Psychodynamic programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on applying to a few schools next year which have a psychodynamic orientation. This is my list(below). I would appreciate any comments on the following schools and also if there are other options I haven't thought of. I would like to try and apply to about 10 schools.

1. TC
2. CUNY
3. Adelphi
4. LIU brooklyn
5. CWPOST(Psyd)
6. Yeshiva (Psyd)

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know of any program in the west coast with a psychodynamic orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that you're applying in NYC...you might want to check out St. John's in Queens. It has a 50/50 psychodynamic/CBT orientation, and offers some tuition remission (I think half for all students, and 100% for some based on merit, if I remember correctly?). They seem to have a strong reputation in the area.

I believe it's 100% for the first year, fully renewable for the second year and 50% for the third . Research grants for the rest of the years although probably not fully funded. The stipend is not much to shout about though.

Hi all,

I'm planning on applying to a few schools next year which have a psychodynamic orientation. This is my list(below). I would appreciate any comments on the following schools and also if there are other options I haven't thought of. I would like to try and apply to about 10 schools.

1. TC
2. CUNY
3. Adelphi
4. LIU brooklyn
5. CWPOST(Psyd)
6. Yeshiva (Psyd)

Take a look at George Washington Universities Psy.D as well. Although, I don't know anything about it other than it's reputation of being psychodynamically oriented.

Take a look at George Washington Universities Psy.D as well. Although, I don't know anything about it other than it's reputation of being psychodynamically oriented.

thanks, i'll have a look at it.

if anyone has an idea in the San Francisco area, i'd appreciate it

You should know that C.W. Post is holds a more equal balance between CBT and psychdynamic theory than the other schools on your list. If you are at all interested in child-psych, you might want to add Pace University to your list. It is a combined clinical-school PsyD program but you get training in adult psych too. The reason I mention Pace is because the training is heavily psychodynamic.

Hi all,

1. TC
2. CUNY
3. Adelphi
4. LIU brooklyn
5. CWPOST(Psyd)
6. Yeshiva (Psyd)

I spoke with the director of the Yeshiva combined school-child clinical PsyD program today. He emphasized strong training in psychodynamic, CBT, & family systems orientations, and said that the same goes for their clinical PsyD program. So, not sure I'd label Yeshiva as psychodynamic. (The director of their clinical program is a leader in CBT.)
I've heard that CW Post is more CBT, but yes, according to colleagues, CUNY & the LIU PhD (in Bklyn) are much more psychodynamic.
I e-mailed a student @ the GW PsyD program, who said that it's super psychodynamic! I also looked at their course offerings (found it helpful to learn about the "nuts & bolts" of a program, and also, to read faculty profiles. You could also see if they list recent students' dissertation titles.)
I am certainly planning to apply to programs with the most variety of courses and clinical opportunities.
Good luck at any rate! :-D