Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
So I've been considering switching my major from Biology to Psychology, since my medical withdrawals have made a double major and a minor impossible, but my issue with this is raising my Science GPA, which is currently VERY low, for medical schools. Is this a bad move? Has anyone managed to get around this block somehow?

Also, would a research credit class count as part of BCMP GPA?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Some of your psychology classes will be Bcpm. Research classes could count. Basically you could raise your science gpa without being a biology major not to mention you've got a a good amount of room for electives sciences which will be extremely interesting.

OP
Algophiliac

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Some of your psychology classes will be Bcpm. Research classes could count. Basically you could raise your science gpa without being a biology major not to mention you've got a a good amount of room for electives sciences which will be extremely interesting.
The links on SDN about classes that count for BCMP GPA don't seem to involve any Psychology classes, not even Biopsychology classes, hmm.

I am just worried about an inevitable huge disparity in the BCMP GPA vs. the overall GPA. I may be able to raise my overall GPA to above a 3.5 by application time, but my science GPA might be near 3.0. :( That can't possibly be acceptable.

fizzgig

LudicrousSpeed!
7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2009
within the labyrinth...
Status
Medical Student
the way it seems to be listed here is you can say any of your classes are bcmp if you want, and amcas will decide after you submit what they'll be. so yeah some of them could be in your bcmp gpa, but you're right (by my understanding) that you can't guarantee them to count unless they are explicitly listed as such. it seems ridiculous to pick a major based on this gpa but around here it seems ppl say gpa really is that important, especially sGPA... your psych classes, or some of them, may count, but you may need to build gpa based on the assumption that they might not.

barcoderider

5+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Berkeley
Status
Pre-Medical
As a Psych major, I found that none of my Psych classes were BCPM.

Research class is not likely to count either.

I think your only real option is to take a bunch of upper division bio classes and rock out in them.

Suenya

Hail Eris
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student
Psych stats, and neuro/biopsych classes you can list as BCMP. Nothing else in psych will count so you'll need to raise it in other ways.

Research, research methods, etc will not count (unless they are also a stats class, but I haven't seen them connected before.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
The links on SDN about classes that count for BCMP GPA don't seem to involve any Psychology classes, not even Biopsychology classes, hmm.

I am just worried about an inevitable huge disparity in the BCMP GPA vs. the overall GPA. I may be able to raise my overall GPA to above a 3.5 by application time, but my science GPA might be near 3.0. :( That can't possibly be acceptable.
Welll like I also said, psych majors give you a lot of elective room. Not to mention at least at my university you've got a lot of neuroscience or biopsych courses.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
:confused: Has this changed in the last four years? I did multiple 1 or 2 credit independent research things, and they counted for my sGPA.
No, research counts. If you're doing hard science research why wouldn't it?

chrisoc13

Brand New Member
Jun 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Research can count but I don't know if psychology research would or not. My research credits went into my BCPM, but it was physiology research.

OP
Algophiliac

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Welll like I also said, psych majors give you a lot of elective room. Not to mention at least at my university you've got a lot of neuroscience or biopsych courses.
Can anyone verify if biopsych courses count toward BCMP for recent application cycles? Is there anyone related to AMCAS that I can call to verify this information? Thanks!

These are actually exactly the classes I am deeply interested in--I am fascinated with the way psychology and neuroscience meld, but these integrated classes are mainly listed under the psychology major. It's almost as if my school's neurobiology major has a morbid fear of the liberal arts sneaking in.

Dec 23, 2009
Status
Research can count but I don't know if psychology research would or not. My research credits went into my BCPM, but it was physiology research.
Really? I had no idea "research" units could count under BCPM.. are you guys sure? So if you're working in a neuroscience lab (for ex.) and signed up for psych units, you can count this under the bcpm gpa?

Although I'm not quite sure how they'd know if you were in a "science" lab..

Kevin Baker

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AMCAS tends to assign classes based on the department they are in. MOST of my neuropsych classes didn't count as they were run by the psych department, even though some were anatomy classes with labs, though a few were coded as BCPM. I also applied to AACOMAS and the same thing happened, but some classes were coded as BCP that didn't make it past AMCAS and vice versa.

I think it depends on who verifies your transcript AND how you code it. I wouldn't count on the class counting unless the name sounds really BCPMy (psychopharmacology, neuroanatomy, and behavioral neurobiology might count while brain and behavior, and neuropsychology might not).

If its coded under the neuro or bio department it should work imo. But if its psych, thats a crap shoot.

Just to give you a frame of reference in my case...

These didn't count for AMCAS. All were in the Psych department
1. Neuropsych
2. Cog Psych + lab
3. Research methods (a class based on learning how to run experiments)
4. Research methods Practicum (a class based solely on running experiments)
5. Clinical Neuropsych + lab

These did count
1. Neuroscience 1 (bio department)
2. Neuroscience 2 (bio department)
3. Neuropharmacology and behavior (psych department)

I also did research which did count. It was coded under the Bio department but it was one of those liberal arts/interdisciplinary labs which focused on bio, neuro, psych, and econ

Last edited:

jvesco22

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2009
Status
For the psych majors that said none of their courses counted for BCPM, did you originally try to input them as BCPM and the AMCAS corrected it after? Or did you guys just input all the courses together and let it automatically assign the course? How did it work in your case?

iniquus

game recognize game and you lookin' unfamiliar
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2010
If your psych course is reasonable more than half BPCM (like most neuroscience courses are), it should count. If it doesn't, you can always appeal the verification. My pre-med advisor said AMCAS has a history of courses from your school they verify as counting towards science GPA.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Psychology major here. None of my units count toward BCPM.
Well most of my psych classes are pretty much neuroscience. I'll find it pretty difficult to believe if adcoms look at courses like "Biological basis of behavior" or "Neural systems" or "Biological basis of behavior laboratory" or even "Animal behavior" and say that they aren't BCPM. But again if you're a psych major concentrating primarily on social psychology or research psych then you probably will not be taking any BCPM psych courses outside of psychometric's.

Geneticist

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2010
Heaven
Status
Pre-Medical
If I do research for honors college credit in microbiology, will that count towards my BCPM...?

SarahBellum1

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm a neuroscience major, and my pre-med advisor told me none of my neuro classes will count for sGPA, unless they are listed with a CHEM or BIOL course code. Unfortunately, most of my major classes are under NEUR. :-/

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I'm a neuroscience major, and my pre-med advisor told me none of my neuro classes will count for sGPA, unless they are listed with a CHEM or BIOL course code. Unfortunately, most of my major classes are under NEUR. :-/
Prime example of how Pre-med advisers are many times completely inept and give bad advice. The department doesn't really matter as long as the material is science. For example you can take statistics under a social science department and it's still BCPM even though its pre-fix isn't math. Neuroscience courses = BCPM.

Kevin Baker

7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Prime example of how Pre-med advisers are many times completely inept and give bad advice. The department doesn't really matter as long as the material is science. For example you can take statistics under a social science department and it's still BCPM even though its pre-fix isn't math. Neuroscience courses = BCPM.
While I agree advisers often aren't great, I believe you are misinformed. The department often does matter, not the course description. There is an appeal process but in general, what AMCAS says goes and many neuro courses that are mostly bio based don't count, if they are in the psych department. Stats is an obvious math class regardless of what department it is in. A neuro class under the psych department isn't an obvious candidate for bio or psych, so often the default they choose is psych.

And for Sara, I believe if it is under the neuro department, it does count. According to the AMCAS help file, neuroscience courses count as biology.

Last edited:

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
The only classes I'll try to get passed for BCPM are my Statistics in Psych and Biopsych.

Possibly research methods and design, but I think I should be good with stats and biopsych

SarahBellum1

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student

And for Sara, I believe if it is under the neuro department, it does count. According to the AMCAS help file, neuroscience courses count as biology.

Hmm...well, that would be great if it did! I'm from Texas, so it may be different? I e-mailed some TMDSAS people to confirm. We'll see if I get a reply..

Jun 19, 2010
Status
Course content is more important than the department. I'm a neuro major, and at my school there are many neuro courses listed under the psychology department. These courses and neuroscience research done for credit were verified as BCPM on my application. If you think some of your psychology electives are closer to neuroscience/biology than say cognitive pscyhology, go ahead and list them as BCPM when you're filling out the AMCAS. It definitely helped raise my sGPA.

SarahBellum1

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Just got an e-mail back from someone with TMDSAS:

"Statistics taught in the Physics or Math depts. will count towards your science GPA. If it is taught in the Business or Psych dept, then NO.
Most neuroscience would be considered "other science" and be counted toward the science GPA."

My advisor told me, though, that they say that they absolutely will not take psych stats if you ask, but that in actuality they will...you just have to trust your advisor to take care of it.

vanillabear55

just keep swimming
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2009
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
my advisor just said that psychology statistics will not count in my overall BCMP gpa.
I don't understand though, isn't it worth a shot to at least see if the AMCAS will approve it?

SarahBellum1

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
my advisor just said that psychology statistics will not count in my overall BCMP gpa. I don't understand though, isn't it worth a shot to at least see if the AMCAS will approve it?
Hmm... I really don't know...From my understanding is they'll check what you put into your science gpa anyway and make the final call, so I don't really see the problem in trying

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
my advisor just said that psychology statistics will not count in my overall BCMP gpa.
I don't understand though, isn't it worth a shot to at least see if the AMCAS will approve it?
If you did well in it. Then by all means put it into the Math category.

psychology isn't real science sorry bro
huh.....the topic of conversation is not what is real "science" and what is not. The matter is more about whether 'science' heavy courses from other departments count under "BCPM" classification.

To quote from JHU premed website: http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/Applicants/AMCAS.html

When in doubt about how to code a particular course, keep the following guideline in mind. If 60% or more of the course material was on a specific subject (for example, Biology), then you can code the course as that subject.
Biological Psychology or Statistical psychology clearly contains at least 80% biology and statistics (and yes, statistics is completely considered as BCPM..look at the aamc website link I put in my previous post)

Last edited by a moderator:

candav

5+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Psych minor here... I listed biopsych courses (with PSY prefix) on AMCAS as BCPM and it was totally fine!

Also, the AMCAS guide specifically states that neuroscience courses are BCPM. I listed neuro courses from various departments as BCPM and AMCAS accepted it.

Schizotypy

O.R. they?
7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As multiple people have posted, I think it's somewhat common to get your psych stats considered BCPM, even if it was offered from the Psych department.

I was a psych major and I didn't try to get any of my courses considered BCPM, and that also worked. I think what you categorize your Psych Stats class as is at your discretion. I would definitely not try to count Experimental Psych-type courses under the science designation, however.

Jul 31, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I just got my amcas verified and they took my PSY 201: Stats in Psych and PSY 301: Advanced Stats in Psych as BCPM. I didn't try entering in my Research Methods class under BCPM but they accepted my psychophysiology research credits as BCPM.

They also took my PSY 358: Neuroanatomy and PSY 359: Neuropharmacology as BCPM so it's definitely possible.