Psychodynamic track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyjoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go into a clinical PsyD program and choose the track for psychodynamic psychotherapy such as this school has: http://cps.nova.edu/programs/psyd/psychodynamic.html

My question is, can I still do that if I attend a school that doesn't have that track? It's not very common but I would like to become a practicing psychotherapist.

Members don't see this ad.

I want to go into a clinical PsyD program and choose the track for psychodynamic psychotherapy such as this school has: http://cps.nova.edu/programs/psyd/psychodynamic.html

My question is, can I still do that if I attend a school that doesn't have that track? It's not very common but I would like to become a practicing psychotherapist.

You can attend any school that has the training there. Should be dozens. I would suggest getting both CBT and dynamic training though, opens up a lot more in the way of professional flexibility.

"Tracks" are more marketing than anything else, as most programs will offer speciality training in a range of different areas. I'd estimate 25%-30% of what you *actually* learn in grad school comes from the classroom, and the rest comes from close clinical & research mentorship and your training practicas.

I'd second the recommendation to not pigeon-hole yourself with only a psychodynamic approach, as this can limit job options. There has been a much stronger push in the past decade or more to primarily/only use empirically based treatments. There are some veins of dynamic work that do have some EBT support, but it is far from a complete enough literature to not have training in other approaches. One of the best mentors I ever had conceptualized from a dynamic framework, though he also had many "tools" in his toolbox. From a practical standpoint learning (and I mean really learning) other approaches can strengthen your primary approach because you can compare/contrast the theoretical models and add tools to your toolbox.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"Tracks" are more marketing than anything else, as most programs will offer speciality training in a range of different areas. I'd estimate 25%-30% of what you *actually* learn in grad school comes from the classroom, and the rest comes from close clinical & research mentorship and your training practicas.

I'd second the recommendation to not pigeon-hole yourself with only a psychodynamic approach, as this can limit job options. There has been a much stronger push in the past decade or more to primarily/only use empirically based treatments. There are some veins of dynamic work that do have some EBT support, but it is far from a complete enough literature to not have training in other approaches. One of the best mentors I ever had conceptualized from a dynamic framework, though he also had many "tools" in his toolbox. From a practical standpoint learning (and I mean really learning) other approaches can strengthen your primary approach because you can compare/contrast the theoretical models and add tools to your toolbox.

Do any of these concentrations have any bearing on Post-doc positions or anything like that?

One of the best mentors I ever had conceptualized from a dynamic framework, though he also had many "tools" in his toolbox.

This is what most psychodynamically-focused programs will teach you - how to conceptualize from a dynamic framework. Most graduates of these programs learn other subspecialties, such as DBT or CBT, in their externship training as T4C stated. Psychodynamic work is very interesting, but in order to truly do it well, you must go for a post-doctoral training at a reputable psychoanalytic institute like, NYU or William Alanson White's program (mentioning only NYC area) in order to become a true psychoanalyst. That takes at least 5-7 years on top of your 5-7 years of clinical psychology PhD/PsyD training. A psychodynamically-oriented program will give you a solid base, but it's up to you to figure out what matches your interests, what population you want to work with and how to make yourself marketable for very competitive career (which is what all programs, regardless of orientation, will require of you).

So all you nay-sayers: Don't knock clinical psychologists who are also psychoanalysts, they've been hardcore studying the unconscious in themselves and others for at least 10-14 years - Could you imagine that? The thought of it makes me want to find a good couch to lay down on and start cathecting...

Good luck! :luck:

P.S. T4C, one of my favorite clinical neuropsychologist friends is from a psychodyamic program, she just kicked butt and got into all the best neuropsychology externships, an even better internship, and continued with a post-doc in neuropsych. So, to the OP, it really is what you make of it.

Last edited:

You can go to programs with dynamic training , many do not have concentrations. A good portion of your training will come from practicum so apply to programs that have psychodynamic externships. Some areas are better at this than others. Areas such as: New York, California,DC,Chicago, and Boston tend to have many psychodynamic practicums. New York has the most. Some programs with good psychodynamic training: CUNY city college, LIU Brooklyn, LIU C.W. post, Columbia TC, Adelphi, Yeshiva, Rutgers Psyd, and George Washington. Make sure you are exposed to other orientations and take into account match and price.

Do any of these concentrations have any bearing on Post-doc positions or anything like that?

No. It matters a lot more that you have a good mentor, that you gain quality practica and classroom experiences, and that the quality of your work compares favorably to your competition. You can have these things without needing a "concentration". There are some very established programs that are known for being particularly good in a certain area, but what makes them good includes what I listed above...not what they call the training experience.

No. It matters a lot more that you have a good mentor, that you gain quality practica and classroom experiences, and that the quality of your work compares favorably to your competition. You can have these things without needing a "concentration". There are some very established programs that are known for being particularly good in a certain area, but what makes them good includes what I listed above...not what they call the training experience.

Sounds good! Thanks! Do you mind if I PM you about a few things?

It doesn't matter to me. i just want direct honest answers if you are willing to give them. Do you mind?

T4C may be focused on other very important business...Pose your questions here. Most of us are anonymous, so we'll give you God's honest truth. Plus now you've sparked some curiousity....:idea:

I think you should clarify if you want dynamic or analytic training. Here in NYC, I have interacted with some analysts who even differentiate psychotherapy with psychoanalysis. CCNY and Adelphi are two of the more analytic programs (LIU and New School a lesser extent). Maybe things have changed recently but I know about 6-7 years ago CCNY did not teach Rorschach CS scoring but instead taught Rappaport, Klofpter, etc.; MMPI or other more contemporary personality measures were not taught. However, many students received additional training through externships, internship, etc. These programs tend to have a strong reputation of producing clinically sound students; however, assessment and research skills vary depending on additional training.

Postdoctoral analysis training is definitely expected here in NYC if you want to call yourself an "analyst." Also, here in NY, I believe you can be a licensed psychoanalyst with just an MA (I think it is one of the new mental health professions).

T4C may be focused on other very important business...Pose your questions here. Most of us are anonymous, so we'll give you God's honest truth. Plus now you've sparked some curiousity....:idea:

Mind if I PM you instead? Lol:D