Psychology in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Everglow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've read plenty of doom and gloom about the state of psychology in the US on this forum, but I was wondering, how are things in Canada? From what I've read on the CPA's website and what not, it seems like things are OK (for now) but I was wondering if there are any practicing Canadian psychologists, or psych students, on the board that may be able to offer some insights into the state of the field in Canada, and perhaps more importantly, its future prospects? Is the field being attacked the way it is in the States?

I've been debating between pursing a career in clini. psych vs psychiatry, and I can say that if I were American I would most likely go for psychiatry. However, it appears as though psychology is more protected in Canada, doesn't have the same over-saturation problem that the States has, etc. Anyway, advice or insights (Canuck or Yank alike) are greatly appreciated!

All the best

Members don't see this ad.

I am no way in a position to speak about the field of psychology, as I too am based on reading and these posts. However, I wanted to just comment briefly on the note on going to psychiatry rather than psychology. I have heard similar comments in these threads, but one also should look into the state of psychiatry (which is under heavy scrutiny as well- in my opinion, probably more than psychology).

An interesting book into the critical perspectives of psychiatry and the field: "Unhinged." (http://www.amazon.com/Unhinged-Trou...LF1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320335062&sr=8-1) I read it non-stop without being able to put it down.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only in my first year of a Clinical Psych combined MA/Ph.d program, but I can say just from the comments of some of professional seminars and the faculty, that there is growing concern about MA level professionals who are allowed the title of "psychologist" in certain provinces, as well as social workers and alternative therapists, infringing on their practice. Whether this is just elitism from a bunch of Ph.d's or a valid assessment of the field, I don't know. However, there are also those who feel that this infringement is out of necessity as many rural areas, and even some urban areas simply don't have enough Ph.d level clinicians to meet the demand for services, and so they are forced to turn to the theoretically less qualified.

Again though, just a first year...

and your talking about your experience within Canada, right?

I am only in my first year of a Clinical Psych combined MA/Ph.d program, but I can say just from the comments of some of professional seminars and the faculty, that there is growing concern about MA level professionals who are allowed the title of "psychologist" in certain provinces, as well as social workers and alternative therapists, infringing on their practice. Whether this is just elitism from a bunch of Ph.d's or a valid assessment of the field, I don't know. However, there are also those who feel that this infringement is out of necessity as many rural areas, and even some urban areas simply don't have enough Ph.d level clinicians to meet the demand for services, and so they are forced to turn to the theoretically less qualified.

Again though, just a first year...

So, I've read plenty of doom and gloom about the state of psychology in the US on this forum, but I was wondering, how are things in Canada? From what I've read on the CPA's website and what not, it seems like things are OK (for now) but I was wondering if there are any practicing Canadian psychologists, or psych students, on the board that may be able to offer some insights into the state of the field in Canada, and perhaps more importantly, its future prospects? Is the field being attacked the way it is in the States?

I've been debating between pursing a career in clini. psych vs psychiatry, and I can say that if I were American I would most likely go for psychiatry. However, it appears as though psychology is more protected in Canada, doesn't have the same over-saturation problem that the States has, etc. Anyway, advice or insights (Canuck or Yank alike) are greatly appreciated!

All the best

My issue with this, is that it implies in some way that its as simple as choosing one over the other... A) the two fields require completely different course work and tests to get in, completely different extracurriculars (save for research in general), and frankly neither field is particularly easy to get into. People that go into one field or the other work their asses off to get in... so if you choose one, choose one with dedication.

My issue with this, is that it implies in some way that its as simple as choosing one over the other... A) the two fields require completely different course work and tests to get in, completely different extracurriculars (save for research in general), and frankly neither field is particularly easy to get into. People that go into one field or the other work their asses off to get in... so if you choose one, choose one with dedication.

I understand where you're coming from Justin. And for many people, you would be correct. However, I've got my bases covered for either path, so to speak! I doubled majored in bio and psych (all the necessary prereqs for either field), both GREs, the MCAT, lengthy research experience in medicine, psychology, and public health, plenty of volunteering, extra-currics etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really am interested in both fields! I know they are different, but they share many similarities. I'm really on the fence and could go either way. As such, I'm trying to gain as many different perspective as I can so that I may make a truly informed decision. And part of that is being informed about the state of the two fields in Canada, as opposed to down south!

I understand where you're coming from Justin. And for many people, you would be correct. However, I've got my bases covered for either path, so to speak! I doubled majored in bio and psych (all the necessary prereqs for either field), both GREs, the MCAT, lengthy research experience in medicine, psychology, and public health, plenty of volunteering, extra-currics etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really am interested in both fields! I know they are different, but they share many similarities. I'm really on the fence and could go either way. As such, I'm trying to gain as many different perspective as I can so that I may make a truly informed decision. And part of that is being informed about the state of the two fields in Canada, as opposed to down south!

Fair enough, especially since I was there too, in fact one step beyond that. best of luck with the decision. Ive learned, however, that you can get to pretty much anywhere you want doing either of those fields, aside from major practice areas like surgery.

Do your phd in clinical psych, move and settle in Louisiana or New Mexico, and complete a 2-year post-doc to get prescribing rights. Problem solved :)

Still a little confused as to why this conversation is taking place in a thread about the field of psychology in Canada vs. USA.