Psychology HPSP Class of 2019 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found out today that I got an interview for the Navy HPSP, but I haven't had my medical exam (MEPS) yet. Anyone got info on what it's like and how hard it is to get cleared? I'm kind of surprised I was granted an interview without being cleared medically first.

Congrats on your selection for an interview! MEPS is essentially a full medical work up and what they will have you do is the same as you would during any physical at your primary care physician's office. Keep in mind that I processed for the Army, so there may be slight differences. When I went for MEPS the recruiter had me stay in a hotel the night before with a bunch of enlisted hopefuls. The next day I woke up around 4:00am, was given a free breakfast, asked to board a bus with the aforementioned enlisted folks and went to the MEPS station. During processing, I went through a physical examination, an ear exam, an eye exam and some blood was drawn for routine labs. All in all, those things are very basic and nothing you haven't done before. The only strange part is when they line you all up in a room and make you do joint stretches and test your flexibility (google "duck walk".) After all the physical work, I was asked a series of questions which are probably similar to questions you've filled out on your application. For example, they may assess drug use, credit problems, etc. All in all, if you are in relatively good health and haven't had any surgeries or abnormal medical problems in the past, you should be cleared no problem.

Edit: It's not abnormal to do MEPS at any point in the process. According to regs, it just has to be done before you commission. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks a lot for all the info. Hopefully I can do MEPS over spring break and have everything finished up before the interview. I was initially interested in the Army HPSP, but the recruiter went on leave, his replacement never would get anything done for me and eventually told me to apply next year. I was really hoping the Army would work out because of the Ft. Gordon internship, but it will be interesting to see how things go with the Navy. I have had a hard time getting definite information about internship sites, places where I could work after internship and all the other information. Everyone I talk to tends to tell me something different. Anyone/anywhere you know of that can give me reliable information?

Thanks a lot for all the info. Hopefully I can do MEPS over spring break and have everything finished up before the interview. I was initially interested in the Army HPSP, but the recruiter went on leave, his replacement never would get anything done for me and eventually told me to apply next year. I was really hoping the Army would work out because of the Ft. Gordon internship, but it will be interesting to see how things go with the Navy. I have had a hard time getting definite information about internship sites, places where I could work after internship and all the other information. Everyone I talk to tends to tell me something different. Anyone/anywhere you know of that can give me reliable information?
Internship while on the Army HPSP is not guaranteed. You essentially compete for army internship with all the other APPIC applicants.
But as an HPSP you HAVE to interview at all 5 internship locations ( I think Hawaii, Lewis, etc) but you are also competing not only other HPSP scholarship recipients but civilian students who want to go active duty after internship too. So it's a grueling process so be sure to keep your client and assessment hours super high. At least 600 and minimum 10 integrative reports on assessments. The more the better. Army wants to see you are well trained in the program. Fortunately, navy internship is a shoe-in for HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
What specific questions do you have? I'm pretty informed of both army and navy processs so I can try to help or direct u to the right people who can help.

Also, consider joining division 19 student section in APA. We are a tight community and lots of support from others who are already active duty. Yearly dues are only $10 and the level of support plus training is unmatched to any other division.

Found out today that I got an interview for the Navy HPSP, but I haven't had my medical exam (MEPS) yet. Anyone got info on what it's like and how hard it is to get cleared? I'm kind of surprised I was granted an interview without being cleared medically first.
Congratulations on interview. Where/when is it?

Get into MEPS ASAP!!!!! You may even get a call from the interviewer asking "have you been cleared medically?" As an after thought (I did!). If you answer "no" that might automatically put you on the wait list even if you do well on the interview. So if your recruiter is out, talk to your recruiters chain of command and get a MEPS apt scheduled... like next week!

Good stuff Koogy. I appreciate the willingness to help me out and answer questions.

My interview is at Portsmouth, VA on March 16.

My specific questions are about deployment and the different roles I would fill. The recruiter said that chances of me being deployed to Afghanistan would be slim, but from what I've read that is the place most psychologists are sent when they are deployed. Also read that a lot of psychologists are embedded with Marines and are very close to combat. The recruiter said that if I were to be deployed somewhere like that, that I would be in a safer area and nowhere close to the fighting. I understand that there is a chance of being in combat zone, but I just don't want to be thinking one thing the whole time and find out something completely different. My wife is reluctant about me joining the military, so I don't want there to be any surprises if I'm selected and we choose to do it.

As far as compensation (salary, allowances, bonuses, etc...) is concerned, what do you know about that? My recruiter told me that I could get the 20K sign-on bonus, which I believe to be incorrect. She also told me that there were three locations from which to apply for the APA internship (Bethesda, San Diego, and Bremerton), but my understanding is that there are only two (Bethesda and San Diego). Please let me know if I'm incorrect. And what about time serving in the reserve after my 3 year commitment is up? I was told I could go anywhere do anything I wanted and could be listed as inactive reserve for the remained of my 8 year total obligation. And what happens if I don't match with any of the Navy sites? Does that mean I have the opportunity to do my internship at other military sites or civilian sites?

I'm trying to get the MEPS scheduled, but they are reviewing my medical records right now. The recruiter said that they should be finished with everything this week and that I will schedule it shortly after that. The Navy recruiter has been really great helping me through the process, unlike the Army recruiter. I'm just wondering if she is more familiar with people who are medical and dental students and that's why the information has been a little off.

You're probably sorry you offered to answer questions now that I have bombarded you with several haha.

Good stuff Koogy. I appreciate the willingness to help me out and answer questions.

My interview is at Portsmouth, VA on March 16.

My specific questions are about deployment and the different roles I would fill. The recruiter said that chances of me being deployed to Afghanistan would be slim, but from what I've read that is the place most psychologists are sent when they are deployed. Also read that a lot of psychologists are embedded with Marines and are very close to combat. The recruiter said that if I were to be deployed somewhere like that, that I would be in a safer area and nowhere close to the fighting. I understand that there is a chance of being in combat zone, but I just don't want to be thinking one thing the whole time and find out something completely different. My wife is reluctant about me joining the military, so I don't want there to be any surprises if I'm selected and we choose to do it.

As far as compensation (salary, allowances, bonuses, etc...) is concerned, what do you know about that? My recruiter told me that I could get the 20K sign-on bonus, which I believe to be incorrect. She also told me that there were three locations from which to apply for the APA internship (Bethesda, San Diego, and Bremerton), but my understanding is that there are only two (Bethesda and San Diego). Please let me know if I'm incorrect. And what about time serving in the reserve after my 3 year commitment is up? I was told I could go anywhere do anything I wanted and could be listed as inactive reserve for the remained of my 8 year total obligation. And what happens if I don't match with any of the Navy sites? Does that mean I have the opportunity to do my internship at other military sites or civilian sites?

I'm trying to get the MEPS scheduled, but they are reviewing my medical records right now. The recruiter said that they should be finished with everything this week and that I will schedule it shortly after that. The Navy recruiter has been really great helping me through the process, unlike the Army recruiter. I'm just wondering if she is more familiar with people who are medical and dental students and that's why the information has been a little off.

You're probably sorry you offered to answer questions now that I have bombarded you with several haha.
Not at all, I'm glad to help! I was helped by many ahead of me so I'm happy to pay it forward.

I interview at the same place on the 15th. :) we will just miss each other,

About deployments-highly unlikely because we are drawing down. Also because deployment is pretty much necessary for promotion, there are more people who want to deploy than there are slots for deployment. So...if you don't want to deploy, you probably won't deploy.... but this is the military so there are no guarantees. I had a friend who was stationed in San Diego as a psychologist for several years. The. Out of nowhere he was deployed to Iraq for a year. However he was very much far in the back. He returned just fine and is now back to his other PCS &knew hospital location.

I don't know anything about being on ready reserve after your contract years (3) are up. But I do know that as soon as your three years commitment is completed you can resign your commission and go to the civilian world. However if those are your intentions, the Navy does not want to give someone a scholarship who may not stay on for a career. As far as internship, ...internship for HPSP recipients is only in Portsmouth Virginia, NOT at any other ssites like Bethesda or San Diego. Internship for HPS candidates is guaranteed by the way,
so you will not be competing with other any appic applicants.

If you don't get the scholarship but still want to join, decide to join you can your last year of your graduate program through appic you can try to match for the Navy internship. These internships that are completed through appic are in Bethesda Maryland or San Diego. If you went that route you would essentially commission right before you start internship. If I remember correctly entering the service that way will obligate you to seven years rather than the 3 years on HPSP.

There is not a sign on bonus for each HPSP scholarship recipients. The HPS the scholarship pays $2100 stipend every month and all of your tuition books medical insurance and student fees. Internship is paid very well as an H PSP scholarship compared to other any pig internships. I believe you would be paid as an O2 Lieutenant Pay ( I believe but check w recruiter for sure). Either way it's a boatload higher than what a civilian internship pays, plus BHA (basic housing allowance ode gin what zip code you are in, but with dependent sits substantial like $1-2,000 )

If your spouse is not in board, I don't encourage you to accept the scholarship. Joining the military, you can expect a lot of unknowns. I've seen many military marriages fall apart because the stress and changes on the non-military spouse were too much for the marriage to handle. You really have to want to be an officer and see yourself as an officer first and only a psychologist second. If being an officer isn't what you want, you will make for a very unhappy psychologists. Psych is only a part of your role in the navy. Leadership is primary. I can't stress that enough. Life in the higher ranks (officers) can be a great opportunity for travel/exploring/adventure. But it does our a considerable amount of string on family. So if your wife is an introvert and has a hard time making friends quick, it may be harder on her than others who are more independent/extraverted. Nevertheless, being an officer there are a lot more perks (like 30 days off plus all federal holidays), but it is still not an easy life. It depends what you want and what your goals are. For me- I've always wanted to serve and live the adnevure. It also would help pay for tuition. It's a best match For my goals. So you need to know what you want. If you are doing HPSP for the tuition and stipend, hear me clearly: it is not worth it. If money is the primary motivator for this, do not apply. You will be miserable. You have to want to serve.

Deployment (specifically being stuck on a boat /carrier for 6 months) is possible on second, third assignments. But the good thing about Navy (and army) is that there is a lot of choice on where you want your duty station to be. If you want to be embedded in a unit (like marines), you may go/do what /where they go/do. If you want to work at a hospital, you may get an awesome place (navy is always coastal :) They try to give you a 1st or 2nd choice. But there is always the risk of deployment. A new war can break out with new orders in a moment. FYI- You also will NOT be deployed from your first duty station assignment (which is about 1-3 years) because you are considered too "green" to be deployed on first assignment. You are "deplorable" until so much years/training has passed.

By the way, your "time ticker" doesn't start ticking until you are licensed. So if you get scholarship,be sure to do everything you can so the day you graduate you can pretty much be licensed (like taking the EPPP before graduation).

Read these publications:

http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/ResearchEducation/GME/TheNavyPsychologist/TNP-5-2.pdf

http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/ResearchEducation/GME/TheNavyPsychologist/TNP-6-2.pdf

Hopefully it can help you enter into the experience of a navy psych, even briefly to get a taste.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me privately if you need more specifics.

PS- remember that navy psych is an anomaly to a medcom recruiter. We are so rare they hardly know how to help us. So be persistent in your questions to get the right answers. You can even tell your recruiter "I heard I should be Med cleared before my interview" which is totally true.

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck at interviews everyone! I was blessed to be selected for the Navy HPSP last year and would be more than happy to provide any additional suggestions or share my experiences in applying. I see that Koogy has already hit it out of the ballpark with feedback ;)

Has anyone heard if Congress has approved the Army HPSP Scroll ?

Board met on the 13th. Does anyone know when we can expect the results? Based on what I've read from other threads for Army HPSP, it's usually within two weeks after the board meets. Hoping for the best!

I interviewed with Dr. Getka on March 16th. Hope everyone did well elsewhere!

shepard, I heard during the first week of May about HPSP results for the Navy. I'm pretty sure they are fairly consistent with a 3 week time-span after the board meets. Best of luck to all who interviewed!

Reactions: 1 users
Board met on the 13th. Does anyone know when we can expect the results? Based on what I've read from other threads for Army HPSP, it's usually within two weeks after the board meets. Hoping for the best!

I interviewed with Dr. Getka on March 16th. Hope everyone did well elsewhere!

I've heard the same thing as usctarheel19 from others who have commissioned in the Navy, usually in early to mid-May. I hope your interview went well and best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard the same thing as usctarheel19 from others who have commissioned in the Navy, usually in early to mid-May. I hope your interview went well and best of luck!

Thanks! Interview went very well and I got some positive feedback from Dr. Getka. Now I'm just hoping for the best!

shepard, I heard during the first week of May about HPSP results for the Navy. I'm pretty sure they are fairly consistent with a 3 week time-span after the board meets. Best of luck to all who interviewed!

Thanks for the reply. I suppose I'll keep compulsively checking my email and phone between now and then :) Thank goodness I don't have any huge projects due in the upcoming weeks!

Received an email from Dr. Getka this morning and I was selected. I'm looking forward to joining such a great community!

shepard, congratulations!! Make sure to look up the HPSP Clinical Psychology Recipients group on Facebook and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

I have my interview in March and I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the process can tell me a little bit about what to expect for the interview? I have been cleared through MEPS and my kit is in all that is left is the interview and I am going in blind.

I have my interview in March and I was wondering if anyone who has gone through the process can tell me a little bit about what to expect for the interview? I have been cleared through MEPS and my kit is in all that is left is the interview and I am going in blind.
Good luck on your interview. I can't speak for the Navy process, as I didn't apply there. I'm sure someone else on this forum can.

However, something that helped me with the Army process was keeping in mind that you'll be both an officer in the military as well as a future psychologist. A lot of folks seem to only focus on one or the other, forgetting that both aspects are important. For example, have behavioral examples about your leadership experiences as well as examples about your clinical/research skills. Prepare a genuine answer for the question "Why do you want to be an officer in the Navy?"

What specific questions do you have? I'm pretty informed of both army and navy processs so I can try to help or direct u to the right people who can help.

Also, consider joining division 19 student section in APA. We are a tight community and lots of support from others who are already active duty. Yearly dues are only $10 and the level of support plus training is unmatched to any other division.

Good morning, I have been invited for an interview for the Navy HPSP in Clinical Psychology. Was wondering if you could provide some tips on the best way to prepare for the interview? What would improve my chances of being selected for the program?

Received an email from Dr. Getka this morning and I was selected. I'm looking forward to joining such a great community!

Good morning. Congratulations on your selection! I have been invited for an interview for the Navy HPSP in Clinical Psychology. Was wondering if you could provide some tips on the best way to prepare for the interview? What would improve my chances of being selected for the program?

Best of luck at interviews everyone! I was blessed to be selected for the Navy HPSP last year and would be more than happy to provide any additional suggestions or share my experiences in applying. I see that Koogy has already hit it out of the ballpark with feedback ;)

Good morning. Congratulations on your selection! I have been invited for an interview for the Navy HPSP in Clinical Psychology. Was wondering if you could provide some tips on the best way to prepare for the interview? What would improve my chances of being selected for the program?

Not at all, I'm glad to help! I was helped by many ahead of me so I'm happy to pay it forward.

I interview at the same place on the 15th. :) we will just miss each other,

About deployments-highly unlikely because we are drawing down. Also because deployment is pretty much necessary for promotion, there are more people who want to deploy than there are slots for deployment. So...if you don't want to deploy, you probably won't deploy.... but this is the military so there are no guarantees. I had a friend who was stationed in San Diego as a psychologist for several years. The. Out of nowhere he was deployed to Iraq for a year. However he was very much far in the back. He returned just fine and is now back to his other PCS &knew hospital location.

I don't know anything about being on ready reserve after your contract years (3) are up. But I do know that as soon as your three years commitment is completed you can resign your commission and go to the civilian world. However if those are your intentions, the Navy does not want to give someone a scholarship who may not stay on for a career. As far as internship, ...internship for HPSP recipients is only in Portsmouth Virginia, NOT at any other ssites like Bethesda or San Diego. Internship for HPS candidates is guaranteed by the way,
so you will not be competing with other any appic applicants.

If you don't get the scholarship but still want to join, decide to join you can your last year of your graduate program through appic you can try to match for the Navy internship. These internships that are completed through appic are in Bethesda Maryland or San Diego. If you went that route you would essentially commission right before you start internship. If I remember correctly entering the service that way will obligate you to seven years rather than the 3 years on HPSP.

There is not a sign on bonus for each HPSP scholarship recipients. The HPS the scholarship pays $2100 stipend every month and all of your tuition books medical insurance and student fees. Internship is paid very well as an H PSP scholarship compared to other any pig internships. I believe you would be paid as an O2 Lieutenant Pay ( I believe but check w recruiter for sure). Either way it's a boatload higher than what a civilian internship pays, plus BHA (basic housing allowance ode gin what zip code you are in, but with dependent sits substantial like $1-2,000 )

If your spouse is not in board, I don't encourage you to accept the scholarship. Joining the military, you can expect a lot of unknowns. I've seen many military marriages fall apart because the stress and changes on the non-military spouse were too much for the marriage to handle. You really have to want to be an officer and see yourself as an officer first and only a psychologist second. If being an officer isn't what you want, you will make for a very unhappy psychologists. Psych is only a part of your role in the navy. Leadership is primary. I can't stress that enough. Life in the higher ranks (officers) can be a great opportunity for travel/exploring/adventure. But it does our a considerable amount of string on family. So if your wife is an introvert and has a hard time making friends quick, it may be harder on her than others who are more independent/extraverted. Nevertheless, being an officer there are a lot more perks (like 30 days off plus all federal holidays), but it is still not an easy life. It depends what you want and what your goals are. For me- I've always wanted to serve and live the adnevure. It also would help pay for tuition. It's a best match For my goals. So you need to know what you want. If you are doing HPSP for the tuition and stipend, hear me clearly: it is not worth it. If money is the primary motivator for this, do not apply. You will be miserable. You have to want to serve.

Deployment (specifically being stuck on a boat /carrier for 6 months) is possible on second, third assignments. But the good thing about Navy (and army) is that there is a lot of choice on where you want your duty station to be. If you want to be embedded in a unit (like marines), you may go/do what /where they go/do. If you want to work at a hospital, you may get an awesome place (navy is always coastal :) They try to give you a 1st or 2nd choice. But there is always the risk of deployment. A new war can break out with new orders in a moment. FYI- You also will NOT be deployed from your first duty station assignment (which is about 1-3 years) because you are considered too "green" to be deployed on first assignment. You are "deplorable" until so much years/training has passed.

By the way, your "time ticker" doesn't start ticking until you are licensed. So if you get scholarship,be sure to do everything you can so the day you graduate you can pretty much be licensed (like taking the EPPP before graduation).

Read these publications:

http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/ResearchEducation/GME/TheNavyPsychologist/TNP-5-2.pdf

http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/ResearchEducation/GME/TheNavyPsychologist/TNP-6-2.pdf

Hopefully it can help you enter into the experience of a navy psych, even briefly to get a taste.

Hope this helps. Feel free to message me privately if you need more specifics.

PS- remember that navy psych is an anomaly to a medcom recruiter. We are so rare they hardly know how to help us. So be persistent in your questions to get the right answers. You can even tell your recruiter "I heard I should be Med cleared before my interview" which is totally true.

Good morning. I have been invited for an interview for the Navy HPSP in Clinical Psychology. Was wondering if you could provide some tips on the best way to prepare for the interview? What would improve my chances of being selected for the program?

Has anyone heard anything for this years round of applicants? I know last year they were informed on May 3rd of last year and I was told to expect during the first week of May!? I know it's only the 2nd but it has been a long two months of waiting!

I have also been waiting to hear back. I was told it could take up to mid-May for announcements to go out.

Hi all, I got a call with a decision today. So they are going out, good luck!

Anyone else hear..or does anyone know if we will hear either way?