psychiatry shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exjersey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anybody share the materials they used to do well on the psych shelf exam? What question books were most helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by exjersey
Could anybody share the materials they used to do well on the psych shelf exam? What question books were most helpful?

I got an 89% on the test and I used a little green book called "Current Clinical Strategies in Psychiatry." You will need to do a small amount of supplemental reading because this book does not cover the kids stuff real well and there will be questions about the autisms, ******ation, ADHD, etc, on the test.

mike

I used Blueprints, which was fine for most of the questions.

The only warning I have for the Psych. shelf was that how many pharm questions that popped up seemed to vary wildly from exam to exam. Our attending had told us that the month before, there was little to no pharm on their exam, so all the neuroleptics, etc. was just night before study material. Our shelf consisted of almost 30% pharm. Good thing I didn't listen to her and studied pharm like crazy! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the psych shelf last month. I used Blueprints, which I had to supplement with info from other sources. It just didn't seem comprehensive enough, but the review questions were OK. I also used NMS throughout the rotation and did all of those practice questions, then borrowed Pretest from a friend.
There were lots of pharm and personality d/o questions on my test. I guess I'll see how it turned out in a few weeks. Good luck!

I used BRS psych, read through it twice (each chapter is pretty quick especially after thowing out all the behavioral/historical stuff at the end), and still had enough time to make a quick reference sheet for all the little things that I'd forget (ex. number of months needed before I can make the dx., etc.). Also did Pre-Test, which I love regardless of discipline, and ended up with 89% on the shelf.

DEFINITELY overstudy rather than understudy pharm - I had at least 25% of these. Admittedly, that can be a daunting task given all the drugs, however the drug questions that did appear on my exam were pretty straight - if you had studied the pharm. Pre-test does a nice job hitting the pharm high points across most sections.

Good Luck!!