1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychoeducational books for depression?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by cara susanna, Jul 29, 2011.

1. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Hi everyone,

My friend asked me if I had any recommendations for books aimed towards navigating a close relationship with someone who has major depression. I tried looking myself on Amazon, and they all seem really pop psych-y or dumbed down. So, I would really appreciate any suggestions--if you have a book title that you recommend to your clients' families, for instance, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. aequitasveritas

7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    I enjoy "Becoming Real"
    Its not necessarily for depression but it certainly targets narratives of life.
    Its pop-culty but very good.

4. roubs

roubs Ph.D. Student
    7+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I'd recommend The Noonday Demon.

It's not a "How-to" book about managing your depressed significant other, but I hope it would help develop an individual's understanding of the illness and what their friend/partner is going through.

5. LM02

LM02 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I really like this book - use it all the time with my patients. I suppose it is more bibliotherapy vs. psychoed, but it has a lot of really useful information.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Depression-One-Step-Time/dp/1572243678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312121668&sr=8-1

Though, to be fair, it is heavily behavioral (e.g., I don't think there is a lot of info re: pharmacotherapy).

Steve Ilardi's book is also very good - and has a few chapters on the front end that are highly psychoeducational, and provide some data re: pharmacotherapy, psychotherapy, and their combination. But it also leans away from pharmacotherapy, and instead focuses on what we know from psychology research (e.g., psychotherapy, behavioral activation, exercise, sleep-wake regulation, interpersonal factors, diet, etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Depression-Cure-6-Step-Program-without/dp/0738213888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312122003&sr=8-1

Both of these books were written by depression researchers (and clinicians) who do very good work, so the empirical basis is strong. Steve's book is also available for the Kindle!

6. DrGachet

Removed

Is your friend secretly you? /jk

7. Rivi

7+ Year Member

Psychologist
    David Burns "The Feeling Good Handbook" is the hands down best psychoed book on depression for clients.

8. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor
    Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Maybe Anne Sheffield's "How You Can Survive When They're Depressed"? Haven't read it, but the reviews look promising, and it's specific to family members, not clients..