Psychologist Salary = $83-107K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PublicHealth

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It sounds right if they are only including doctorate level psychologists. Since they are performing this from a medical perspective, there are probably not many university academics, mostly full time practitioners and medical faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
PublicHealth said:
Not bad considering what other occupations (which cost $150K+ for education) are paying:

http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_midlevel_compensation_survey.htm

Not sure why psychology is classified as "mid-level," though.

LOL!!!!

The reality is that unless you're working in a specialty area (forensics, rural, or criminal/prison psychology), you'd have to work in the field 20 years to see these figures in clinical psychology.

Try more like $40-50k coming out of school. Do the math in paying back your student loans, and you'll see that most clinical psychologists struggle mightily in the first 10 years of practice.

After 10 years, in most parts of the country, you'll hit $50-60k, and if you're a part of a real successful practice, maybe $70k. After 20 years, then things can be interesting, assuming the entire world of healthcare hasn't completely changed in such a long period of time!

-John

PS - Believe it or not, some doctoral psychology students can pay close to $150k in student loans as well.

I really don't know what experiences you have had with psychologists, but I can tell you that the psychologists I have worked with recently have made well above 40k and are less than 5 years out, more like 60k at least.

Sanman said:
I really don't know what experiences you have had with psychologists, but I can tell you that the psychologists I have worked with recently have made well above 40k and are less than 5 years out, more like 60k at least.

Yeah, 40K sounds more like a good post-doc salary 'round my neck of the woods. I'm hearing around 55-60K for a starting position that will leave you enough time to build a private practice.

A graduate from my lab was recently offered an academic position with a starting salary of 90K plus almost a quarter million in start-up funds... its all about if you are doing cutting-edge research and you can sell yourself well.

what type of research was he doing jatpenn?

cognition/emotion stuff using imaging techniques.

JatPenn said:
A graduate from my lab was recently offered an academic position with a starting salary of 90K plus almost a quarter million in start-up funds... its all about if you are doing cutting-edge research and you can sell yourself well.

Assitant professor jobs at medical schools pay in this range. I have heard $80-110K/year is the approximate range.

Is this where your friend is working?

Nope, just a psych department in a heavily research-oriented institution. Sorry if Im skimping on details, want to preserve everyone's anonymity here.

I know someone who took an assistant professor job at Harvard. Makes good money there.

to teach at a med school? I assume you already have to have a good number of years under your belt to teach there- is this true?

A well known prof told me that starting salary is mid 50k to early 60k. Once you get tenure its 80k to 120k. Bottom line I still think its pretty good money and anyway if this is your passion, isnt that what most counts.