Psychology degree positive on CV for Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HannahK24

IMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im very interested in pursuing a masters degree in psychology while waiting on the long road of applying a residency in psychiatry. I have heard that directors of psychiatry programs think negatively upon degrees done in life coaching, social work, psychology etc. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Im very interested in pursuing a masters degree in psychology while waiting on the long road of applying a residency in psychiatry. I have heard that directors of psychiatry programs think negatively upon degrees done in life coaching, social work, psychology etc. Is that true?

I know of psychiatrists who majored in psychology in college so I don't think it would be harmful at all, it would be a boost if anything. Social work or "life coaching" probably not so much.

I don't know that people look down on it, but I also don't know that it would be particularly beneficial. Why not just devote your current efforts on getting into medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that people look down on it, but I also don't know that it would be particularly beneficial. Why not just devote your current efforts on getting into medical school?

That's a good point. First things first. The psychology degree may or may not be particularly helpful for getting into psych residency, but it's probably not going to be much help in getting into med school. Once you get into med school you really won't need any help getting into psychiatry, which is one of the easiest and least competitive specialties to get into.

If I'm interpreting the OP correctly, they are already a medical school grad trying to match as an IMG. To that scenario I would suggest that a psychology masters isn't a total waste of time, but one should make sure that it demonstrates (via LORs, publications possibly) that one is able to work effectively in the clinical environment--e.g. a masters project that involves patient interviews perhaps, or has immediate relevance to a health care context. This *might* give you a leg up on run of the mill IMGs, though probably the most important thing you can do to strengthen the application is pass your USMLE 3.

If I'm interpreting the OP correctly, they are already a medical school grad trying to match as an IMG. To that scenario I would suggest that a psychology masters isn't a total waste of time, but one should make sure that it demonstrates (via LORs, publications possibly) that one is able to work effectively in the clinical environment--e.g. a masters project that involves patient interviews perhaps, or has immediate relevance to a health care context. This *might* give you a leg up on run of the mill IMGs, though probably the most important thing you can do to strengthen the application is pass your USMLE 3.

Agreed.

I recall a handful of applicants with social work backgrounds who were perceived as being particularly interesting.

Life coaching... not so much.

I'm pretty sure that my Master's degree in psychology was a contributing factor in the medical school admissions process. In retrospect, I think it made me look like someone quite dedicated to the field. Silly them.

If you are an IMG who is having a problem standing out from the other IMGs, then having a masters degree might help since it could convince people that you have a true and strong interest in psychiatry. However, having such a degree won't compensate much for having a lot of flags in your application.

If you can, I'd suggest having a knowledgeable external person review your application and offer up what s/he thinks is your weak spot(s). Remedy that first, if possible. Generally, it'd be to do something that would reassure a PD that you would be a happy camper who completes the requirements.