Psychology Across States

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oathkeeper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Practicing in NY and am starting to become a little disillusioned about the MD hierarchy in hospital systems here. It got me thinking about the different hospital privileges granted to psychologists (eg- admitting privileges, position of unit chief) and just the treatment of psychologists......wondering how these differed across states. I'm proud to be a psychologist and do not want to be an MD, but feel like they should be equally respected degrees.

Members don't see this ad.

RXP states- medical staff. Some can admit. All can order tests.

CA: unique in that their psychologists can admit, and write lab orders. Despite what others say, I am positive this happens.

Other states: can be on medical executive committees, some can own hospitals, some can file emergency certificates to detain people for mental health emergencies, some states require psychologists to sign off on new psych hospitals, etc. Some states have psychologists in important public health departments in state government.

Reactions: 1 user