as for private practice, even if you don't own your own place, I hardly hear of any year 1 psychiatrists making less than 200 on a 40 hour week.

My perspective is skewed from the fact that I live in the Southeast but the only psychiatrists I see that can run cash-only are child and pure psychoanalytic.

You can take most major insurances and still do quite well in private practice.

I also would like to know what the real salary range is for psychiatrists.

I'm looking to go into private practice cash-only. It is not atypical to see billing rates between 150-200 /hr, which at 40hr/week comes to 400k/year revenue.

take out things like rent (which is pretty much the only real overhead for a cash only clinic), you're still making 300-380k/yr.

I think the figures of psychiatrists making an average of 180/yr is completely out of date, and there are probably a lot of old-school psychiatrists who are working in hospitals, and from what I hear, hospital work is definitely in the 180-200k/yr range.

as for private practice, even if you don't own your own place, I hardly hear of any year 1 psychiatrists making less than 200 on a 40 hour week.

It seems kind of idealistic to have a cash only clintele able to occupy your entire 40 hour/wk patient load.

It seems kind of idealistic to have a cash only clintele able to occupy your entire 40 hour/wk patient load.

It happens though, in the right area. I've met a few docs who do it and make it work...

I do cash only and have all the business I want. I typically work between 35 - 45 clinical hours/week. I see kids too.

Just for curiosity how long did it take you to build up that patient base, and at first did you take insurance and then just phase out the non-cash payers?

Just for curiosity how long did it take you to build up that patient base, and at first did you take insurance and then just phase out the non-cash payers?

It took me about 10 months to maintain a consistently full schedule. I was reliably doing about 15 hours/week almost from the get go, and the rest filled in over the remaining 9 months or so.

I have always been cash only and never dealt with insurance except to the extent that my office manager will file claims for patients with out-of-network benefits, but I do not accept assignment and the patient must pay at the time of service or at the end of the month. I have found that accepting credit cards greatly increases the number of patients who pay at the time of service.

Colleagues who take insurance are flooded with referrals and, in my area, a psychiatrist can be completely full with a waiting list within a couple of months via insurance.

It took me about 10 months to maintain a consistently full schedule. I was reliably doing about 15 hours/week almost from the get go, and the rest filled in over the remaining 9 months or so.

I have always been cash only and never dealt with insurance except to the extent that my office manager will file claims for patients with out-of-network benefits, but I do not accept assignment and the patient must pay at the time of service or at the end of the month. I have found that accepting credit cards greatly increases the number of patients who pay at the time of service.

Colleagues who take insurance are flooded with referrals and, in my area, a psychiatrist can be completely full with a waiting list within a couple of months via insurance.

Keep in mind that depending on the insurance, it can take quite some time (months) to get credentialed by that company.

I do cash only and have all the business I want. I typically work between 35 - 45 clinical hours/week. I see kids too.
What part of the country do you practice in? I've been wondering which parts of the country would be best to practice and/or which areas have the greatest demand for psychiatrists (or child psychiatrists). I haven't been certain if that should factor into my rank list and where I train.

What part of the country do you practice in? I've been wondering which parts of the country would be best to practice and/or which areas have the greatest demand for psychiatrists (or child psychiatrists). I haven't been certain if that should factor into my rank list and where I train.

I'm in the Southwest. Huge demand out here.

Do you do mostly med checks or longer psychotherapy sessions?

IF you want to build a practice, start doing hospital work and do PP on the side. As time passes, you can cut your hospital hours and increase the PP hours.

Bear in mind that you are not allowed to directly refer patients in the hospital that are your patients to your practice. I'm not kidding, it's actually written into the law and many consider it unethical. If you do a good job in the hospital, however, many doctors there will notice your work and will be glad to refer to you.

Where I do PP, my hours became completely booked up in about 4 months, and now there's patients begging to see me. The only problem is, it's not my own PP and if it were, I be raking in more money. That fact really has me thinking I ought to just get out of my current PP job and make my own instead of expanding my work there, or get out of it and pursue another area of psychiatry. It's not just about the money, it's about a few other things including some disagreements between me and the people running the practice.

IF you want to build a practice, start doing hospital work and do PP on the side. As time passes, you can cut your hospital hours and increase the PP hours.

I was wondering how do you find a full-time job that expects fulltime hours to be cool with cutting back those hours as you build your private practice. And when you are working full-time when do you see your private patients and how can you guarantee that you will definitely be available?

Also wondering if it's possible to get private malpractice and have a PA work under your liscence after pgy-1?

My intakes are 90 minutes and follow-ups are either 30 minute or 1 hour appointments. I don't do typical 10 or 15 minute med checks.

What do you charge for intakes and follow-ups? What kind of staff do you have?

$300 for intake
$180 for 1 hour
$125 for 30 minutes

I share a suite with 3 other psychologists - we each pay 1/4 of the cost for a full-time office manager/secretary and all office expenses.

That is almost exactly the setup that I'm hoping to have. =)

Hopefully psychiatry as a career will still exist 10-20 year from now...

Touché. Maybe we should change our initials to reflect that we too are Certified AND Registered. CRMD/CRDO anyone? Maybe we can add a board cert in there too: APABCCRMD. That'll show those nurses!

On a serious note: is anyone concerned about nurse encroachment on psych, or just psychologists?

$300 for intake
$180 for 1 hour
$125 for 30 minutes

I share a suite with 3 other psychologists - we each pay 1/4 of the cost for a full-time office manager/secretary and all office expenses.

Are you required to be supervised by a psychiatrist to prescribe meds?

I was wondering how do you find a full-time job that expects fulltime hours to be cool with cutting back those hours as you build your private practice. And when you are working full-time when do you see your private patients and how can you guarantee that you will definitely be available?

Some hospitals are willing to pay for part time work while offering full-time benefits. My current job with the state is, and that's a reason why I work with them despite the mediocre pay. (Among other factors such as great experience). I can cut my hours with the state job so long as I tell them about 2 months ahead of time. They never gave me an exact time period, but I know enough of the hospital operations to know 2 months would be considered kosher in terms of me still maintaining good relations with the administration.

As a physician, where I work, you can still get benefits but the less hours you work, the more the benefits come out of your pocket based on tiers. That said, I pay peanuts IMHO for my full time benefits considering that I'm not full time.

Another thing about my state job is they don't care what time I show up or leave so long as it's on weekdays, I don't show up after 10am and don't leave before 8pm. That leaves a lot of flexibility for my private practice. I could for example leave 8pm one night, then the next day leave 2:30 so I can get to my office.

In my situation, if I were to cut my state hours and expand my office hours, there would be a period of time of a few weeks where I'd probably have to work 5-10 more hours than usual or less as a result of the changes but to me that's fine. I love what I do. If I work more, great, more money. If not, that's just more time off to spend with friends and family.

Mind you that not every hospital in the area will be fine with this. Mine is. In fact if I decided to do PP all the way I'm still thinking of staying with the same hospital because I'd still get benefits as if I'm a full-time employee (pension, healthcare etc). If I did PP 100% I'd have to pay for my own healthcare and that of my wife, no pension, etc. The minimum the hospital will let me work while still getting full-time benefits is 20 hours a week. Fine by me. My plan was to get a few doctors in with me in the PP if I started my own and I know a few that'll do it. That'll more than cover the costs of me not being there all the time, I'd get the best of both worlds.

If you can't find a hospital that'll let you do this type of thing, you might be able to find locum tenens. That'll at least fill up the free time you have while your practice is building.

(Of course if I work for the University, all this is moot. They don't let you work for anyone but them, a reason why all of this is frustrating---too many options and I like all of them).

Also wondering if it's possible to get private malpractice and have a PA work under your liscence after pgy-1?
I wrote this in another thread. It's pretty much illegal (unless the laws have changed) to work while as a resident other than moonlighting, and you have to follow very specific rules with moonlighting. Some of which are 1) you have to be covered by the hospital, 2) you have to have a license to practice, 3) you have to be at least PGY 3 or 4 depending on your state laws.

Even if you could do PP as a resident, trust me, you don't want to do this, and if I were a PD and a resident wanted to do it, I'd strongly discourage them, even consider cutting them from the program. Starting a PP could cost tens of thousands of dollars, could yield no profits for months, and there's a big learning curve. If you have an office manager, you're going to have to pay him/her and their benefits if any. You'll likely not find a manager you feel you can trust on the first try. Only after going through a few and seeing their terrible work will you land the right one. You wouldn't know what to do on a lot of things and this would cut into residency work. You're going to get calls throughout the day from patients and if it were during residency hours, attendings will not be happy. If you made any mistakes, shark lawyers would likely consider targetting your program since you are their employee and still under their training. "So Mr. Program Director, you let your resident practice privately even though he did not yet graduate from the program?"

Also please do not take any offense by my comment, but if you were thinking of doing PP after PGY-1, you're being too bold. You're reminding me of a medstudent that demanded to do a C-section first day of his Ob-Gyn rotation without considering that he pretty much didn't know what he was doing. If you did PP in PGY 2, I garauntee you'll find yourself in a "WTF did I get myself into" situation, aside from the fact that you'd likely not be practicing within the bounds of the law. I wouldn't recommend private practice until one is comfortable with outpatient clinical practice, they feel they can be in charge of employees, and they want the responsibility of having to nurture the thing for at least several years.

Last edited:
Anyone know what is typical for doctors working at NHSC-approved sites?

Some hospitals are willing to pay for part time work while offering full-time benefits. My current job with the state is, and that's a reason why I work with them despite the mediocre pay. (Among other factors such as great experience). I can cut my hours with the state job so long as I tell them about 2 months ahead of time. They never gave me an exact time period, but I know enough of the hospital operations to know 2 months would be considered kosher in terms of me still maintaining good relations with the administration.

As a physician, where I work, you can still get benefits but the less hours you work, the more the benefits come out of your pocket based on tiers. That said, I pay peanuts IMHO for my full time benefits considering that I'm not full time.

Another thing about my state job is they don't care what time I show up or leave so long as it's on weekdays, I don't show up after 10am and don't leave before 8pm. That leaves a lot of flexibility for my private practice. I could for example leave 8pm one night, then the next day leave 2:30 so I can get to my office.

In my situation, if I were to cut my state hours and expand my office hours, there would be a period of time of a few weeks where I'd probably have to work 5-10 more hours than usual or less as a result of the changes but to me that's fine. I love what I do. If I work more, great, more money. If not, that's just more time off to spend with friends and family.

Mind you that not every hospital in the area will be fine with this. Mine is. In fact if I decided to do PP all the way I'm still thinking of staying with the same hospital because I'd still get benefits as if I'm a full-time employee (pension, healthcare etc). If I did PP 100% I'd have to pay for my own healthcare and that of my wife, no pension, etc. The minimum the hospital will let me work while still getting full-time benefits is 20 hours a week. Fine by me. My plan was to get a few doctors in with me in the PP if I started my own and I know a few that'll do it. That'll more than cover the costs of me not being there all the time, I'd get the best of both worlds.

If you can't find a hospital that'll let you do this type of thing, you might be able to find locum tenens. That'll at least fill up the free time you have while your practice is building.

(Of course if I work for the University, all this is moot. They don't let you work for anyone but them, a reason why all of this is frustrating---too many options and I like all of them).

I wrote this in another thread. It's pretty much illegal (unless the laws have changed) to work while as a resident other than moonlighting, and you have to follow very specific rules with moonlighting. Some of which are 1) you have to be covered by the hospital, 2) you have to have a license to practice, 3) you have to be at least PGY 3 or 4 depending on your state laws.

Even if you could do PP as a resident, trust me, you don't want to do this, and if I were a PD and a resident wanted to do it, I'd strongly discourage them, even consider cutting them from the program. Starting a PP could cost tens of thousands of dollars, could yield no profits for months, and there's a big learning curve. If you have an office manager, you're going to have to pay him/her and their benefits if any. You'll likely not find a manager you feel you can trust on the first try. Only after going through a few and seeing their terrible work will you land the right one. You wouldn't know what to do on a lot of things and this would cut into residency work. You're going to get calls throughout the day from patients and if it were during residency hours, attendings will not be happy. If you made any mistakes, shark lawyers would likely consider targetting your program since you are their employee and still under their training. "So Mr. Program Director, you let your resident practice privately even though he did not yet graduate from the program?"

Thanks for detailing this. I was wondering how to work this scenario out.

Also please do not take any offense by my comment, but if you were thinking of doing PP after PGY-1, you're being too bold. You're reminding me of a medstudent that demanded to do a C-section first day of his Ob-Gyn rotation without considering that he pretty much didn't know what he was doing. If you did PP in PGY 2, I garauntee you'll find yourself in a "WTF did I get myself into" situation, aside from the fact that you'd likely not be practicing within the bounds of the law. I wouldn't recommend private practice until one is comfortable with outpatient clinical practice, they feel they can be in charge of employees, and they want the responsibility of having to nurture the thing for at least several years.

No offense taken, and you raise very salient points. I just wanted to know what all the options were. And I wasn't interested in actually seeing patients, just wondered if I could have a physician assistant work under me while I'm still in residency, psych or otherwise.

Well thanks for taking my possibly ego-dystonic information maturely.

IMHO the best way to learn if you want to do PP is to work in one for awhile. Problem there is if you do that, by the time you figured it out and want to start your own, you've probably entrapped yourself into a no-compete clause pretty much all private practices make you sign before you join them.

An idea I was thinking was joining the university, and that could cut me clean from the PP I'm at. If I did private practice after that, the current one I'm with can't claim I didn't honor their no compete clause because I didn't directly leave their practice and take their patients.

I know this isn't science but if you're the type of guy that watched the first few seasons of the Apprentice (I don't know how the show is now, haven't seen it in years) and you have the itch to do business, consider it. If you're the type of person that just wants to go to work everyday without having to worry about bottom lines, pinching numbers, and worrying about the behind the scenes office stuff, don't do it.

Mmm, disagreeing on some of this. All our moonlighting is outside of the hospital, and I have independent malpractice, which has covered me since PGY-3. I've worked at jails, weekend coverage at a private hospital, and at the local county hospital. You DO need a state license for this, and even in states that will license you once you complete PGY-1, it'll often still take months to get the license from your state board.

Technically I'm licensed in medicine and surgery by the state, and again I wouldn't ever want to step into an OR let alone run one, but legally I am licensed to do so. That's a huge difference from being board certified in a specialty, which is really what defines your scope of practice. If you were taken to court, NOT being board certified probably wouldn't look good, but it isn't illegal technically.

Aren't those the people who work for Psychiatrist and can be a great way to increase your assets? Plus if you are talking about people paying cash, out of pocket, I would guess most of them would want to see the DOCTOR, not the practitioner.

$300 for intake
$180 for 1 hour
$125 for 30 minutes

I'm no mathematician, but if my figures are correct that adds up to, ca ching. Seriously though, this is promising news that there is good money in psych, especially for all us who are interested in the field but aren't yet in it.

Mmm, disagreeing on some of this.

You might not be incorrect. A lot of this is going to vary by state, and I need to apologize because when I wrote my above post it's not like I checked the law in every single state. Ask the program director as they will likely know the laws of the state very well concerning moonlighting, and you'd have to find an insurance carrier willing to carry you.

I still adhere to my opinion that it's not a good idea, but that doesn't make it illegal. You will also have to tell the PD of any work you do outside the program.

f you were taken to court, NOT being board certified probably wouldn't look good, but it isn't illegal technically.

It certainly doesn't look great but it's not out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Also please do not take any offense by my comment, but if you were thinking of doing PP after PGY-1, you're being too bold.

This statement strikes a cord with me. Any day of the week I would rather I or my family be treated by a physician with a single post graduate year of training functioning as General Practitioner then be seen by a midlevel.

Here are the requirements of state licensure for the 50 states: http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html Also, a resident with their own medical license would only be limited in opening their own private practice by the hours needed to staff it coming into conflict with the ACGME 80 hours. Secondly, some programs have further contractual rules limiting moonlighting and the nature of it then would need to be looked at. (I personally wouldn't do it)

Too bold? Third year medical students have more training than a (D)NP. We aren't raising flags to reverse the growing trend of independent (D)NPs. They are too bold. As the system starts to collapse, and CMS funding gets slashed (not happening now, but it will) we will need to further support the role of an intern year trained GP. Hospitals and programs will crimp down on their slots and funding will become more scarce for the traditional lengthy residency, but the tradition of abusing an intern will persist.

For those who wonder about the potential salary in psychiatry take note of the NPs hourly rate above. If a nurse practitioner is flourishing in a cash only practice, then there is plenty of room for physician psychiatrists to do quite well in private practice.

Aren't those the people who work for Psychiatrist and can be a great way to increase your assets? Plus if you are talking about people paying cash, out of pocket, I would guess most of them would want to see the DOCTOR, not the practitioner.

I'm no mathematician, but if my figures are correct that adds up to, ca ching. Seriously though, this is promising news that there is good money in psych, especially for all us who are interested in the field but aren't yet in it.

no, CRNAs are the nurse anesthetists that are pretty much phasing out anesthesiology.

nurse psychotherapists and psychologists are trying to encroach on psychiatry. Which is ok if they taught them what they know and what they don't know. problem in my opinion is that some nurses are downright militant, which is dangerous when paired with ignorance. not to mention annoying.

Anyways, I hope they don't take too much out of psychiatry. i wont want to be working in a dead field, or having to get paid even less.

As an aside, just how common are psych PA's? I keep hearing about them but I have yet to run into one.

Couldn't tell you for certain, but I've met a couple. There's also one that posts on here. In addition, they actually have PA psych residencies, which is a step in the right direction, at least in the sense of acknowledging there's more to the medical treatment of the mentally ill than simply having a license to do so.

As far as the issue sneezing brings up, I think it's rather interesting. Anything done by a resident can be questioned, but there certainly does exist a politically correct counter-culture that manifests in scenarios such as this (i.e. inappropriate for a resident to do x, y, or z but acceptable for a mid-level to do such). With regard to embracing the internship-trained GP, I disagree, but understand what he's saying. I wouldn't want myself or any of my kids to be treated (for anything other than very routine stuff) by either a mid-level or an internship-trained GP. Before anyone gets offended, I extend this, in many circumstances, to someone who wasn't trained in a particular field (for instance I was sick of the BS crap my wife was getting with both FP physicians as well as NPs and took it upon myself to find her someone who would have a much better clue about what's going on -- an OBGYN). There are three pediatricians in our small town and a couple of them really suck, which leads a lot of people I know to take their kids to an FP. Despite them not being very good pediatricians, I respect that they have a much more vast knowledge of peds than a 'pretty good FP' [not a slight to FP, just a circumstantial preference]. I also didn't care much for when a surgeon tried to play the FP role with my wife rather than leaving that to the FP. For some reason mid-levels are able to bypass this criticism for, what appears to be in my opinion, PC purposes. I'm sure I've derailed this enough, however...

Last edited: