Psychiatry to other medical specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ellaellafan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Anyone out there were done with training for a couple of years and practiced psych as an official "attending" and then switched to another field? I realize it's harder than if you're still in residency. Thinking about it but not sure...

Members don't see this ad.

One of the OBGYN attendings where I went to med school did a psych residency, worked as a psychiatrist for two years, and then did OBGYN. It's doable...

Reactions: 1 user
One of the OBGYN attendings where I went to med school did a psych residency, worked as a psychiatrist for two years, and then did OBGYN. It's doable...

Woah, that must be quite the uphill battle. I can't imagine going to OB/GYN with just one year of Psych completed, let alone being 7-8 years removed from medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, that must be quite the uphill battle. I can't imagine going to OB/GYN with just one year of Psych completed, let alone being 7-8 years removed from medical school.
Why? Mid-levels can change fields in 2 weeks.

Reactions: 3 users
I think that as opposed to switching IM subspecialties or something similar, switching from Psych may feel or be perceived as more difficult because you're further removed from the internal medicine-y aspects of healthcare, but this is likely to be very person-dependent. That you've had a longstanding interest in CL suggests that you've always had an inclination, if not aptitude, for the non-psych aspects of medicine, so as long as the drive is there I think it shouldn't be too difficult for you. I've known a handful of attendings who have switched specialties and they all stressed determination and a patient/understanding family situation as the keys to this transition. Mind you, there's going to be a pretty large income hit that you'll probably never fully recover from unless you end up doing EM in a rural area, interventional pain, or some other very highly compensated field, but if you're truly unhappy it's worth it. And as somebody in your other thread mentioned, your previous training in Psychiatry will make you highly sought-after no matter what field you wind up switching to.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that as opposed to switching IM subspecialties or something similar, switching from Psych may feel or be perceived as more difficult because you're further removed from the internal medicine-y aspects of healthcare,.

yes, this is correct and is common sense and is going to be the way pretty much everyone feels.