Psychoeducational books for depression?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My friend asked me if I had any recommendations for books aimed towards navigating a close relationship with someone who has major depression. I tried looking myself on Amazon, and they all seem really pop psych-y or dumbed down. So, I would really appreciate any suggestions--if you have a book title that you recommend to your clients' families, for instance, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

My friend asked me if I had any recommendations for books aimed towards navigating a close relationship with someone who has major depression. I tried looking myself on Amazon, and they all seem really pop psych-y or dumbed down. So, I would really appreciate any suggestions--if you have a book title that you recommend to your clients' families, for instance, that would be perfect.

Thanks!

I enjoy "Becoming Real"
Its not necessarily for depression but it certainly targets narratives of life.
Its pop-culty but very good.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

I'd recommend The Noonday Demon.

It's not a "How-to" book about managing your depressed significant other, but I hope it would help develop an individual's understanding of the illness and what their friend/partner is going through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really like this book - use it all the time with my patients. I suppose it is more bibliotherapy vs. psychoed, but it has a lot of really useful information.

http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-De...3678/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312121668&sr=8-1

Though, to be fair, it is heavily behavioral (e.g., I don't think there is a lot of info re: pharmacotherapy).

Steve Ilardi's book is also very good - and has a few chapters on the front end that are highly psychoeducational, and provide some data re: pharmacotherapy, psychotherapy, and their combination. But it also leans away from pharmacotherapy, and instead focuses on what we know from psychology research (e.g., psychotherapy, behavioral activation, exercise, sleep-wake regulation, interpersonal factors, diet, etc.).

http://www.amazon.com/Depression-Cu...3888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312122003&sr=8-1

Both of these books were written by depression researchers (and clinicians) who do very good work, so the empirical basis is strong. Steve's book is also available for the Kindle!

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Is your friend secretly you? /jk

David Burns "The Feeling Good Handbook" is the hands down best psychoed book on depression for clients.