Psychologist Prescribing Passes Illinois Senate by Wide Margin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think part of the problem is that our field is not united. Other professions do not seem to have this much discord about what is important.
I think other large guilds have similar tensions. For examples, I hear a lot of dissatisfaction from MDs about the AMA.

Members don't see this ad.

actually the APA has made at least two commercials (which are pretty cheesy). Of course, I have not seen these on TV yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbo_dtAOLD0&feature=youtu.be
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_...therapy-as-depression-treatment-before-pills/

Silly.

These videos should be a bit more scientific and need some data on psychotherapy outcome presented in a very clear way. Aside from that, how do we get millions of viewers to watch these? Right now, you have to find these on you tube and i'm pretty sure that psychologists are the only viewers.

I agree that APA would do better to spend their time and our money ;) working on issues like scope creep and reimbursement rather than focusing on RxP (which is, full disclosure, not something I personally think is a well thoughout idea, at least in its present form).

However, I do find the "physiological issues may present as psychiatric ones" argument to be a bit specious. Do that many outpatient psychiatrists really do a full medical workup on all their patients to rule out possible physiological causes? Heck, do that many inpatient psychiatrists do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. However, how can we compete with big pharma companies that have billions at their disposal? A campaign to increase awareness of therapy would be great, but how do we get enough funding to have an impact on the public? I think we can also publish articles about what we do and send it to major news outlets as an op-ed.

Does anyone know how much of our resources are spent trying to attain prescription priv. for psychologists? I am not against this movement, but I am concerned that after 30 years of fighting for this we have only gotten this law passed in two states. That doesn't seem like a great use of resources. It doesn't affect even 0.5% of psychologists.

I think part of the problem is that our field is not united. Other professions do not seem to have this much discord about what is important.

I'm not sure of the split in APA funds spent, but I believe a large reason for the lack of success at getting these measures passed falls on the psychologists/psychological organizations at the state level. The APA can get involved, but the efforts really need to be headed by local folks, and apparently that hasn't happened much. Unfortunately, the APA then just seems to keep throwing money and time at the issue.

Silly.

These videos should be a bit more scientific and need some data on psychotherapy outcome presented in a very clear way. Aside from that, how do we get millions of viewers to watch these? Right now, you have to find these on you tube and i'm pretty sure that psychologists are the only viewers.

Who the heck approved of using APA funding to make these piece of crap videos? Seriously? Little cartoon people and spending half of the time trying to joke about a fictional pill that solves all of your problems?

This just reinforces my decision not to waste my money on the optional practice fee, assuming that is where these originated.

I think there are other hurdles involved in in rx privileges. I know from a few psychiatry friends involved at the state level that at the, uh, other APA organization (psychiatric association) there is a constant point of conversation and organizational work geared towards advocating against and preventing psychologist prescribing rights. With the american psychiatric association and AMA lobbying against psychologist prescribing rights at every corner, I do think the APA (psychological association) has many logistical challenges that must be surmounted.

The funny thing to me is everything has a physiological basis. The line between neurology and psychiatry is arbitrary. We, psychologists, have been advancing biological models of behavior for years, and our treatments have a physiological effect. Drugs are not really all that different.

Definitely agreed. But I think more research documenting physiological changes based on psychosocial interventions is needed. It's certainly a direction I'd like to go with some collaborators for research studies.

Definitely agreed. But I think more research documenting physiological changes based on psychosocial interventions is needed. It's certainly a direction I'd like to go with some collaborators for research studies.

I agree, and I think this is great research for destigmatization and "proving" efficacy to people who think therapy is "just talk.". On the other hand, however, I don't want to see anyone--in medicine or psychology--just throw functioning out the window as an outcome. If someone is functioning much better-- is holding a job, is having less volatile interpersonal relationships, is no longer suicidal, etc.--that's very important even if you can't see it on an MRI, and I'd be wary of basing tx efficacy and effectiveness *only* on MRIs, CAT scans, and so forth.